PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton: Shaun Ellis deal worth $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calyton: Ellis deal worth $5M

The Pats had to pay up to get him to come over so it had be a great deal for him. For reference does anyone know how much he made last year?

New York Jets Salary Cap - Shaun Ellis

His salary last year was about 3.35 million, the last year of a 6 year extension that payed him 15.5 million guaranteed plus salaries of $540,000(2005), $1,750,000(2006), $4,500,000(2007), $3,077059(2008), 4,650,000(2009). Generally, his cap hits for each year were about $5-7 million.

So we're paying him slightly below the average of his previous contract. For a guy his age, that really says something. Hopefully that means the team really believes in him.

$2.5 mil to play for the Patriots, $2.5 mil NOT to play for the Jets!

This...... I'm not sure if he'll be worth the $2.5 M playing for us, but he'll surely be worth the $2.5 M not playing for the JETS (esp. against us, where is essentially kills us most games we play).

I'm alright with it. 1 yr, no future consequences...... unless he earns them. ;)

Last edited:

So, Matt Light+Shaun Ellis=Nnamdi Asomugha?

The Pats had to pay up to get him to come over so it had be a great deal for him. For reference does anyone know how much he made last year?

What was his last contract with the Jets worth?

I think it silly to compare our contract to one that was refused as a lowball.

$3,335,000 last year.

In 2004 Ellis signed a six-year extension that included a $5 million signing bonus plus a $7 million roster bonus, which was later converted to a signing bonus. His base salaries were $540k in 2005, $1.75m in 2006, $4.5m in 2007, $3m in 2008, $4.65m in 2009 and $3.35m in 2010.

The Jets' offer was for the vet minimum of $910k.

So it does make one wonder if the Pats overpaid considering the difference, but we don't know (a) if he had other offers, or (b) what the minimum amount of money was that he would play for; at some point players that have already made a lot of money are going to say it's not worth it to put my body through this abuse, it's not worth it.

Ellis is a minus on the Jets side and a plus on the Pats side....

That means the impact is TWICE as big when we play the Jets ( 2 times a season...maybe 3)

I hope they didn't sign him to that deal only because of his playoff game against the Pats last year...

I think the Jets offering him Vet minimum and they need a pass rush just as bad if not more than the Pats says a lot. BB has made mistakes in the recent past (Thomas, TBC) with these types of guys... I hope he learned his lesson with them and isn't repeating that history.

Color me cautiously optimistic with a haze of pessimism.

I think the Jets offering him Vet minimum and they need a pass rush just as bad if not more than the Pats says a lot.

OTOH, it could be like the LOLphins tendering Welker at the second-round level. . . .

New York Jets Salary Cap - Shaun Ellis

His salary last year was about 3.35 million, the last year of a 6 year extension that payed him 15.5 million guaranteed plus salaries of $540,000(2005), $1,750,000(2006), $4,500,000(2007), $3,077059(2008), 4,650,000(2009). Generally, his cap hits for each year were about $5-7 million.

So we're paying him slightly below the average of his previous contract. For a guy his age, that really says something. Hopefully that means the team really believes in him.

$3,335,000 last year.

In 2004 Ellis signed a six-year extension that included a $5 million signing bonus plus a $7 million roster bonus, which was later converted to a signing bonus. His base salaries were $540k in 2005, $1.75m in 2006, $4.5m in 2007, $3m in 2008, $4.65m in 2009 and $3.35m in 2010.

The Jets' offer was for the vet minimum of $910k.

So it does make one wonder if the Pats overpaid considering the difference, but we don't know (a) if he had other offers, or (b) what the minimum amount of money was that he would play for; at some point players that have already made a lot of money are going to say it's not worth it to put my body through this abuse, it's not worth it.

It sounds to me like our offer was about right. Maybe slightly high but if so, not by too much.

One thing that does make this deal seem a bit better is that Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star Ledger says her sources say that Ellis got several multi-year offers. That means the Pats probably had to up their offer to get him.

I hope they didn't sign him to that deal only because of his playoff game against the Pats last year...

I think the Jets offering him Vet minimum and they need a pass rush just as bad if not more than the Pats says a lot. BB has made mistakes in the recent past (Thomas, TBC) with these types of guys... I hope he learned his lesson with them and isn't repeating that history.

Color me cautiously optimistic with a haze of pessimism.

1. Call me a contrarian, but I am slightly doubtful that BB would pay Shaun Ellis 5 million dollars based on one game... slightly.

2. TBC was not a mistake... he happened to be our sole productive pass rusher last year (for the most part). If he wasn't injured this year, I'd be surprised if he wasn't on our roster.

Color me annoyed when people think they know more about coaching a football team than BB.

If you'd asked me what he would go for at the start of the offseason, $5M would have been in the ballpark of my guess. Higher than I expected, but I also expected that he would get a multi-year deal, so it sorta evens out. After the Jets low-balled the hell out of him, I think we all revised our expectations for his salary, but if that's what it took to get him here then so be it. I'm fine with that price.

Last edited:

It does help keep Brady up against the Jets :D

Ellis was a good jet, but that's a lot of coin for an aging DE

Of all the D-line signings, Ellis is the player with the most rounded game. I've got no problem with the signing, no problem with the money, and my only concern is that he's an older player who might lose a step during the offseason. If that hasn't happened, this will be a great signing. If he has lost a step, he'll still be just one of a rotation group, so he should still be productive, because BB is going to make sure he is.

This line is going to be subbing like a hockey team. Hell, they may sub on the fly during plays.

One thing that does make this deal seem a bit better is that Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star Ledger says her sources say that Ellis got several multi-year offers. That means the Pats probably had to up their offer to get him.
Well, there's the answer to everybody's question as to why there was such a difference between the Jets' offer and what the Patriots paid Ellis. Sometimes some folks here forget there are 30 other NFL teams.

what i read said that they will pay him 4-5 mil depending on contract incentives.

Couldn't it just be performance based?

if he plays great and makes the full amount as a result, who cares?

maybe i am reading it wrong.

if its not guaranteed, then it makes the decision on the value to keep him or not is easy prior to week 1.

I have no issue with spending the money on Shaun Ellis, everyone longed and pined for a pass rusher.. now we have a savvy one.. so it is all good.

It does seem like a lot and it could be worth it, but it's just one of those deals you have to put your faith into BB. I mean, why cut Ty Warren at $3mil, but sign Ellis at $4/5mil? There is definitely more to it.

Was "meh" on the signing and not real happy on the money tendered, but I do like the way the DL is shaping up overall and the potential for a vastly improved pass rush.

It definitely seems like BB is throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what is going to stick, but at least it is high quality sgaghetti.

I think BB is obviously tired of the last couple of playoff flameouts and is also realizing the Brady window won't be open forever....seems like he has a nice combination of future and win now vets on the team.....this season is shaping up very nicely I think....above and beyond this individual signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News