PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd on the trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, the "good enough" argument is so odd I have never understood it's logic.

By adding Lloyd, the Pats would be bringing in a guy who had 1400 yards and 11 TD's last season and who can get deep in doing so. All improvements over his competition here.

Further, as an added bonus, he can mitigate this teams WR needs beyond this season.

Yeah I'm not saying he's a must have. Certainly our pass offense is successful, but when a better player than what we currently have comes available; why not take a look if the price is right?

Brandon Lloyd for Chad Ochocinco.... :D

Lloyd is a player BB and Co. expressed interest in and scouted thoroughly before he was drafted. Pretty sure there's a segment on him in Patriot Reign or one of those books.

If he were really elite, he wouldn't be on the trading block. He had a good season last year, but he's managed to shoot his way out of town this year. Besides, Id rather give Taylor Price a shot, then take on a 30 year old WR who doesn't know our system and is looking for a big payday when he hits free agency. I say pay Welker and forget about Lloyd.

I know that short term that WR is not a position of need, but long term it is. He is fairly tall and fast. He is 30, but probably has 2-3 years left in him after this year. He excelled in the same system as the Pats' last year (over 1400 yards and 11 TDs under McDaniels in 2010).

I really doubt the Pats will trade for him, but he is an interesting trade idea especially if the Jets are interested. Personally, I would like to see a pass rusher or a safety, but it is rare to see a WR with elite ability who already knows the Pats' system available right before the trade deadline.

Broncos put WR Brandon Lloyd on the trading block - The Denver Post

If Lloyd doesn't join this season, he's never joining. He's going to be an UFA at the end of the year and will cash in on a big money deal. That's not where our dollars will go. Right now hes on an affordable 1.3m deal. The problem is that he's definitely a rental player and we dont know if he can adjust to the Pats system. Ocho is a receiver with 7 1,000 yard+ seasons on his belt but he couldn't adjust in the shortened offseason. Are you sure Lloyd could do any better after being traded mid-season?

Lloyd would be an excellent addition and a definite upgrade to the WR corps.

I don't expect to see him joining the Patriots this season, though.

Last edited:
Getting Welker paid would be my first priority, I'd actually be more interested in Eddie Royal than in Lloyd, I think Royal could do a MUCH better job in Ocho's role and be a lot less expensive than Lloyd.

A reasonable contract for Royal leaves a lot more money for signing Mario Williams:rocker:

Last edited:
I don't understand the "good enough" concept.

Why wouldn't we want him on the team? It would make our passing game that much more impressive, which would also open up the run game that much more. Seems stupid not to be interested in a very good player who could do things for the team.

Because there are not enough draft picks and cap space to do every single move that would be an improvement. Areas that are "good enough" such as 30+ pts/game shouldn't absorb high draft picks and potential big cap $ while re-signing quality Pats FAs in 2012 and fixing BROKEN areas like safety would warrant such potential trades.

If he were really elite, he wouldn't be on the trading block. He had a good season last year, but he's managed to shoot his way out of town this year. Besides, Id rather give Taylor Price a shot, then take on a 30 year old WR who doesn't know our system and is looking for a big payday when he hits free agency. I say pay Welker and forget about Lloyd.

If Lloyd doesn't join this season, he's never joining. He's going to be an UFA at the end of the year and will cash in on a big money deal. That's not where our dollars will go. Right now hes on an affordable 1.3m deal. The problem is that he's definitely a rental player and we dont know if he can adjust to the Pats system. Ocho is a receiver with 7 1,000 yard+ seasons on his belt but he couldn't adjust in the shortened offseason. Are you sure Lloyd could do any better after being traded mid-season?

This CHANGES everything. I never thought he was a UFA b/c I had heard he had 1 more yr under contract. Screw my Lloyd Love... it makes 0 sense

Because there are not enough draft picks and cap space to do every single move that would be an improvement. Areas that are "good enough" such as 30+ pts/game shouldn't absorb high draft picks and potential big cap $ while re-signing quality Pats FAs in 2012 and fixing BROKEN areas like safety would warrant such potential trades.

I agree w/ everything said here. This is far more important

Last year the offense was "good enough" and it sure would have been nice to have another pretty damn good WR on the field in the playoffs.

He was the league's leading receiver last year. If you are the best at something as significant as receiving yards, you are elite at least for that year. So yes, he has the potential to be elite.

Also, he hasn't shot his way out of town. The Broncos are in rebuild mode and are looking to unload older players who are unlikely to be resigned by the team. The rumor is they are looking to trade DJ Williams and possibly Brian Dawkins too. He is on the trade block because he is a free agent next season and the Broncos aren't going to pay a 30 year old WR when they are likely going to draft their QB of the future next draft.

As for whether having him or Taylor Price, I would rather have the guy who could get over 1400 yards having Kyle Orten throwing to him than a guy who hasn't seen the field all season. At this point, we do not know if Price will be anything. If Lloyd can get 1,400 yards with Orton throwing to him, Brady might be able to get him 1,600 in a season (and I know it doesn't really work that way). At this point, we have no idea what Taylor Price is other than a guy with a lot of lofty unmet expectations.

I already said that the Pats are unlikely to sign him. But the Broncos are looking as low as a 5th for him. That is worth a rent a player with elite capabilities.

Lloyd knows the Pats system and Ocho didn't. Not an equal comparisons. If Ocho played under McDaniels in Denver and succeeded, he would probably not have had the problems he has had this year. I most certainly think Lloyd would pick up the offense faster because he played in it for two years.

The Broncos offense under McDaniels - by Belichick's own admission in the NFLN doc - is the same as the Patriots offense.

This guy was a complete beast in that offense.

It would be illogical not to at least consider adding him giving the price tag, though we are out of a 5th rounder and above for next year. So the price would have to be a 4th. I could see BB swapping a 4th for Lloyd and a 7th.

That was McDaniels first mistake: implementing the Patriots offense run by the incomparable - maybe Greatest Of All Time - quarterback TF Brady. Like Jay Cutler or Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow can execute TFB's offense. Nobody in the NFL, except maybe Drew Brees and Peyton Manning can ready a defense like Brady.

That was McDaniels first mistake: implementing the Patriots offense run by the incomparable - maybe Greatest Of All Time - quarterback TF Brady. Like Jay Cutler or Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow can execute TFB's offense. Nobody in the NFL, except maybe Drew Brees and Peyton Manning can ready a defense like Brady.

Cassel did a very competent job in that offense, especially towards the end of 08. If he and Pioli also went to Denver they’d be a MUCH more successful team than they are right now, with Cassel doing a fine job as QB. McDaniels biggest problem was his horrible moves as a GM, though getting rid of Cutler and Marshall were smart moves.

No more Brandon's on this team. Anyone with that first name is a jerkface.

I already said that the Pats are unlikely to sign him. But the Broncos are looking as low as a 5th for him. That is worth a rent a player with elite capabilities.

Lloyd knows the Pats system and Ocho didn't. Not an equal comparisons. If Ocho played under McDaniels in Denver and succeeded, he would probably not have had the problems he has had this year. I most certainly think Lloyd would pick up the offense faster because he played in it for two years.

You make a good point about Mcdaniel's system being similar to the one that we run. Perhaps Lloyd could make the transition to the Pats system after all. And if all we're talking is a 5th round pick, he might be worth the 'rental'. My main concern then is getting him enough playing time and what it would do to locker room chemistry if Ocho is demoted to 4th WR.

Our 2 TE sets are so predominant that you rarely see the 3rd WR in this offense. If Lloyd takes away his remaining snaps, Ocho might make a major 'stinko'. There's only so many balls to go around for all these players. If such a move is made, the question becomes how much of an upgrade is Lloyd vs Ocho, and is the chemistry hit worth it.

You make a good point about Mcdaniel's system being similar to the one that we run. Perhaps Lloyd could make the transition to the Pats system after all. And if all we're talking is a 5th round pick, he might be worth the 'rental'. My main concern then is getting him enough playing time and what it would do to locker room chemistry if Ocho is demoted to 4th WR.

Our 2 TE sets are so predominant that you rarely see the 3rd WR in this offense. If Lloyd takes away his remaining snaps, Ocho might make a major 'stinko'. There's only so many balls to go around for all these players. If such a move is made, the question becomes how much of an upgrade is Lloyd vs Ocho, and is the chemistry hit worth it.
If the Pats somehow found a way to grab Lloyd it would be Branch, and not Ocho, who you have to worry about .... it's Branch because he'd be the one demoted and sitting his butt on the bench.

I really doubt Branch would squawk over a demotion. If Ocho did, you cut him.

We sweeten the deal with Denver by having them throw in Dawkins and we give them Ocho in return. With the bye week coming up now is the perfect time to do it.

I'd give up a 3rd or maybe even a conditional 2nd in a heartbeat. We all know how amazing BB's 2nd/3rd round picks are year in and year out.

I'd give up a 3rd or maybe even a conditional 2nd in a heartbeat. We all know how amazing BB's 2nd/3rd round picks are year in and year out.

Gronkowski was a 2nd round pick. Ridley was a 3rd rounder. Let's not paint with generalities here. Those picks are valuable. I could see a 5th for a 10 game rental, but not much higher than that. Not to mention the possible chemistry issues with adding a new WR and taking away snaps from someone else.

Gronkowski was a 2nd round pick. Ridley was a 3rd rounder. Let's not paint with generalities here. Those picks are valuable. I could see a 5th for a 10 game rental, but not much higher than that. Not to mention the possible chemistry issues with adding a new WR and taking away snaps from someone else.

Adrian Klemm
Bethel Johnson
Marquise Hill (RIP)
Chad Jackson
David Thomas
Shawn Crable
Terrence Wheatley
Kevin O'Connell
Tyrone McKenzie
Brandon Tate
Ron Brace
Darius Butler
Jermaine Cunningham

At this point guys like Gronk, Vollmer, or Branch are extremely rare exceptions. I'd rather give up a 2nd/3rd round pick for a proven capable starter than take my chances with BB in the draft room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back