PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts shopping Robert Mathis (pats involved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Can you name anyone currently on this roster who could realistically get to double digit sacks like Mathis? This defense needs help. Even if Mathis is a 'rental player', adding a credible passrush could potentially help this porous secondary so much!

And did you honestly say - "if BB let the DL not worry about also playing the run"? Hello, if you don't stop the run in this league, you're dead in the water. 3rd and longs are a lot easier to stop than 3rd and shorts. If you're not stopping the run on early downs you're setting yourself up for 3rd and shorts and that opens up the playbook for the opposing offense.

Who cares about "double digit" sack numbers... I don't because they aren't guaranteed. Not to mention they don't guarantee the ball being turned over.

I liked what I saw from the pats last week in terms of the pass rush.. And I think that the Dallas O-line will make the Pass rush look even better and should help the Pats win the game.

Yes, Mathis might be nice, if the Pats were going to a 4-3 single gap system and maybe BB is leaning that way. But I'll only believe it when it actually shows up on the field.

I'm skeptical of adding anybody at this point in the season who hasn't played in the system before.

I'd trade a 4 and 6 for him and Wayne. No more.

That's a good point. While I'm obviously not in favor of the trade, DE is probably one position that I would think would be an easier transition at this point in the season. That said, I still think it would be difficult. On a side note, if the rumors are true it makes you wonder what the Colts will look like next year. Manning/Luck/Etc could be in for a long season.

That's a good point. While I'm obviously not in favor of the trade, DE is probably one position that I would think would be an easier transition at this point in the season. That said, I still think it would be difficult. On a side note, if the rumors are true it makes you wonder what the Colts will look like next year. Manning/Luck/Etc could be in for a long season.

The Colts build by loading up on offense. Their defense is built on quick small guys, swarming to the ball. In other words, they build to keep Manning happy. If they win the Luck sweepstakes, they will undoubtedly draft him. But they will also have a lot of high draft picks to load up in other areas of need. If they don't plan on spending a lot of money to retain older veterans like Mathis and Wayne, they could save a lot of money to spend in other areas plus have extra draft choices to rebuild. Mathis doesn't play on offense, so it won't really affect Peyton's play if he's there or not.

Who cares about "double digit" sack numbers... I don't because they aren't guaranteed. Not to mention they don't guarantee the ball being turned over.

Nothing's guaranteed in football. But have you seen Mathis' production over the years?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MathRo20.htm

6 seasons of 9.5 or more sacks in his first 8 seasons in the NFL. And he's on pace for another double digit sack performance in 2011. We all know that sacks are not the same as 'pressures'. But a guy who generates a lot of sacks as a natural byproduct is also generating a lot of pressure on the QB. Can we predict as a fact that Mathis will transition perfectly to the Pats system?

Of course not. But that would be true of nearly any free agent passrusher that we would consider signing next year. Only we have the opportunity to attempt to 'upgrade' the defense this year, before the trading deadline, in time for a possible Superbowl run, in a season in which Tom Brady is possibly playing the best football of his career. If theres even a CHANCE that Mathis could increase our odds of winning a championship in this prime year, shouldn't the Pats take it? Especially when the drawbacks are fairly minimal -- 3rd round pick with terrible track record of 3rd rounders, and only about 1.5 salary left to pay out over the final 10 games.

Last edited:
I wonder how Peyton feels about this?

Where's IndyKen? It would be interesting to get his perspective.

Nothing's guaranteed in football. But have you seen Mathis' production over the years?

Robert Mathis NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

6 seasons of 9.5 or more sacks in his first 8 seasons in the NFL. And he's on pace for another double digit sack performance in 2011. We all know that sacks are not the same as 'pressures'. But a guy who generates a lot of sacks as a natural byproduct is also generating a lot of pressure on the QB. Can we predict as a fact that Mathis will transition perfectly to the Pats system?

Of course not. But that would be true of nearly any free agent passrusher that we would consider signing next year. Only we have the opportunity to attempt to 'upgrade' the defense this year, before the trading deadline, in time for a possible Superbowl run, in a season in which Tom Brady is possibly playing the best football of his career. If theres even a CHANCE that Mathis could increase our odds of winning a championship in this prime year, shouldn't the Pats take it? Especially when the drawbacks are fairly minimal -- 3rd round pick with terrible track record of 3rd rounders, and only about 1.5 salary left to pay out over the final 10 games.

The drawbacks are minimal?? How do you figure? The guy is 6'2 and 245lbs. He's never played in a 2 gap system. So, it's a huge assumption that he'd be an upgrade to the system.

Again, you chose to overlook that the team has been getting pressure on opposing QBs and say let's throw a 3rd round pick and 1.5 million out the window in the faint hope the guy can come in and be productive?

I think it's more likely I guess one of the powerball numbers this weekend than it is for Mathis to come in and be productive.. But that's just me..

Congratulations on your Powerball win!

I can just hear the fanbase if the Jets trade for him.....BOWL !!! :eek:

The drawbacks are minimal?? How do you figure? The guy is 6'2 and 245lbs. He's never played in a 2 gap system. So, it's a huge assumption that he'd be an upgrade to the system.

Again, you chose to overlook that the team has been getting pressure on opposing QBs and say let's throw a 3rd round pick and 1.5 million out the window in the faint hope the guy can come in and be productive?

I think it's more likely I guess one of the powerball numbers this weekend than it is for Mathis to come in and be productive.. But that's just me..
I also imagine Mathis playing as a situational pass rusher in the Mike Wright mould. It's not out of the realm of possibilities I just don't think it'll get done. It would bring an interesting "fear" factor to the defense with the acquisition of another name.

Last edited:
Mathis would be a significant and obvious upgrade to our pass rush. His speed is unmatched by anyone on the defensive line of our team. But since it is so obvious, it is not going to happen because our draft picks and trades must typically be very mysterious and frown-worthy.

This is a lot of posts based off an Adam Schefter comment about what he would do if he were running the Colts. He also said:

What about Mathis, Wayne trades? ... As explained, Colts should but won't trade them, too. Makes sense; won't happen.

Twitter

huh, so much for the trade talks then :rolleyes:

It would be great if they made this move!

This is real dumb....what are the colts think they are doing trading anyone.

a decent qb and some DT will that team a contender. !!!

I can't believe we're gettin Jarod Allen, Brandon Lloyd, Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne.......which jersey do I buy first?

This is real dumb....what are the colts think they are doing trading anyone.

a decent qb and some DT will that team a contender. !!!

And some linebackers, and better offensive linemen.

Kinda like BenJarvus Green-Ellis is a JAG and wouldn't contribute on any other team in the NFL? Are you attempting to promote that same mindset?

I stand by that comment, well, at least the original comment before you distorted it's intent. If Green-Ellis left the Pats, he wouldn't find a starting job. He could probably 'contribute' somewhere. I don't know what that level of contribution would be, but he could at least give a starter a breather. Maybe a short yardage back for a team with a finesse starter?

VJCPatriot said:
Really? Can you name anyone currently on this roster who could realistically get to double digit sacks like Mathis?

Hey, don't look now, but Mark Anderson is on pace for 11 sacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News