PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring on the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drama queens? You guys are the ones who barged in here and started dishing out. What you dish out is what you get back. If you wanted to discuss pure football, you would get interesting, intelligent discussions.

I dished nothing out. I made a comment that you guys are waaaaaaayyy too confident, and got attacked for it.
So I responded in kind.

But it's obvious that only a select few of you here are actually capable of having a decent, intelligent discussion. As you have already proved by your complete lack of knowledge of our team.

Last edited:
Come on everyone, this had been a pretty good conversation up until a couple minutes ago. How about everyone talk football and drop the insults?

m'kay
thnx
bye

I dished nothing out. I made a comment that you guys are waaaaaaayyy too confident, and got attacked for it.
So I responded in kind.

But it's obvious that only a select few of you here are actually capable of having a decent, intelligent discussion. As you have already proved by your complete lack of knowledge of our team.

Funny, I don't think anyone here is being "way too confident." Most of the threads I've read are cautiously optimistic.

Since you're accusing me of being completely inept, I invite you to comment (and correct) on a thread I'll start up soon.

Come on everyone, this had been a pretty good conversation up until a couple minutes ago. How about everyone talk football and drop the insults?

m'kay
thnx
bye

Sorry. My bad. I used the ignore feature and that seems like a better way to go.

So ok. I'm a Ravens fan. What should I look for that I haven't seen in years past out of the Patriots?

Funny, I don't think anyone here is being "way too confident." Most of the threads I've read are cautiously optimistic.

Since you're accusing me of being completely inept, I invite you to comment (and correct) on a thread I'll start up soon.

I'm not accusing you, you put it out on front street with your "our team is old" comments.

But thanks for the invite. Should be fun.

welp...all you Ravens fans are right...and you proved your point...the Ravens are the bestest in all history and Joe Flacco is on par with Joe Montana and Peyton Manning...Brady $ucks and Hernandez can't block(?????...why would he ever be blocking????)...thanks for letting us stupidly try to think our Pats even have a snowball's chance in Hades...you are all right and we are wrong..dead wrong...the Pats are terrible and the Ravens will probably stomp them out
by 5 td's...got it...alrighty then...guess it's all been covered so there's no sense in posting any further...after all, as David Byrne and the Talking Heads so eloquently put it.."say something once...why say it again?..."

see all you tremendous, and 100% correct Ravens fans after the conclusion of this Sunday's contest...and congrats in advance on the easy win and your guaranteed trip to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
welp...all you Ravens fans are right...and you proved your point...the Ravens are the bestest in all history and Joe Flacco is on par with Joe Montana and Peyton Manning...Brady $ucks and Hernandez can't block(?????...why would he ever be blocking????)...thanks for letting us stupidly try to think our Pats even have a snowball's chance in Hades...you are all right and we are wrong..dead wrong...the Pats are terrible and the Ravens will probably stomp them out
by 5 td's...got it...alrighty then...guess it's all been covered so there's no sense in posting any further...after all, as David Byrne and the Talking Heads so eloquently put it.."say something once...why say it again?..."

see all you tremendous, and 100% correct Ravens fans after the conclusion of this Sunday's contest...and congrats in advance on the easy win and your guaranteed trip to the Super Bowl.

I'll betcha when this doesnt happen, the Crybirds will find at least 20 excuses on why they lost the game other than lack of talent.

Just my 2 cents....

Sorry. My bad. I used the ignore feature and that seems like a better way to go.

So ok. I'm a Ravens fan. What should I look for that I haven't seen in years past out of the Patriots?

No problem, just trying to get a good discourse back on track.

The first obvious thing are the two tight ends. Between Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez teams - depending on their personnel - may be able to neutralize one or perhaps two, but stopping all three is extremely difficult.

Pittsburgh effectively got right up on the line, bumping the receivers with a press coverage. It's not as simple as calling for the same style of defense; other have tried to do the same thing and been burnt by any one of those three racing past everyone for a long gain or TD.

The Pats have also used the hurry up to their benefit quite a bit. The biggest advantage is that it keeps opposing defenses from inserting sub-packages, and also keep defenses from giving lineman a breather. Sometimes Brady will go with a quick snap; other times he'll let the clock wind down - either results in more unpredictability which makes it difficult to defend.

The much maligned defense is not great, but they're not anywhere as bad as the oft-repeated 'worst defense' or '31st ranked defense' that some in the media imply. As the season has progressed they have become more aggressive and more confident. Yes, they give up a lot of yards but a decent amount was either early in the year or in garbage time. For example statistically the Patriots appeared to have a bad game against the Eagles, but watching the game they actually appeared to play pretty well.

The return of LB Brandon Spikes, LB Dane Fletcher and S Patrick Chung from lengthy injuries is huge boost to the defense. They're still vulnerable in the middle and coverage by the secondary is still not what it should be, but they're very opportunistic. If I recall correctly the Pats defense led the AFC in turnovers. CB Kyle Arrington and LB Rob Ninkovich have the type of football smarts that puts them in the right place at the right time for those takeaway opportunities.

The pass rush still has a ways to go but it's much better than it was last year or the year before. The loss of Andre Carter hurts, but Mark Anderson and Ninkovich do a decent job of applying pressure on the QB. Overall I think the Pats ended up slightly above average in sacks this year.

After spending the last couple days here, I've come to expect nothing less from Pats fans...

At least show me what Raven fan said these things so that I can laugh at them. Lets go lynch em together! Assuming of course, that this Raven fan exists

Last edited:
No problem, just trying to get a good discourse back on track.

The first obvious thing are the two tight ends. Between Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez teams - depending on their personnel - may be able to neutralize one or perhaps two, but stopping all three is extremely difficult.

Pittsburgh effectively got right up on the line, bumping the receivers with a press coverage. It's not as simple as calling for the same style of defense; other have tried to do the same thing and been burnt by any one of those three racing past everyone for a long gain or TD.

The Pats have also used the hurry up to their benefit quite a bit. The biggest advantage is that it keeps opposing defenses from inserting sub-packages, and also keep defenses from giving lineman a breather. Sometimes Brady will go with a quick snap; other times he'll let the clock wind down - either results in more unpredictability which makes it difficult to defend.

The much maligned defense is not great, but they're not anywhere as bad as the oft-repeated 'worst defense' or '31st ranked defense' that some in the media imply. As the season has progressed they have become more aggressive and more confident. Yes, they give up a lot of yards but a decent amount was either early in the year or in garbage time. For example statistically the Patriots appeared to have a bad game against the Eagles, but watching the game they actually appeared to play pretty well.

The return of LB Brandon Spikes, LB Dane Fletcher and S Patrick Chung from lengthy injuries is huge boost to the defense. They're still vulnerable in the middle and coverage by the secondary is still not what it should be, but they're very opportunistic. If I recall correctly the Pats defense led the AFC in turnovers. CB Kyle Arrington and LB Rob Ninkovich have the type of football smarts that puts them in the right place at the right time for those takeaway opportunities.

The pass rush still has a ways to go but it's much better than it was last year or the year before. The loss of Andre Carter hurts, but Mark Anderson and Ninkovich do a decent job of applying pressure on the QB. Overall I think the Pats ended up slightly above average in sacks this year.

I do think teams with explosive offenses tend to have defenses that get ranked lower even when those defenses actually play pretty well. Basically, if you score fast and often, the other team is going to get the ball back quickly and need to make some big plays to stay in the game. All that puts pressure on the defense that is reflected statistically and tends to lead to a lower ranking.

Re: Pittsburgh's strategy, I honestly don't know. I don't think TE's have done terribly well against the Ravens, our problems have been with big wideouts. Jimmy Smith has got all the talent in the world but an experienced route runner that is in sync with his QB is still too much for him at this stage of his game.

As far as TE's over the middle go, all I can say is that while Reed and Lewis are not their former selves, they do have a knack for being in the right place. I don't see Lewis covering any of your TE's step for step, but he is pretty good at laying the wood at just the right time.

Not sure how I feel about the hurry-up. Traditionally it's been a problem for us, but with Kruger/McPhee adding some youth to the rotation we may handle that better than we have in years past. Quick routes take a lot of pressure off the O-line so that is a real concern for us.

On the other side of the ball, I mean on paper I look at Torrey Smith and Lee Evans and think there's a pretty clear mismatch. But truthfully Flacco and Evans have never gotten in sync, and Smith drops too many balls. The hope on our end is that Evans and Flacco have gotten enough reps to change some of that.

To me, I think our best bet is that Suggs just has one of those games where he completely takes over. Possibly Ngata too but he has seemed less disruptive this year, partly due to injury. My hope is that we don't need to worry too much about the running game and Suggs/JJ can pin their ears back quite a bit or go about disrupting the TE's.

Last edited:
You are the best poster in internet history,flynismo...I freely admit that...you are right about every single thing you posted in this thread...those other comments I alluded to are in this thread too...I just posted my capitulation to YOUR greatness along with all the other Raven "masters of football knowledge"...scroll back to about page 30 and read forward...that was plenty enough for ME to understand how WE, Pats fans, are just a collection of stupid ,know nothing white trash and should just keep our thoughts to ourselves and listen to the mighty Raven Genius Party wax eloquently on how all Patriots players are dirt and can't play on any field with the mighty Ravens...you convinced me...don't know why you're so angry and snarky...i'm AGREEING with you...YOU are the best, your team is the greatest in history and all Patriots fans should shut up and post nothing but platitudes about the great Ravens on THIS, a Patriot board....YOU WIN....OK?

see ya' after the game for more of your "must read" super NFL football knowledge...and great win...good luck in the Super Bowl...although I NOW know luck has NOTHING to do with it...it's just Raven Awesomeness

Last edited:
On the other side of the ball, I mean on paper I look at Torrey Smith and Lee Evans and think there's a pretty clear mismatch. But truthfully Flacco and Evans have never gotten in sync, and Smith drops too many balls. The hope on our end is that Evans and Flacco have gotten enough reps to change some of that.

BALs key numbers are 23 and 31.

23 or more touches for Ray Rice and BAL is 11-0 and average 26ppg. Less than 23 touches and they ave 17.6ppg.

31 or less pass attempts by Flacco and BAL is 8-0. In those games, BAL has averaged 26ppg. 32 or more attempts they have averaged 21ppg.

Never seen anything like it....

BALs key numbers are 23 and 31.

23 or more touches for Ray Rice and BAL is 11-0 and average 26ppg. Less than 23 touches and they ave 17.6ppg.

31 or less pass attempts by Flacco and BAL is 8-0. In those games, BAL has averaged 26ppg. 32 or more attempts they have averaged 21ppg.

Never seen anything like it....

Hopefully, they won't figure that out by Sunday!

Since you're a Ravens fan you should be looking for the Patriots to lose to them, that has only happened once in years...............

Once a decade is are enough.

Since you're a Ravens fan you should be looking for the Patriots to lose to them, that has only happened once in years...............

Once a decade is rare enough.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, a lot of these guys expect you to know the PATS inside and out, because after all, they won a few SB 10 years ago and that's all that really matters...

6th AFC Championship game in 11 years, dude...

SB in 2001, 2003, and 2004.

AFCCG in 2006.

Only team to go 16-0 in NFL history w/ a perfect reg. season record, and a return trip to the SB in 2007.

Number 1 seed in 2010.

Number 1 seed and AFCCG in 2011.

It's nothing about "10 years ago."---That's where you lose ALL respect and don't make any sense.

Unless you're talking about winning the most games in the NFL over the past 10 years, I wouldn't bring up any "10 year ago" statements.

Against Harbaugh's Ravens, Brady is 2-1. The combined margin of victory in the Pats' two wins is 9 points. Of course, we all know about the loss.

I get the feeling the game is going to be closer than some think.

You dont see why a talented, if inconsistent player, could have a better day going against your defense than Brady going against ours?

You either underestimate Flacco or our defense, or overrate Brady.

Your comparing Flacco and Brady?????

Really??????

Dude. Tom Brady is the Greatest QB in NFL History.

Joe Flacco is a gas station attendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes