PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts shopping Robert Mathis (pats involved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colts are losing, they aren't ******ed. What could they possibly gain by this trade? The only reason their defense even works is because of Mathis and Freeny. Trading Mathis and/or Wayne would be like us trading Seymour and/or Moss because Brady went on IR. Wait a minute... maybe the Colts are ahead of the game :eek:
If the Colts management have half a brain they would realise Manning isn't going to be around forever and they have a need to philosophically change the way they build their roster. Better to cash in at a reasonable rate than not cash in at all.

Last edited:
I'd assume Colts would be looking for more than a third.
For a third, I agree, Pats should do it.

In free agency, he could fetch a fourth, maybe fifth. So the rental would be the difference between a third and say a fifth.

As others have pointed out, the track record of third round picks is weak.

And I would totally assume a rental. I believe Belichick will switch back to a 3-4 next season.

But could help move the Patriots up to #29 on defense.

If the Colts management have half a brain they would realise Manning isn't going to be around forever and they have a need to philosophically change the way they build their roster. Better to cash in at a reasonable rate than not cash in at all.

But Manning not being around forever is precisely the reason they cannot afford to make risky moves like trading away their best players for draft picks right now. What happens when Manning is back next year and the defense sucks because of no Mathis and the offense also sucks because of no Wayne?

But Manning not being around forever is precisely the reason they cannot afford to make risky moves like trading away their best players for draft picks right now. What happens when Manning is back next year and the defense sucks because of no Mathis and the offense also sucks because of no Wayne?
That all depends on the health of Peyton Manning. We really won't know that until he's cleared to play again. Whichever way you look at it, despite Manning's greatness the Colts fortunes look to be on the slide.

Personally, I don't think they'll make these moves but it is interesting discussing them.

That all depends on the health of Peyton Manning. We really won't know that until he's cleared to play again. Whichever way you look at it, despite Manning's greatness the Colts fortunes look to be on the slide.

Personally, I don't think they'll make these moves but it is interesting discussing them.

That, we can both agree on.

A question for all those Mathis fans who have in this thread been dazzled by his impressive and consistent sack totals. Before I would feel comfortable taking on a 6'2 245 pound DE with no experience as an OLB, I would like to know the following information.

Over his career how many of his sacks and QB hits have come in the confines of the Dome in INDY, where the turf and noise gave a tremendous advantage to the Colt DL. I would need to know how he'd project on field turf and the cold and wet of NE weather and outdoor away game

Finally the bigger question is do we really need another outside rusher, when our interior explosiveness is now on the IR

Last edited:
If they are dumping Wayne will PM EVER be coming back?

It's funny.

You never see anyone on this forum mention Mathis as a pass rushing threat to be wary of when we play the Colts.

But now that he's on the trading block look out, he's a monster pass rusher!

It's funny.

You never see anyone on this forum mention Mathis as a pass rushing threat to be wary of when we play the Colts.

But now that he's on the trading block look out, he's a monster pass rusher!
Whenever I think of the Colts pass rush it's always Freeney & Mathis. I'm not sure why you'd suggest otherwise.

Mathis has 45 sacks at home and only 33 away. That's a big difference. When I watch him play away from Indy, his speed seems to be clearly diminished and his game seems a half-step slower.

That's not a good sign for a player who'd be outside in New England, as well as playing games in Pitt/Philly/NJ/Wash/Den.

number 1 who cares what kind of draft pick we give??? its not going to happen , plus do you really think the colts would send him to us????? also who cares what round pick it is if we could get him for a first send it... because the draft is a crap shoot according to belichick anyway...

It looks like we're in the minority here! He's listed at 6'2, 245 lbs.

It is intriguing but it might be a bust. Good call. Freeney makes Mathis. Rather have Jared Allen.
DW Toys

You mean those two bolded lines being misrepresented as posted by you below? Forgive me for having no respect for any of your football related opinions further validated in this thread.

How can I misrepresent a comment when you've stated BenJarvus Green-Ellis wouldn't be getting carries on most teams and falls in the lower half of the talent pool?

He said that he's in the lower half of starting RBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be getting carries on most teams. It means that he wouldn't be getting the majority of carries on most teams.

number 1 who cares what kind of draft pick we give??? its not going to happen , plus do you really think the colts would send him to us????? also who cares what round pick it is if we could get him for a first send it... because the draft is a crap shoot according to belichick anyway...

you would trade a first for Robert Mathis, who is heading into a FA year? are you insane?

I think its a huge stretch to say that its a "huge assumption" that Mathis could contribute.

I think it's a huge exaggeration to call it a huge stretch to say that it's a huge assumption that Mathis could contribute.

Last edited:
you would trade a first for Robert Mathis, who is heading into a FA year? are you insane?

obviously he's another Luddite.....:D

He said that he's in the lower half of starting RBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be getting carries on most teams. It means that he wouldn't be getting the majority of carries on most teams.
I noticed you took care to avoid the paragraph where JJDChE implicitly stated the following comment;

He wouldn't even be getting carries on most teams.

That is not what you're suggesting, that is suggesting Green-Ellis would NOT be getting carries on most teams.

Finish up with your own incorrect interpretation, call that for what it is and join the rest of us who have no problems with reading comprehension and connecting the flow of an argument.

Last edited:
If they are dumping Wayne will PM EVER be coming back?

I personally don't think Peyton will ever play another down for the Colts. Not a meaningful down anyways.

As I understand it, he has a $20mil escalator in his contract for early next year. Word is, his recovery might take him past that escalator date - i.e. the Colts won't have a clue wether he can throw the ball, or play football at an NFL level, before they have to pay that $20mil.

I think they cut him before that, which due to the way the contract is structured, hardly costs them anything on the cap. Manning, if he's healthy, goes on to play 3-4 more years somewhere else. Miami maybe, who knows.

Offside: A Sports Law Blog: Would Colts Ever Cut Peyton Manning?

The Colts, though, have the option of cutting Manning next season by the 4th day of the season, and if they do so they will owe him nothing on what's left on his $90 million contract.

So, if the Colts think, before the 4th day of the league year in 2012, that Manning is back or close to 100%, they pick up the contract. If not, hasta la vista baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back