PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Changes To Offense To Keep Brady Healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to dig out our old thread regarding the the difference between playing on the right side of the OL and playing on the left side (for a right-handed QB).

I don't think that Light would be a probowl RT. He is a probowl LT. If we draft a OT, I would expect him to play on the right side and would hope that in a couple of years that he could be a probowl RT.

BTW, I am concerned about Neal's ability to stay on a field. There may be more of an issue at RG than at RT.

Starting the rookie on the right side is fine. You still upgrade one position and upgrade OL depth.

However . . . I would get him on the left side as soon as he's ready. If that's 2008 then I'm putting him there as a rookie. If that's 2009 or 2010 then so be it.

Since we're talking tackles, I thought I'd put this here. If someone wants to make it a separate thread topic, go for it:

Long list of prospective left tackles in draft
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3258420

"It's the best group I've seen in 24 years collectively," said Kevin Colbert, the Pittsburgh Steelers' director of football operations. "It was a good group before the juniors were added to it. Those guys enhanced what we really think is a strong group. The majority of them can play on the left side or play both sides. It's unusual to have that many guys that big and that athletic and that productive.

I think we need to dig out our old thread regarding the the difference between playing on the right side of the OL and playing on the left side (for a right-handed QB).

I don't think that Light would be a probowl RT. He is a probowl LT. If we draft a OT, I would expect him to play on the right side and would hope that in a couple of years that he could be a probowl RT.

BTW, I am concerned about Neal's ability to stay on a field. There may be more of an issue at RG than at RT.
Not that you're talking about cutting them but for reference, we aren't upside down on Light or Neal's contracts anymore. Cutting Light would save $2.4M, cutting Neal would save $1.4M. The latter might be an option depending how his knee and shoulder look heading into next year.

Anyway, if we drafted a RT I like Otah a lot. I think he could be a great RT; however I don't think he'll be a strong LT. OTOH, the two potentially good LT (talking first round here), Clady and Williams, I don't think would be particularly strong RT.

I'm not sure why Light wouldn't be good on the right side, he's a pretty good run blocker and is quick enough as a pass blocker except the elite pass rushers he faces mostly on the left side.

From an old BB post-draft conference I saved:

Q: Do you see Light as a tackle first and a guard second?

B: As I told Matt, of course he has played left tackle at Purdue. He played it a lot, he played it against good competition. Again whether it is Peterson, Riley or Courtney Brown, there is a number of good pass rushers in the Big Ten, but I think he is physical enough that he can play right tackle and we did see him do that some in the all-star game and I think he can also play inside at guard. Even though he has minimal experience there, but he is big enough and powerful enough and would be a very athletic guard if he played in there. So he gives us versatility.

We are going to put our best players out there one the field. If he is one of them at whatever position he is out then he will be out there. If somebody else is better then they will be out there. So we will bring him, we will start him at tackle working both left and right tackle and see how he is doing, but I think that in the end that he is a guy that has got a good future on the offensive line in this league and I am glad that we got him.
---

So, from that interview, BB states that Light is versatile -- yet he's never moved from LT. Maybe now's the time -- maybe not. Drafting an OT at #7 certainly isn't out of the question. Have him compete for the RT spot, perhaps experiment a little at LT -- then see what you've got. Interesting that Light could possibly play OG too. Most importantly with the O-line as a unit -- don't shuffle players too much. Continuity is crucial for them to function as one unit.

No offense...........Brady is as good as i have seen around...however,
he better learn to handle the pressure when sacked a few times.I mean really,no o-line can be expected to keep out consistant blitzing forever.
instead of getting mad at his line for allowing pressure ,he must take his licks and adjust a little quicker.
Dont blame the line....they did great from what i have seen throughout last season.
:bricks:to you:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore