PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon LaFell

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaFell's production was significant, yes -- in a ROLE in which he was HEALTHY, complementing a mostly HEALTHY Edelman and Gronkowski. Those factors enabled him to put up those numbers. With circumstances drastically changed you can't expect him to suddenly morph into Randy Moss out there, especially when he's drawing more than his usual share of attention from defenders. That's all I'm trying to say.

I definitely agree that being more of a focal point has hurt him, no doubt about it. That said, it's looking like it goes much further than that in my opinion. He's dropping balls at an alarming rate, running half-assed routes, and clearly not in a groove with Brady like last year.

As you mention, perhaps it's partially due to injury, although he's certainly had plenty of time to recover.

People play the game to WIN, the Pats were trying to put themselves in a better position to WIN. I don't give a crap about a player who feels disrespected that the other team is trying to win, if they're that weak they probably shouldn't play football.

I think you're missing the point about the obvious shift in momentum at a time where we should've been more than happy to just kick the ball off like we do 99% of the time, all things considered on the injury front.

As mentioned, they've never lost a game at home where they've led at the half, so the *****ed attempt at...whatever that was, certainly had as much impact as the blocked punt to tie the score at 14 going into the half. Unfortunately by then, Philly went into the locker room pumped up as hell.

There were players who did mention that it collectively pissed the team off, as it certainly would've had it been against us down 0-14. They had looked pretty weak over the past 3 weeks up until that, so it's hard to see it as 100% purely coincidental, although we all know it was more than "just" that too.

He's from Houston, will probably have friends and family there Sunday night. He'll probably up his game.

As mentioned, they've never lost a game at home where they've led at the half, so the *****ed attempt at...whatever that was, certainly had as much impact as the blocked punt to tie the score at 14 going into the half.

"'Certainly'. I think that word does not mean what you think it does."

Rhodney says Lafells throwing money down the drain by not stepping up.

I'm not suggesting that they should. I'm stating that many Eagles fans and players have mentioned how it was dumb and helped turned the game around, which it certainly had some part in doing.

It's funny that if the shoe were on the other foot and we were the team down 0-14, had the opposition done that we'd have laughed and talked about how crazy it was.

The Eagles have a very strong special teams unit, we don't. That kick allowed us to return the ball without having to put out special teams unit at the relative disadvantage.

That's Brandon LaJAG. Thank the Patriots GM for his mediocre presence on this roster.

I think I saw "Brandon LaFail" in the gameday thread. I think "Brandon LaBallFellRightOutMyHands" would work too, but it takes too long to type.

Having moved from Boston to nc, a lot of my friends are panther fans. Most were very happy to see him go, as that was the biggest knock on him- always dropping balls. Steve Smith was constantly on his case. They were all shocked at how well he played last year. I think 2 things are in play here: 1. His ankle is not fully recovered and 2. He was fine last year as the #3 option after je and gronk- but he's not cut out to be the man. When our stars are back- he should be better.

...lafell is not a deep threat. brady should not be throwng bombs to him.

It's is simple as that. IMO LaFell is a great receiver 10-20 yards. He is not a deep threat and never will be on a consistent basis. It's a mistake to throw deep to LaFell and Chandler.

Their is nothing wrong with LaFell. What IS wrong IMO is throwing deep to anyone currently on the active roster. Throw short to medium all day long, inside and outside, check downs, fades, screens, sprinkle in a few runs here and there with whoever is getting the most yards. Tommy is getting killed, get the ball out quickly or hand off. Until the o-line is working at a high level again...that should be the game plan.

absolutely.

but lafell is not a deep threat. brady should not be throwng bombs to him.

But but but what about all the threads and posts every clamoring for a WR 6'1" or taller so that "Brady can finally have a deep threat!!!!"?

I think you're missing the point about the obvious shift in momentum at a time where we should've been more than happy to just kick the ball off like we do 99% of the time, all things considered on the injury front.

As mentioned, they've never lost a game at home where they've led at the half, so the *****ed attempt at...whatever that was, certainly had as much impact as the blocked punt to tie the score at 14 going into the half. Unfortunately by then, Philly went into the locker room pumped up as hell.

There were players who did mention that it collectively pissed the team off, as it certainly would've had it been against us down 0-14. They had looked pretty weak over the past 3 weeks up until that, so it's hard to see it as 100% purely coincidental, although we all know it was more than "just" that too.

Sup, I agree with you in so far as I don't agree with calling a play that requires players to do something they do very infrequently. I prefer under the preset circumstances to play it safe/the percentages.
With that said, don't you think this play and whatever level of momentum shift is caused is getting far too much attention given 21 non offensive points??

But but but what about all the threads and posts every clamoring for a WR 6'1" or taller so that "Brady can finally have a deep threat!!!!"?

They actually meant someone 6'1 that plays that size. Lafell plays smaller than he is and he is not fast and it doesnt matter because he won't catch the ball unless it's right on him and thats still not a sure thing.

Sup, I agree with you in so far as I don't agree with calling a play that requires players to do something they do very infrequently. I prefer under the preset circumstances to play it safe/the percentages.
With that said, don't you think this play and whatever level of momentum shift is caused is getting far too much attention given 21 non offensive points??

Yes, TBS. I absolutely do feel as though it's gotten too much attention, and I certainly don't feel that it was the main reason why we lost, but if we're speaking on that one particular play--I didn't care for it, and it seems like that's pretty much the majority consensus.

It's just as simple as that. Right, wrong, whatever. People are just speaking their opinions, but yes--it's time to put it to rest and move on.

The Eagles have a very strong special teams unit, we don't. That kick allowed us to return the ball without having to put out special teams unit at the relative disadvantage.

I highly doubt that Belichick tried that kick just to avoid having to put our regular special teams unit out there, due to some misconceived disadvantage.

I am going to disagree again, Snake Eyes. I don't know why you wouldn't put our special teams unit up there with the top of the league? I think we're just going to see this one a bit differently, that's all.

Last edited:
"'Certainly'. I think that word does not mean what you think it does."

Okay, fair enough. Using the word "certainly" is not correct in this case due to the 2 situations not being on the same plane, but I do believe that it had more merit than you're giving credit to.

The reasons being the specific situation/score at the time, the low chance of success at recovery, and the fact that you'd want to make a QB like Bradford drive down the field to beat you instead of giving him a shorter field (59 yds).

Last edited:
Greetings,
I don’t know why so many people are so upset with this dude. He was a key piece to the last championship and made big contributions last season, especially after the first four games. LaFell is what he is. He is best used on this team as an excellent third option behind Gronk and Edelman. He does his best work within 10-15 yards, and it was ALWAYS known he is not a burner nor will he ever be one. Due to the circumstances, being thin at receiver, he has to do try to do these extra things and carry heavy weight. To me it really looks like a communication issue. I really like LaFell, but at the same time I do hope a better and more dynamic receiver could take his starting spot.
Celticboy04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back