PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd on the trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but are you going to believe a Patriots' Head Coach? He probably doesn't know much more about the offense than a 3rd TE.

Because that's exactly what I said right? I was speculating, and so were you. You never brought the fact that Belichick said the systems were pretty much the same into the conversation, so don't act like somehow I was being stubborn in my comments because this little factoid hadn't come up.

If Bill said it, than it's true and I was wrong.

I am obsessed with the "third TE" because, mainly, the only player on offense who knows every route, every line call and every adjustment is the quarterback. Others basically know only their responsibilities in depth, most of the time, and I'd imagine the set of plays Dan Gronkowski had to know is very limited. I really can't imagine there would be a whole lot of different things two teams with similar offensive philosophy would ask of their blocking tight end.

But if Belichick said both systems are pretty much the same, then they are pretty much the same, and you should disregard my previous comments on the matter.

Ok. I think you are not giving Gronkowski enough credit, but you are conceeding the point so there is no reason to keep the argument going.

Lloyd for a 10 game rental is a no brainer to me. You give up a 5th rd pick (Pats don't have one this year) for a player of his ability in a heart beat.

I am not as down on Ocho Cinco as many on this board are. His work along the sideline the last few games has been terrific. His double toe tap going out of bounds backwards last week is something few receivers in this league can do.

Wow, could you imagine the Pats lining up Lloyd alongside Welker, Gronk and Hernandez ..... with Brady directing traffic? OMG that would be sick! Opposing defenses would need several Revis' to sop this aerial assault!

Because that's exactly what I said right? I was speculating, and so were you. You never brought the fact that Belichick said the systems were pretty much the same into the conversation, so don't act like somehow I was being stubborn in my comments because this little factoid hadn't come up.

If Bill said it, than it's true and I was wrong.

I wasn't speculating. I did bring the fact that Dan Gronkowski said it was the same playbook. You just chose to dismiss that fact.

The dude makes INJURY PRONE (in all capital letters. He is not like the Energizer Bunny. Edelman is a cheap alkaline brand that has at its best, HALF the power and effectiveness of a Welker.

we need a vertical WR that can stretch and distract. Lloyd can be that guy:)

People like yourself seem to forget that Edelman has only been playing WR for 2+ years. Welker, on the other hand, played the position in HS and College as well.

As mentioned, its kinda hard for the guy to see the field when he's behind Branch, Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Chad at the very minimum.

The dude makes INJURY PRONE (in all capital letters. He is not like the Energizer Bunny. Edelman is a cheap alkaline brand that has at its best, HALF the power and effectiveness of a Welker.

we need a vertical WR that can stretch and distract. Lloyd can be that guy:)

Edelman is the Welker clone that wasn't:p

Seriously man, this is ridiculous. Edelman has better physical capabilities than Welker, this isn’t opinion, this is fact. Check out their pro-day and combine numbers, Eds comes out ahead. Edelman does NOT have Welker’s mental feel for the game and chemistry with TFB, but why would he? How much playing time has he gotten? Do you really expect him to blossom as a player if he’s not getting reps?

Welker, at this moment, is better than he’s ever been, do you think all the years of experience has anything to do with that?

When Edelman has replaced Welker, in the game against the Jets and the playoff game against the Ravens, he performed very well, so it’s not like he doesn’t have the ability to be very effective, it’s more a function of the depth chart and the TE dominated offense.

It seems like Edelman only shows up in games that the rest of the team doesn't. Like the ravens playoff game,the jets playoff game,jets in 09.

Wow, could you imagine the Pats lining up Lloyd alongside Welker, Gronk and Hernandez ..... with Brady directing traffic? OMG that would be sick! Opposing defenses would need several Revis' to sop this aerial assault!
Here's what I don't understand. Why does everyone here seem to think that adding another receiver here, regardless of talent would make that much of a difference.

As of now we have only ONE QB, and ONE ball for each snap, and IIRC, we currently have the best passing offense in the league that is on pace to SHATTER the current record. How many more yds could even a quality new receiver get us.

On a bad day for the OL, mediocre day for Brady, playing against the best pass defense in the league, and running the ball MORE than passing it; we put up 320+ yds with the receivers we already have.

The reason Edleman and Ocho aren't getting reps has less to do with how good they are, and more to do with the 2 TE formations we run. the run/pass ratio, and Welker's career year. While it may sound great to add some one new to the mix, I really don't think that it would vastly increase the total yds the passing game gets

BTW- Edelman's accomplishment to make this team at a position he'd never played, is remarkable. He's more than earned his spot being a better than average punt returner alone. Right now he's the 4th WR on a team that uses 3 WR only 30% of the time. You aren't going to put up great numbers in that scenario. Mark my words, there will be a time that Edelman will get his chance and is will end up being some other team's Wes Welker

BTW- thanks for the mention,Fencer, but my move from will LB to SS wasn't close to what Edelman accomplished

Last edited:
Here's what I don't understand. Why does everyone here seem to think that adding another receiver here, regardless of talent would make that much of a difference.

As of now we have only ONE QB, and ONE ball for each snap, and IIRC, we currently have the best passing offense in the league that is on pace to SHATTER the current record. How many more yds could even a quality new receiver get us.

On a bad day for the OL, mediocre day for Brady, playing against the best pass defense in the league, and running the ball MORE than passing it; we put up 320+ yds with the receivers we already have.

The reason Edleman and Ocho aren't getting reps has less to do with how good they are, and more to do with the 2 TE formations we run. the run/pass ratio, and Welker's career year. While it may sound great to add some one new to the mix, I really don't think that it would vastly increase the total yds the passing game gets

BTW- Edelman's accomplishment to make this team at a position he'd never played, is remarkable. He's more than earned his spot being a better than average punt returner alone. Right now he's the 4th WR on a team that uses 3 WR only 30% of the time. You aren't going to put up great numbers in that scenario. Mark my words, there will be a time that Edelman will get his chance and is will end up being some other team's Wes Welker

BTW- thanks for the mention,Fencer, but my move from will LB to SS wasn't close to what Edelman accomplished

Ocho stinks, Lloyd is nasty, I think we'd definitely stake a step forward with him. That said, I'd much rather trade for Brian Dawkins.

People like yourself seem to forget that Edelman has only been playing WR for 2+ years. Welker, on the other hand, played the position in HS and College as well.

FWIW, Welker didn't officially become a WR until he got to Texas Tech:

At Heritage Hall, Welker was a prolific contributor on offense, defense, and special teams. As a running back, he scored 80 touchdowns (53 rushing and 27 receiving). As a defensive back, he had 190 tackles, 22 interceptions (three of which he returned for touchdowns), and nine fumble recoveries. As a kicker, he scored 35 field goals and 165 extra points; his longest field goal, 57 yards, actually exceeds the personal best of current Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski.

FWIW, back in 2009, the Pats were experimenting with a 2-WR set where the WRs were Edelman and Welker.

I could see the Pats using Edelman to replace Branch next year.

...because Aaron Curry is godawful.
I don't know if he is or isn't but i'll take your word that in Seattle he has sucked. Maybe a change of scenery and a different program would change that. My point was i wouldn't give up a third round pick for a 30 yr old WR the team Doesn't need. The pats already have overwhelming fire power, this D will Not carry them through the playoffs, if we're talking about trading mid to upper level picks for players we need defensive players.

Lloyd for a 10 game rental is a no brainer to me. You give up a 5th rd pick (Pats don't have one this year) for a player of his ability in a heart beat.

I am not as down on Ocho Cinco as many on this board are. His work along the sideline the last few games has been terrific. His double toe tap going out of bounds backwards last week is something few receivers in this league can do.

Of course that assumes that the Broncos are viewing it as a rental situation. My guess is they are trying to get real value for him with a team that wants to give him a new contract as part of the trade. I doubt they'd be putting him on the block for a 5th.

As mentioned, its kinda hard for the guy to see the field when he's behind Branch, Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Chad at the very minimum.

I have NOT forgotten that Bruin. IDK about him anymore. I use to be a fan, but see his role as very limited as for real play. I'll try to be patient, but what do we expect to make him WR wise? I love his peed fyi. Costwise Edelman FTW, but in terms of a threat... not sure yet.

i'll keep Edelman ONLY b/c of $$$ value. We need D in the next draft badly

Last edited:
Lloyd would be an excellent addition and a definite upgrade to the WR corps.

I don't expect to see him joining the Patriots this season, though.

I don't understand the "good enough" concept.

Why wouldn't we want him on the team? It would make our passing game that much more impressive, which would also open up the run game that much more. Seems stupid not to be interested in a very good player who could do things for the team.

Adding Llyod would be about like adding the 2007 Moss (hopefully minus the maintenance issues of 2009-2010), not necessary but he would add another dimension. Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez, better O than the 2007 edition of the Pats easily. Lloyd stretching the field opens things up for everyone else. No matter who you take away there are other guys to kill ya. Totally sick.

I don't understand the "good enough" concept.

Why wouldn't we want him on the team? It would make our passing game that much more impressive, which would also open up the run game that much more. Seems stupid not to be interested in a very good player who could do things for the team.
Indeed, the "good enough" argument is so odd I have never understood it's logic.

By adding Lloyd, the Pats would be bringing in a guy who had 1400 yards and 11 TD's last season and who can get deep in doing so. All improvements over his competition here.

Further, as an added bonus, he can mitigate this teams WR needs beyond this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back