PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cole Strange ... Sell me on him moving to Tackle

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I've seen this in two or three threads now - that Cole Strange will end up as a Tackle instead of Guard

So, tbh, I don't get this theoretical move from Guard to Tackle...

On one hand, its great... Our much maligned first round grab pans out to be a serviceable Tackle, meaning the pick wasn't wasted on "just a guard"... We get a young decent Tackle, on a cheap rookie deal, its a win...

On the other, I didn't really see much last year that would allow for such a transition... That doesn't really matter, because it was the furthest thing from my mind... I probably thought more about you tube cat videos than moving Strange from Guard to Tackle last year... He has issues handling straight line pressures (aka the bull rush) and had some issues with the quicker defenders using stunts to beat him in the turn... Him whiffing on those on the outside could be potentially disastrous...

So should we try to make this happen? If we do, will he miss much needed reps on the interior of the line, learning how to fine tune his penciled in position at LG?

Last edited:
How often do Guards move to Tackle?

In the past, BB loved to draft Tackles and convert them to Guard, but dont think it works as well in reverse

Last edited:
I've seen this in two or three threads now - that Cole Strange will end up as a Tackle instead of Guard

On one hand, its great... Our much maligned first round grab pans out to be a serviceable Tackle, meaning the pick wasn't wasted on "just a guard"... We get a young decent Tackle, on a cheap rookie deal, its a win...

On the other, I didn't really see much last year that would allow for such a transition... That doesn't really matter, because it was the furthest thing from my mind... I probably thought more about you tube cat videos than moving Strange from Guard to Tackle last year... He has issues handling straight line pressures (aka the bull rush) and had some issues with the quicker defenders using stunts to beat him in the turn... Him whiffing on those on the outside could be potentially disastrous...

So should we try to make this happen? If we do, will be miss much needed reps on the interior of the line, learning how to fine tune his penciled in position at LG?
Mac Jones don't approve that message. :)

I can't comment on Strange, but I can comment on "Just a guard." I think it's an old idea and that guards are now very important, or at least the lack of guards on many teams caused huge problems last year. Let's ask Matt Stafford if he's still laughing along with his coach at the prospect of taking a guard in the 1st round. Nothing like getting hammered repeatedly by rushes up the middle to make you take a second look.

Strange is very fast and very strong. I think he fits in the mold of some of our past very good tackles from the past. Plus some of the self proclaimed expert posters on the site think guards are a waste of time, can be found any where and are pretty much worthless. Since he was a high round draft pick they think the only way he can be valuable is to move to tackle.

I can't comment on Strange, but I can comment on "Just a guard." I think it's an old idea and that guards are now very important, or at least the lack of guards on many teams caused huge problems last year. Let's ask Matt Stafford if he's still laughing along with his coach at the prospect of taking a guard in the 1st round. Nothing like getting hammered repeatedly by rushes up the middle to make you take a second look.
Oh I agree... the O Line is the most important unit on the field at any given time... When there are hiccups on the line, everybody notices...

In the past, BB loved to draft Tackles and convert them to Guard, but dont think it works as well in the reverse direction
I kinda agree with this ... on occasion you need it to happen out of necessity (injuries and the like)... but its not routinely done...

thats why I thought that the idea was kinda strange, no pun intended... but ive seen it bandied about a few times

I've seen this in two or three threads now - that Cole Strange will end up as a Tackle instead of Guarder

So should we try to make this happen? If we do, will be miss much needed reps on the interior of the line, learning how to fine tune his penciled in position at LG?
Well I'll make a case, though I believe that the likelihood of it happening is VERY remote.

Wynn, when he was healthy and totally invested in the team was a fairly effective LT, He was considered on the short side at 6'2 but was extremely athletic. Sort of a guy who was created to defend against the uber-athletic but smaller edge rushers the NFL trots out these days. You know who I mean, the 230-240 guys who can run 4.5's.

Well compare him to Strange who is 6'5 and might be a BETTER pure athlete than Wynn. IIRC he was 307 at the combine with room to grow.
Strange had a mixed rookie season amid the chaos of last season. He was excellent at picking up defensive stunts and movement, but sometimes looked like he could be pushed around by bigger power rushing DT's. SO, why not move him out to LT where his athleticism and quick feet will be more showcased AND needed, and he will no longer be forced to deal with the bigger stronger DT's

That is A case for the move, but for all we know Strange has added 10 pounds of muscle this off season and will be more effective vs big power guys inside. We'll know their plans for him by August, or maybe in OTA's

I'm not selling this to you because I wouldn't buy it myself.

I keep going back to the same question: Why wasn't he the Starting Left Tackle on his own little rinky-dink college team?

I'm not selling this to you because I wouldn't buy it myself.

I keep going back to the same question: Why wasn't he the Starting Left Tackle on his own little rinky-dink college team?
I think he has a good future in the NFL .. At guard... Im more worried about him learning that role than I am him moving to tackle

Well I'll make a case, though I believe that the likelihood of it happening is VERY remote.

Wynn, when he was healthy and totally invested in the team was a fairly effective LT, He was considered on the short side at 6'2 but was extremely athletic. Sort of a guy who was created to defend against the uber-athletic but smaller edge rushers the NFL trots out these days. You know who I mean, the 230-240 guys who can run 4.5's.

Well compare him to Strange who is 6'5 and might be a BETTER pure athlete than Wynn. IIRC he was 307 at the combine with room to grow.
Strange had a mixed rookie season amid the chaos of last season. He was excellent at picking up defensive stunts and movement, but sometimes looked like he could be pushed around by bigger power rushing DT's. SO, why not move him out to LT where his athleticism and quick feet will be more showcased AND needed, and he will no longer be forced to deal with the bigger stronger DT's

That is A case for the move, but for all we know Strange has added 10 pounds of muscle this off season and will be more effective vs big power guys inside. We'll know their plans for him by August, or maybe in OTA's
I agree. Strange athleticism and mobility numbers are off the charts, which could help him at T. However, this is football and the skills that make a player good at a position are not easily quantifiable in workouts.
I think it’s an interesting prospect and I think wherever he ends up he is going to be very good.

Cole Strange weighs similar to Matt Light's playing weight, and he is 3 inches taller. And more athletic.

I only post this as an attempt at selling the theory above. No idea if it is a good idea or not.

In the past, BB loved to draft Tackles and convert them to Guard, but dont think it works as well in the reverse direction
OG to OT almost never happens.

As for BB he didn't just "love" to do it, it was almost all he did. I think Shaq Mason was the first college guard he drafted.

As a data point, the picture Jones posted yesterday had Strange at LG.

Cole Strange weighs similar to Matt Light's playing weight, and he is 3 inches taller. And more athletic.

I only post this as an attempt at selling the theory above. No idea if it is a good idea or not.

Both Light & Strange69 measured slightly more than 6'4-1/2", though Light weighed about a half-dozen pounds more.

Strange is more athletic than Light was, no doubt about that.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back