PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes suspended for banned substance for 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Epinepherin a banned substance?

Last edited:
Spikes should state the specific medication. That would potentially be helpful for other players in the future.

What sucks was that this is the first strike, next time he lights up, its a year suspension.

Ok.....

Bears - No Spikes is bad news, because the Bears will run the ball.

Packers - No Spikes shouldn't matter much, since they can't run a lick.

Bills - No Spikes shouldn't be fatal. The Bills suck, and Guyton's speed should actually help with a guy like Spiller.

Dolphins - No Spikes is bad news, because the Dolphins will run the ball.

Seems to me that this should only be an issue for the bookend games. It does add a little bit of extra reasoning for getting a first round bye, though.

They are not a good interior running team, and Taylor has a sore knee. I wouldn't be shocked to see Fletcher in there on run downs instead of Guyton.

How can an athlete make such a stupid mistake?

Statement from Brandon Spikes: "“I’ve been contacted by the NFL and informed that I will be suspended 4 games..."for the detection of an illegal substance in a drug test.""The substance was a medication I should have gotten clarification on before taking. It was not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug.""The integrity of the game is very important to me. I understand the league’s ruling and apologize to my teammates...""the fans and the Patriots organization for this mistake.

statement vi cprice twitter

Spikes is a moron for not clearing the medication with the league, but the league's policy is stupid that a player can get suspended for cough surup.

I agree with you on the stupid policy but it's still a policy and he should have known better. Now I'm all :mad:

I feel like it may be some sort of ADD drug? I know they are illegal in the MLB, not sure if they are banned in the NFL or if they are considered a PED or not...

Spikes is a moron for not clearing the medication with the league, but the league's policy is stupid that a player can get suspended for cough surup.

Cough syrup would not have led to a suspension on the first failure. It had to be something considered a PED.

There are separate programs for illegal drugs and PEDs. He either had his 1st PED failure or his 2nd illegal drug failure.

Watch, it was freaking sudafed.

That got Peppers suspended for 4 games if I am not mistaken

Look on the bright side....

We don't have to worry about him hitting the dreaded rookie wall. He should be well rested for the playoffs.

How can an athlete make such a stupid mistake?

You do realize that the policy itself is the problem, right? People shouldn't have to get the "OK!" from the league before ingesting perfectly legal, non performance-enhancing substances. However, even if they wanted to, that's not a possible option. Even if you have a masking substance, you should be able to get a waiver for a period of time, as needed.

This should be common sense.

Last edited:
He's better off revealing what it is. Until then people won't believe it wasn't a PED of some kind.

I feel like it may be some sort of ADD drug? I know they are illegal in the MLB, not sure if they are banned in the NFL or if they are considered a PED or not...

Kind of OT but really? Even if it's prescribed ?

Last edited:
Gotta believe the players are well schooled by mgmt on the policy.

Is Epinepherin a banned substance?

Yes. as is ephedrine. They are both bronchial dialators and considered PED's, though they are used in many prescription and non prescription cough, cold and athsma remedies.

You do realize that the policy itself is the problem, right? People shouldn't have to get the "OK!" from the league before ingesting perfectly legal, non performance-enhancing substances.

This should be common sense.

Especially given he could just ask a trainer before taking something. The Pats trainers are probably very aware of the substances in the policy. Before he takes anything, he should know to clear it with a trainer.

Watch, it was freaking sudafed.

That got Peppers suspended for 4 games if I am not mistaken

Don't think so- sudafed is excused if it is prescribed by the team medical personnel, and I don't think the Pats would overlook this detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News