PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could it be this simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back, Patchick. We've missed you the past few days. Let me guess - spring break with the Patchicklets?

Kind of you! Just had some out-of-town family obligations. Spring break is coming, though...I'll have limited internet access for about a week including draft weekend! :eek:

Kind of you! Just had some out-of-town family obligations. Spring break is coming, though...I'll have limited internet access for about a week including draft weekend! :eek:

Mine ends tomorrow, thank God.

I really have mixed emotions. I think I was one of the first on this board to suggest the Mayo-laga beast would be awesome in the middle of the PATs defense.

However, I am concerned about Rey's ability to play within BB's discipline oriented scheme and his ability to absorb the defense.

The good news is that if BB feels strongly enough about the kid to draft him anywhere, I would be ecstatic.

If he doesn't, I won't be disappointed, as he is not one of my "binkies" (that honor goes to Larry English, Patrick Chung and Brian Robiskie).

Last edited:
Is it possible that the scouts, the writers, those who pay to develop draft books, the media are all deluded by combine stats and that we are right in thinking that Maualuga isn't worth a 1st rounder as an inside linebacker? Is it reasonable to believe that Maualuga has no more talent and potential than the 4th rounders we have the patriots drafting as a future starter at ILB?

I think that it is much more likely that Maualuga is a first round talent who would be a fine four-year starter next to Mayo at ILB if we draft him in the first round and sign him to a five year contract. That gives him one year to develop under Bruschi.

Some don't think that a starting ILB is worth another first. I understand and disagree, but the position makes a lot sense. Some believe that there are much better values at 23 or in the teens where Maualuga will likely be drafted. I understand this position and agree that more value MAY be there. Jenkins certainly stands out as a possibility. What I don't understand is the valuation of Maualuga as not being worth a first (or the #34).

Is it possible that the scouts, the writers, those who pay to develop draft books, the media are all deluded by combine stats and that we are right in thinking that Maualuga isn't worth a 1st rounder as an inside linebacker? Is it reasonable to believe that Maualuga has no more talent and potential than the 4th rounders we have the patriots drafting as a future starter at ILB?

I think that it is much more likely that Maualuga is a first round talent who would be a fine four-year starter next to Mayo at ILB if we draft him in the first round and sign him to a five year contract.

Some don't think that a starting ILB is worth another first.
I understand and disagree, but the position makes a lot sense. Some believe that there are much better values at 23 or in the teens where Maualuga will likely be drafted. I understand this position and agree that more value MAY be there. Jenkins certainly stands out as a possibility. What I don't understand is the valuation of Maualuga as not being worth a first (or the #34).

Hmm...I'm not on board with your dichotomy. There are other options besides "the Pats should take him in the 1st" and "all the draft experts are wrong, he's not worth a day-1 pick." In fact, I think almost everybody here thinks Maualuga is worth a 1st rounder -- to somebody. For instance, many of those who feel he'd be a lousy fit with the Pats also say he'd be a beast in the Ravens defense.

Edit: and as for the statement in bold, I think that's a pure straw man. NOBODY has said that. They just said they don't think Maualuga (or Laurinaitis) is that guy.

Last edited:
I got a great place for Rey..... The Saints at #14

who wants a liability in coverage....

His responsibility will be to take the straight drop. Mayo with his 4.5 will be the guy that takes the back out, or the TE short.

That perceived liability is minimized in the 3-4, Guyton i think wil be in the nickel package anyway. And this shortcoming may be what drops him down to us.

I think that it is much more likely that Maualuga is a first round talent who would be a fine four-year starter next to Mayo at ILB if we draft him in the first round and sign him to a five year contract. That gives him one year to develop under Bruschi.

Some don't think that a starting ILB is worth another first. I understand and disagree, but the position makes a lot sense. Some believe that there are much better values at 23 or in the teens where Maualuga will likely be drafted. I understand this position and agree that more value MAY be there. Jenkins certainly stands out as a possibility. What I don't understand is the valuation of Maualuga as not being worth a first (or the #34).

I agree, and I dothink ILBs are worth a first rounder, especially if they improve your run defense and force opposing offenses to be one dimensional.

The question I have with ReyMal is can we project to be a starting ILB in OUR defense?

Agreed. In the end, Belichick has made that determination. I would think that if he indeed is projected to be a starter by Belichick, then he will be a patriot, perhaps unless Jenkins is available.

I agree, and I dothink ILBs are worth a first rounder, especially if they improve your run defense and force opposing offenses to be one dimensional.

The question I have with ReyMal is can we project to be a starting ILB in OUR defense?

I would phrase it slightly differently. I don't think it has to be as black or white as you put it, with one group being right and the other wrong. Maualuga can be a 1st round talent but not right for the Pats.

I think Maualuga is a fine player and probably a first round talent in the right system. I've had him going #26 to the Ravens for a while now, and I think that he could be a dynamite player in the Ray Lewis mold in a system which protects him and plays to his strengths. The system that the Pats run now is not such a system, and in fact makes demands which play to some of Maualuga's weaknesses - a schematically complex system requiring discipline to play your area rather than to freelance, and which emphasizes taking on blockers. Those just aren't Maualuga's strengths, regardless of whether you see him as a 2 down or 3 down player. BB could obviously change things to play to Maualuga's strength and protect against his weakness, but that would entail a fairly dramatic change in defensive scheme. I'm not sure that the player warrants that.

I'm happy to accept that SILB is worthy of a 1st round pick, if there is a worthy player in terms of both talent and schematic match. I had pegged Brandon Spikes as such a player. At one time I had hopes that Maualuga would be such a player, but I just don't see it. Obviously, if the Pats see something that I don't I will accept it and hope for the best.

Whatever else, I think it is fairly clear that the average draft expert has less understanding of the intricacies of the Pats' system and draft tendencies than many of the more experiences people on this board. Time and time again some so-called "expert" makes a pick which doesn't fit the Pats style at all. Obviously BB is somewhat unpredictable and has made fools of us all over the years, but I think that we have some idea of what kind of skills are likely to make a good positional fit. Many people look at Maualuga and see a 250# ILB who hits like a ton of bricks and immediately peg him as a 3-4 SILB perfect fit to the Pats. Regardless of whether he actually is or not, it is somewhat more complicated than that.

We shall know soon. As you know, my choice has been Laurinitis as our ILB. I had rejected Maualuga because of his Wonderlic. But he is a great talent. I will be disappointed if we don't get an early ILB, in addition to a late one. I didn't think Bruschi was performing as well as Vrabel and Seau. They are gone. Guyton is OK, but even if he is a starter, we need TWO rotational ILB's for 2010, and it takes a year to develop one, unless his name is Mayo. We are asking a lot of Bruschi and Guyton this year.

I think ILB is much more a need than OLB, although I do understand that the ILB need could be met on Day Two. Personally, I would like to see Crable and Redd develop, and perhaps even see if Woods is good enough to sign to a long-term contract. Banta-Cain is much more ready to play that almost any of the prospects that we would draft.

I would be ecstatic if we drafted an OLB who is capable of starting this year. That would be awesome. I thought that Everett Brown was the most likely candidate, with Mathews the next most likely. If we added a starter at OLB, I think Woods would still start, and Thomas would move inside. I think Belichick paid for Woods and Banta-Cain with the expectation that Woods would start and that Banta-Cain would be the first off the bench. That is, UNLESS Crable is ready.

I would phrase it slightly differently. I don't think it has to be as black or white as you put it, with one group being right and the other wrong. Maualuga can be a 1st round talent but not right for the Pats.

I think Maualuga is a fine player and probably a first round talent in the right system. I've had him going #26 to the Ravens for a while now, and I think that he could be a dynamite player in the Ray Lewis mold in a system which protects him and plays to his strengths. The system that the Pats run now is not such a system, and in fact makes demands which play to some of Maualuga's weaknesses - a schematically complex system requiring discipline to play your area rather than to freelance, and which emphasizes taking on blockers. Those just aren't Maualuga's strengths, regardless of whether you see him as a 2 down or 3 down player. BB could obviously change things to play to Maualuga's strength and protect against his weakness, but that would entail a fairly dramatic change in defensive scheme. I'm not sure that the player warrants that.

I'm happy to accept that SILB is worthy of a 1st round pick, if there is a worthy player in terms of both talent and schematic match. I had pegged Brandon Spikes as such a player. At one time I had hopes that Maualuga would be such a player, but I just don't see it. Obviously, if the Pats see something that I don't I will accept it and hope for the best.

Whatever else, I think it is fairly clear that the average draft expert has less understanding of the intricacies of the Pats' system and draft tendencies than many of the more experiences people on this board. Time and time again some so-called "expert" makes a pick which doesn't fit the Pats style at all. Obviously BB is somewhat unpredictable and has made fools of us all over the years, but I think that we have some idea of what kind of skills are likely to make a good positional fit. Many people look at Maualuga and see a 250# ILB who hits like a ton of bricks and immediately peg him as a 3-4 SILB perfect fit to the Pats. Regardless of whether he actually is or not, it is somewhat more complicated than that.

I would be ecstatic if we drafted an OLB who is capable of starting this year. That would be awesome. I thought that Everett Brown was the most likely candidate, with Mathews the next most likely. If we added a starter at OLB, I think Woods would still start, and Thomas would move inside. I think Belichick paid for Woods and Banta-Cain with the expectation that Woods would start and that Banta-Cain would be the first off the bench. That is, UNLESS Crable is ready.

As you say, we shall know soon. I've never seen Laurinaitis as a good fit for the Pats, but at this point I actually prefer him to Maualuga. My concern is that I see him as a pure WILB and as a lesser version of Mayo. I don't particularly want to move Mayo to SILB. If BB decides that he wants 2 similar guys (sort of like the hybrid SS/FS discussion) and wants to go with Laurinaitis at 34 then I'd be willing to try it, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Depending on who we get in the draft and who we sign, I think it's quite possible that Adalius Thomas could start the year at OLB but end up moving back inside to SILB by around the mid-point of the season. I think Thomas would make a better SILB than anyone we could get in the draft, and if our OLBs show enough promise then we could end up making that move and sticking with it for the remainder of Thomas' tenure with the Pats.

Again, I still shed tears that Brandon Spikes didn't come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes