PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

His troll gene wasn't activated until recently. I don't mind if he starts his own threads, like his thread on the top 3 WR's , but mods should at the very least remove folks from threads that they purposely derail, like he has repeatedly done.

Two things I learned in marriage therapy were 1) I can accept the situation or get divorced - those are my only two options and 2) I was 50% responsible for the mess.

Cup of Joe does not derail threads. He is 50% responsible, but other posters can chose to ignore him or enable him to de-rail the threads - those are the options. Notice the majority of posters do not feed troll comments and it is a much better place that way.

When you ignore the fact that the Patriots used a 1st round pick to get Brandin Cooks, then yes, the 2017 draft was pathetic. BTW, I mentioned it in another thread that it was bad).
1st- traded for a #1 WR
4th- 11th pick in the 4th round was stolen by the league for defamegate

Did get Wise who has been an okay roleplayer.

@Ian how about a Forum bot that notices when two posters are going back and forth at each other and openly suspends them from posting for 48 hours? The pattern would be easy to recognize...one follows the other three times in a row, or two posters making up 8 out of 10 posts, or similar.

How is it NOT derailing a thread when the thread is about Thornton and he starts yammering on about 2nd round DB picks?

One post derails a thread? A thread is derailed when two or more posters argue. Ignore his post and he will go away. Trolls only exist if someone replies. Notice that the VAST majority of posters ignore him and only the SAME FEW feed the trolls. It is always the same trolls and always the same posters feeding the trolls.

Let’s get this thread back on track with celebrating this tremendous athlete that the Pats over drafted by at least two rounds…….

See this was already posted, you are also a troll and should be banned.

Let’s get this thread back on track with celebrating this tremendous athlete that the Pats over drafted by at least two rounds…….

MODS?
1652626386188.gif

My distain for the Captain’s unceasing negativity is well documented but at least he doesn’t start useless, trolling threads or try to intentionally derail useful threads started by others.

That's it. We are screwed for the next decade.

That's it. We are screwed for the next decade.

Disagree. As I pointed out before, his pitch starts out as a strike and then bends about 4 feet horizontally and 1 foot vertically. If he'd started the pitch to the right 4 feet it would be a strike and virtually unhittable. Imagine the reaction of right handed batters. This guy needs to be picked up by the Sox!

Thread derailment is when someone decides to talk about something totally unrelated to the thread topic.

OK, technically correct. Let's use another descriptive term then. "Thread ruination" is when two posters get into a childish back and forth that is impossible to wade through and speaks to some kind of emotional need that a sports forum can't possibly meet.

Only if you pay attention to the post. Put him on ignore or don't read the post and there is no harm done. You can make special definitions to justify your emotional response, or ignore the post. The VAST MAJORITY of the posters ignore the post - that might be a hint of the correct reponse to trolling or thread derailment or whatever other phrase you want to define.
You're absolutely right, but this **** does get immensely ****ing tiring. This past year is the first time in nearly 20 years that I have employed the ignore function. Should never be necessary, but here we are.

You know my stance. I find that the "Draftniks" are useful for the information they provide. But that stops when they start putting their opinion on where players are likely to be drafted.
I have to say this is a little odd bc the most frequently asked question or 2nd most is "what round do you think so & so should go"
The draft is all about finding out where talent & need meet, which creates a value. You'll never be valued if you can't tell someone where a prospect should be taken.

2 things every draftnik should be able to do...

Have a firm handle on the prospect = What he was asked to do vs what he can. Strengths/issues. Where he'll fit to start out. Background etc

Where he should be taken
I don't believe that draftniks should get credit for a player they projected as a 1st rounder who got taken at 77 or 83. They should get credit if they projected a player to go higher than the "consensus" and the player does.
The Mel Kipers of the world are more concerned with where a prospect is going specifically on draft. Whereas I'm concerned with both short & long term. I want to be inline with the NFL in real time but want to look back in 3-5 years and say "ultimately that's where he should have went" ... again it goes back to value.

But yea different people will take different approaches. Kiper, McShay and those guys are selling a product & presentation > being right.
But this is just me because people hold the "Draftniks" as gospel and outright refuse to think the draftniks could be wrong despite the fact they are wrong time and again, year after year.
I dont know about this. Most don't take them serious bc "they don't work for the NFL" or "do it from their couch" or will pick the low hanging fruit to go after when looking at the community.
And I'll be the first to admit I don't pay attention to 99% of them. I don't read the 10000 articles or mock drafts. I can honestly say I don't read that stuff or listen to podcast or even TV. It's crazy a cut so much of that out years ago and don't regret it.

Anyway I dont care about it bc I just don't have time and are so focused and used to doing my own thing but some are very useful. And at least a small % can hang with the NFL guys imo if not do better given the resources.

This year the consensus board hit on 83% of the top 150 taken. That's not bad considering the difference in resources and information people are getting. And if you look at it from the other side. The pros are given everything on silver plater nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago. It's incredible how much for information is available in terms of gathering background, analysis/analytics, on field data like play speed and on and on.

Those guys are given a huge head start in comparison. Again it's a small %, very few but if they were given the opportunity I bet some could do great things. I think every office could use a little help from the outside bc everyone is in a bubble whether they admit it or not. Coaches, scouts, draft geeks. Everyone. I don't think one or two extra set of fresh eyes would hurt.

I have to say this is a little odd bc the most frequently asked question or 2nd most is "what round do you think so & so should go"
The draft is all about finding out where talent & need meet, which creates a value. You'll never be valued if you can't tell someone where a prospect should be taken.

2 things every draftnik should be able to do...

Have a firm handle on the prospect = What he was asked to do vs what he can. Strengths/issues. Where he'll fit to start out. Background etc

Where he should be taken
I don't lump you in with the "draftnicks" for a few reasons. You admit to being human. You admit your limitations. You admit that you can make mistakes. The "draftnicks" don't do that. They act like they are "God's Gift" to drafting. It's why they put out the "Draft Grades" and make asinine claims about players like Strange being reaches or Kellen Diesch being a steal because he went undrafted despite having a 3rd round grade. There's a reason that every team passed on Diesch at least 4 times. I have no idea what it is, but the teams do. Same with the likes of Josh Jobe, and a slew of others. Diesch may indeed be a steal. He may end up being an amazing All-Pro. I don't know.

A perfect example is Thornton. The "draftnicks" almost to a T said he was a 5th rounder. There were a couple outliers but the majority said 5th round. The biggest reason they said this is because of Thornton's build. They harped on the fact that the kid has small hands, small wrists and skinny legs. This is in addition to erroneously claiming he had a limited route tree. They completely over-looked that Thornton only missed 3 games at Baylor. Baylor reported that the injury was "undisclosed" but I believe it was a concussion. Beyond that, he never had a problem with his arm/legs for injury. The people harp on his "small hands" because they think it makes his hands weak. I can't find anything that said the kid had issues with drops or fumbles during his college career. I'm certain if they'd been an issue, we'd have heard about it.

This year the consensus board hit on 83% of the top 150 taken. That's not bad considering the difference in resources and information people are getting. And if you look at it from the other side. The pros are given everything on silver plater nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago. It's incredible how much for information is available in terms of gathering background, analysis/analytics, on field data like play speed and on and on.

Those guys are given a huge head start in comparison. Again it's a small %, very few but if they were given the opportunity I bet some could do great things. I think every office could use a little help from the outside bc everyone is in a bubble whether they admit it or not. Coaches, scouts, draft geeks. Everyone. I don't think one or two extra set of fresh eyes would hurt.

See, I couldn't care less about them guessing "83% of the top 150". That's 47% of the 262 draft picks. That doesn't interest me. Nor do "draft grades" since they are just the "Draftnicks" opinion on how a team did based on the "draftnicks" flawed ranking of the players. Far too many people think that the "Draftnicks" are the "Holy Grail" and that if teams don't do what the draftnicks say, that the teams are the ones who are wrong. There are numerous examples of this on this board.

I disagree that "pros are given everything on a silver platter". Those scouting departments bust their asses watching games, reviewing tape, trying to glean any information they can on players. They still put in the work.

Maybe I'm harder on most of the "draftnicks" because they have actual budgets and can get the ALL-22 and such. Maybe it's unfair that I compare them to Buschbaum who actually sat with Belichick and learned from him to the point where Belichick valued him so highly that he wanted to hire him. Buschbaum, despite never playing, made a point to try and learn from the best and use that knowledge to shape how he evaluated players. You come across as having done that sort of learning as well in addition to your other experiences.

As for having a fresh set of eyes. If I didn't believe that would be a good thing, you and I would never have had some of the conversations we did. Having a different process to do the evaluations isn't a bad thing. The problem is that I don't believe that most of these "draftnicks" do.

“(Cole) said, ‘Sir, I don’t mean to be disrespectful at all, but I’ve gotta know because I’ve got some crazy friends. Is this a prank?’ The guy said, ‘Hold on just a second.’ And then Bill Belichick got on the phone and of course, unless you’ve been under a rock for the last 20 years, you know Bill Belichick’s voice.

This is probably why Berj Najarian shook his head a little bit.

Come on Cole, act like you've been there before!!!!

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back