PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes suspended for banned substance for 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
who do we have for depth at ILB after guyton...maybe they will let some safeties play LBs with Page being back

Dane Fletcher

Ok.....

Bears - No Spikes is bad news, because the Bears will run the ball.

Packers - No Spikes shouldn't matter much, since they can't run a lick.

Bills - No Spikes shouldn't be fatal. The Bills suck, and Guyton's speed should actually help with a guy like Spiller.

Dolphins - No Spikes is bad news, because the Dolphins will run the ball.

Seems to me that this should only be an issue for the bookend games. It does add a little bit of extra reasoning for getting a first round bye, though.

I disagree about the Dolphins. The Dolphins may run the ball, but they suck on the ground this year. They are 18th in YPG, 27th in YPC, and dead last in rushing TDs. It is non-news for the Dolphins' game because they do not a decent RB (both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are having bad years).

It really hurts most this weekend. Luckily the Pats then face three teams that are not great at running the ball.

Last edited:
It's Santonio Holmes's favorite banned substance
If that was the case then it would have to be his second failed drug test, no? Doesn't the NFL silently put you in the substance abuse program for the first failed drug test, and then suspend you for four games after a second failed test?

Spikes biggest play of his professional career was on a pass-play. Though he is instrumental in our run defense, he is also an instinctive player that could potentially play all 3 downs. It doesn't just hurt our run defense, it hurts our whole defense and his development as a player which of course hinders the development of our entire defense. I hope it isn't PED

I wonder if Spikes happened to get selected in the random drug testing that the league does.

Maybe both Spikes and Chung were selected, accounting for why they missed practice, and only 1 passed the test?

If that was the case then it would have to be his second failed drug test, no? Doesn't the NFL silently put you in the substance abuse program for the first failed drug test, and then suspend you for four games after a second failed test?

a banned substance is a banned substance...he's suspended 4 games...officially...don't know how you're reading that this can't be it and implying it is a steroid violation...that IS what you are impugning is it not?

More time for Guyton, he hasnt played that bad this year. Hopefully he continues that trend. Fletcher has looked good in the times that he has played, obviously will be playing a lot more than any other game this season the last 4 games, so we will see how he reacts. Bottom line, it could have occurred at a worse position, it isnt the end of the world, but still a cause for concern

Maybe both Spikes and Chung were selected, accounting for why they missed practice, and only 1 passed the test?

I'd have a hard time believing the league would schedule the tests in a way that forced a player to miss practice. I'm sure they'd arrange it before and after. My guess is Chung's absence was an unrelated coincidence.

Refresh my memory, what was Holmes suspended for? I can't remember...

Now, who's going to call for the Pats to get rid of Spikes?

Our very own Ricky Williams. Yay?

Who would have guessed Spikes before Hernandez?

Absolutely not. The league wouldnt make players miss practice to take the test.

According to Rapoport:

Spikes' statement: The substance was a medication that I should have gotten clarification on before taking."

Last edited:
Spikes is a moron for not clearing the medication with the league, but the league's policy is stupid that a player can get suspended for cough surup.

A banned subtance doesnt have to be steroids or any kind of PED (infact it was said that it wasent a steroid) it can be anything from weed to cocaine to too much cough syrup.

It likely is some sort of PED.

The policy for performance enhancers calls for a 4-game suspension for the first failed test.

The policy for illegal drugs (Pot, Coke, etc.) does not suspend for the first offense, but calls for a 4 game suspension on the 2nd offense.

So... he either failed a test for a PED or had his 2nd offense for an illegal drug.

Since he says it was something he should have had cleared, maybe it was some sort of diuretic? Players take those to make weight, but you have to be careful because many cause a PED failure because they can be masking agents.

Last edited:
he also said it was not a performance enhancer or illegal drug. I'd be interested in knowing what it was. Are greenies illegal/considered PEDs?

Godammit.. Whether it was accidental or deliberate, there's no reasonable excuse for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back