PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton: Shaun Ellis deal worth $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calyton: Ellis deal worth $5M

So, Matt Light+Shaun Ellis=Nnamdi Asomugha?

If Matt and Shaun were signed for the next 5 years then its an equivalent.

Thats a lot of coin for a guy in his mid 30's though.

Fine with it,If he comes here and does his job all is good

I dont care who you are, 5 mil for 1 year to a 34 year old DE is alot, i hope BB knows what he is doin, cause to me it seems like he gets a bit panic.

I dont care who you are, 5 mil for 1 year to a 34 year old DE is alot, i hope BB knows what he is doin, cause to me it seems like he gets a bit panic.

They've signed 9,324,123 defensive lineman for this camp. Not all will make it. Why should the amount of money given to Ellis matter in the scheme of things?

They've signed 9,324,123 defensive lineman for this camp. Not all will make it. Why should the amount of money given to Ellis matter in the scheme of things?

What do you mean?

if the jets arnt willing to offer him more than 910K why should the patriots offer him ALOT more than that? if we dont win a superbowl you gotta wonder if this kind of contract for ellis was worth it, he can be a good player, but to me not a 5 mil caliber. IMHO.

Last edited:
What do you mean?

if the jets arnt willing to offer him more than 910K why should the patriots offer him ALOT more than that? if we dont win a superbowl you gotta wonder if this kind of contract for ellis was worth it, he can be a good player, but to me not a 5 mil caliber. IMHO.

You're assuming the Jets are the only other party. I don't think that's true.

You're assuming the Jets are the only other party. I don't think that's true.

Im just saying, you are willing to give 5 mil for a vet DE that sucked most of last year except the game against us in the playoffs, he wasnt really good last year.

If this works ill eat my hat with a smile on my face. im not against bringing ellis (generally he is a good player) but IMO that contract is too much.

I don't care. I still like the signing and think he is well worth it when it comes to things BB is trying to do with this defense . I predict a monster year out of him and to be honest I have more faith in this cat than I do Haynesworth at this point.

Albert is more like, I hope he can perform the way he did 3 years ago? I don't know when the last time I saw him as relevant but its been a while. I'm still holding out hope he will be dominant once again.

The last game I saw Ellis play, he contributed to our playoff loss. He has good numbers over his career and he is familiar with the 34 and 43. I'm glad he is on our side and if 5 million is going to make us stronger and bedwetters weaker than 5 million it is. Not my money.

Im just saying, you are willing to give 5 mil for a vet DE that sucked most of last year except the game against us in the playoffs, he wasnt really good last year.

If you watched enough Jets game to make an informed opinion like this, there are a few other forums I'd suggest for you right now...

If you watched enough Jets game to make an informed opinion like this, there are a few other forums I'd suggest for you right now...

I dont love the jets, but i love football, what's wrong with that? :violent:

After resisting this train of thought for years, I'm beginning to believe that those who say "the cap is crap" have been right all along. What the Patriots spend for players is out of my hands and, therefore, inconsequential to me.

It does seem like a lot and it could be worth it, but it's just one of those deals you have to put your faith into BB. I mean, why cut Ty Warren at $3mil, but sign Ellis at $4/5mil? There is definitely more to it.

Because BB believes that Ellis is an upgrade over Warren. Ellis can get after the passer - he has 72.5 sacks over his career. Warren has never been a get after the QB kind of guy. Ellis also offers more flexibility being able to stay on the field and flip from 3-4 end to 4-3 end. Warren also wasn't healthy and reportedly failed a conditioning test. I think this was what BB meant by 'going in another direction defensively'.

If he has lost a step, he'll still be just one of a rotation group, so he should still be productive, because BB is going to make sure he is.

I don't think the Pats would have offered him that much money (even if 1m of it is incentives based) if they thought Ellis had lost a step. After all they did work him out first hand before signing him to the contract.

Last edited:

Why do we question a guy that is admired by almost every other coach in the NFL and has 3 superbowls?

Sure he knows what he is doing. ;)

I don't care if it's $15 million. If he's a difference maker than helps us get back to the SB, I'm good with it.

I don't care if it's $15 million. If he's a difference maker than helps us get back to the SB, I'm good with it.

I cant say i disagree with that, anything to win a SB once again.

BTW, Patjew? thats awesome, shouldv thought about that...

What seems obvious is that the Pats Cap is in far better shape than any of us could have imagined.

Re: Calyton: Ellis deal worth $5M

$2.5 mil to play for the Patriots, $2.5 mil NOT to play for the Jets!

There's no question there's an element of that there.

Because of the cap situation and their efforts to attract big names this offseason, there's some noticeable absences and surely a bit of discord, especially when respected veterans are lowballed.

Belichick is smart enough to make that work for him.

Ryan is stupid enough to play along by further disrespecting Ellis.

Last edited:
Ellis for Captain.

10/9/11 and 11/13/11

FUUUU Jests! Shaun Ellis will be causing havoc in the face of Sanchez two times this season. I can't wait! BB knows what he is doing.

As I suspected, we were not the only team in the running, according to his agent. BB will not pay a guy $4mil if he can get him for $2mil. I think Ellis will be a good addition in the DL rotation.

Shaun Ellis felt like Jets didn't want him back | NJ.com

Ellis' agent, Mitch Frankel, who joined him on tonight's call, said they came back to the Jets before receiving any final offers from the Patriots. Frankel said two other teams were interested, but he and his client did not tell the Jets the amount of any offer Ellis had received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes