PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes suspended for banned substance for 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being the only one that doesn't care about the details is it safe to say we don't need him until the playoffs, and that it really doesn't matter much?

It's safe to say that in addition to those four games, the Pats could go ahead and part ways with this guy permanently. Though not exactly the same, this guy is shades of AD, Springs and Burgess from last year in that they bring the team chemistry down.

It's safe to say that in addition to those four games, the Pats could go ahead and part ways with this guy permanently. Though not exactly the same, this guy is shades of AD, Springs and Burgess from last year in that they bring the team chemistry down.

You do realize he was a two year captain, right? I don't know where you keep getting this stuff you keep trying to drive home.

...and surely you know Harrison was suspended for PED's, right?

As I understand it the NFL policy is hard-and-fast on all of the things on the banned list except Sudafed. You cannot get an exemption if you legitimately have ADHD. You have to go untreated. MLB is different, and many players are exempted.

I know lots of people think that this is some made-up illness, but it is not. Some people's brains are not wired to have enough dopamine, which supports attention, wakefullness, focus. Severe cases become narcolepsy- falling asleep suddenly, chronic fatigue. This can be devastating. To combat narcolepsy or ADHD, Ritalin or Adderall is prescribed.

The recognition of the general public that low dopamine levels is a serious and treatable condition has lagged behind similar thoughts with the sister brain neurotransmitter serotonin. We all have by now, I presume, encounted clinically depressed people. This is most often due to low serotonin levels and treated with SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), the most famous of which is Prozac.

With >2000 NFL players (53 per team+ practice squad + injured reserve) there may be literally hundreds of untreated players with ADHD. Their quality of life suffers. The league needs to find a way to exempt legit use.

disclaimer: I have no idea is Brandon is a legit ADHD sufferer, but undoubtedly there are many in ANY patient population that large.

Can you get high with Adderall? Most prescriptions are now "extended release" and have no abuse potential unless crushed and snorted. Even then the high is much blunted relative to street drugs. The main abuse is from people using it like a super caffeine to stay awake or to curb appetite. Taken orally that's as much of an effect as you ever see. Prozac and serotonin drugs don't give you a high or buzz at all, snorted, injected, whatever, so this is perhaps why they are more accepted.

BTW, I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn express, I have a doctorate in medicinal chemistry

Last edited:

Are you kidding me?

Jeepers, Now people want to cut our starting middle linebacker because he took some speed? Rodney Harrison got caught doing way worse and BB gave him a hug on the way back through the door. Spikes isn't going anywhere. He's losing $75K in game checks and I'm sure his teammates are going to give him the business when he gets back, but he is coming back. Aron Hernandez tested positive for pot, and BB still drafted him...where is the outrage for him being on the team? Should we drop his butt too? Actually, wasn't Kevin Faulk in the substance program for pot too? Glad he didn't work out.

I don't care if Spikes really has ADHD or not, he was stupid for getting caught, but in 4 weeks, he'll be back at practice and he'll play in whatever our first playoff game is. Can these drugs be PE, sure, was it for Spikes, only he knows. The NFL doesn't care, the rules are the rules and he got tagged.

I just don't understand why it seems like some of you have taken this so personally. He apologized for being an idiot, what more do y'all want?

Get a good night sleep and enjoy the game tomorrow, let this rest. Please.

Last edited:
This is most often due to low serotonin levels and treated with SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), the most famous of which is Prozac.

Low serotonin is more of an effect, which Big Pharma loves to treat. Treat the effects, ignore the root causes and make that money.

:confused:

This is one of the craziest things I have ever seen posted. A rookie with ADHD should be cut because he is bringing team chemistry down? You sprain your ankle when you made that huge jump in logic?

Id invite everyone to look at spikes record and make there own determination. Spikes was a very charismatic member of your team. Hes not the tackling machine of lewis or UrLacher, but he got the job done. Seeing that his stats are not astronomical, I think you can fill this position with medium impact. Hopefully his replacement can learn the plays quickly.
Sorry about this but, as with most times, these things happen for a reason. You might get better play at LB because of it, if your lucky.

Brandon Spikes
Brandon Spikes NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Brian Urlacher
Brian]File Not Found - Pro-Football-Reference.com Urlacher NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Ray Lewis
Ray]File Not Found - Pro-Football-Reference.com Lewis NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sean Weatherspoon (falcons)
Sean]File Not Found - Pro-Football-Reference.com Weatherspoon NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jonathan Vilma
Jonathan Vilma NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Kawika Mitchell (KIWI) ( we lost our LB also , so we drafted this guy last week)
Kawika]File Not Found - Pro-Football-Reference.com Mitchell NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited:
I've missed the word "homer" since this winning streak started. Nice to see people whip it out first chance they get.

In AJ's case i think you have to make an exception.

If BB broke into andy johnson's house and beat the shyt out of him, he'd probably tell the police he fell.

I enjoy some of the threads he post as far as analysis goes. But seriously the man can be downright delusional in his defense of the pats at times.

Jeepers, Now people want to cut our starting middle linebacker because he took some speed? Rodney Harrison got caught doing way worse and BB gave him a hug on the way back through the door. Spikes isn't going anywhere. He's losing $75K in game checks and I'm sure his teammates are going to give him the business when he gets back, but he is coming back. Aron Hernandez tested positive for pot, and BB still drafted him...where is the outrage for him being on the team? Should we drop his butt too? Actually, wasn't Kevin Faulk in the substance program for pot too? Glad he didn't work out.

I don't care if Spikes really has ADHD or not, he was stupid for getting caught, but in 4 weeks, he'll be back at practice and he'll play in whatever our first playoff game is. Can these drugs be PE, sure, was it for Spikes, only he knows. The NFL doesn't care, the rules are the rules and he got tagged.

I just don't understand why it seems like some of you have taken this so personally. He apologized for being an idiot, what more do y'all want?

Get a good night sleep and enjoy the game tomorrow, let this rest. Please.

I agree with you man, I am not happy he is gonna miss 4 games. But outside of that i really don't care. He'll be back for playoff time that is my primary concern. Kevin faulk also got caught blowin tha icky @ a lil weezy concert like a couple years ago if that :rocker:

:confused:

This is one of the craziest things I have ever seen posted. A rookie with ADHD should be cut because he is bringing team chemistry down? You sprain your ankle when you made that huge jump in logic?

Phoenix is the worst poster on this entire site and that includes all the jets fans and opposing team trolls that frequent this place.

There, I said it.

I agree with you man, I am not happy he is gonna miss 4 games. But outside of that i really don't care. He'll be back for playoff time that is my primary concern. Kevin faulk also got caught blowin tha icky @ a lil weezy concert like a couple years ago if that :rocker:

This. He's actually forgoing an appeal that could clear his name to make sure he's here for all the playoff games. That is called being selfless.

National Football Post's Dan Pompei has this:

"Assuming the reports are correct about what Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes was taking, he could have easily avoided his suspension for performance enhancers. Spikes reportedly took a medication to control ADHD. Sources say other players in the NFL take the same or similar medications. They don' t get suspended because they have received clearance to take the medication, which also is a stimulant. Spikes was suspended because he didn't tell league officials what he was taking. Every player knows they need to inform the NFL about new medications. Spikes appears to have put himself and his team in a bad position by being careless."

NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes