PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Celtics NBA Finals Thread

Wow the refs are disgusting tonight. Yes the Celtics are also not playing up to par. (Turnovers, missed dunks) but the Lakers are allowed to foul all night, Celtics get called for breathing on a Laker.

Therefore the Lakers are allowed to play more physical while the Celtics now kind of shy away from getting called for the foul. It's completely changed this game. Just another great example of Stern ball.

WOW, ************. As I was typing this, Pierce was OBVIOUSLY Fouled going to the hoop and nothing is called. In fact I think TWO Lakers fouled him while going to the hoop. Nothing was called, this about the 10th time I've seen this tonight. Garnett was called for a foul right after.

Anyone who thinks the Lakers just magically became more "physical" is delusional. This is just another great example of sternball. If the Celtics end up losing this series I'm never watching the NBA again, might as well just watch pro-wrestling.

the most important adjustment the celtics need to make for game 7 is to forget this game 6 ever happened....the sooner they forget this disaster the better.

the most important adjustment the celtics need to make for game 7 is to forget this game 6 ever happened....the sooner they forget this disaster the better.
Collapse of epic proportions. Nothing and I mean nothing worked tonight. It wasn't like the Lakers were scoring at will.. they put up 89 points.

Game 7.. hope Perkins is available.

well to sum this game up ... the Celtics got 'Ubuntu'd' ... seriously ubuntu'd.

The defense was much improved. They just have to find their offense. Once again, the Big 3's inconsistencies are showing. Hopefully, they can step it up on the offensive end in Game 7. It all starts and ends with Rondo.

The defense was much improved. They just have to find their offense. Once again, the Big 3's inconsistencies are showing. Hopefully, they can step it up on the offensive end in Game 7. It all starts and ends with Rondo.

It really is that simple, and always has been. He is their best player, their MVP, and their only chance at winning.

Pierce can play well, and they'll lose. If Rondo doesn't have a 15 point, 10 assist kind of night, then we'll lose the series - and it will be a pretty dramatic and traumatizing loss for the franchise considering the stakes.

The fact that his confidence wanes like this is frustrating. I trust Doc know he is the key and can find a way to get him to be aggressive again. His poor shooting at the FT line and with the jumpers is 100% mental. We've seen him shoot the ball well at times throughout his career, its all in his head. He has to drive and dish when it's available; he has to hit jumpers; he has to cause havoc defensively.

Unfortunately, I just don't see the confidence in him right now, so I don't see us winning.

It really is that simple, and always has been. He is their best player, their MVP, and their only chance at winning.

Pierce can play well, and they'll lose. If Rondo doesn't have a 15 point, 10 assist kind of night, then we'll lose the series - and it will be a pretty dramatic and traumatizing loss for the franchise considering the stakes.

The fact that his confidence wanes like this is frustrating. I trust Doc know he is the key and can find a way to get him to be aggressive again. His poor shooting at the FT line and with the jumpers is 100% mental. We've seen him shoot the ball well at times throughout his career, its all in his head. He has to drive and dish when it's available; he has to hit jumpers; he has to cause havoc defensively.

Unfortunately, I just don't see the confidence in him right now, so I don't see us winning.

All of this should be why Rondo should not even be in the ballpark of being considered a great player as of right now. Great players don't see their confidence wane like that. Great PG's can sink free throws and hit spot on jumpers when the other team openly gives you them. Rondo, as of right now, is a very good player. But he's not a great at this point in time. Far from it, actually.

All of this should be why Rondo should not even be in the ballpark of being considered a great player as of right now. Great players don't see their confidence wane like that. Great PG's can sink free throws and hit spot on jumpers when the other team openly gives you them. Rondo, as of right now, is a very good player. But he's not a great at this point in time. Far from it, actually.

I hate to say I agree, but unless he proves otherwise in Game 7, I'd probably say that's accurate.

On the flip side, and in defense of Rondo, he has carried this team all year and they are one game away from an NBA title. Outsiders looking in might think any of the Big 3 are responsible for this success, but that would not be an accurate conclusion to make. KG has been oft-injured and mediocre all season. Ray has been streaky, at times deadly, but at times atrocious. Pierce has had injury woes and even when he plays well, his game is a little too self-reliant to take this team far.

As someone who has watched at least 95% of the Celts games this season, I can say the quote "Big 3" are not the reason this team is where it is. I know some national media would say otherwise, but they only start paying attention to the C's in April.

This team is where it is b/c of Rondo. Swap Rondo for any PG other than the likes of Williams, Nash or CP3, and this team doesn't make it out of the 1st round. They'd be a .500 team at best.

And again in Rondo's defense - as a point guard, some of his success is predicated on the rest of his team's ability to capitalize on his penetration. Take game 5 for instance - Rondo had 7 turnovers, I can think of 3 that were a result of Garnett not rolling on a pick and roll, not filling a lane, or just not being fast enough. Another was a result of Perk's stone hands. And he'd probably have a lot more assists if Ray could've bought a basket during the home stretch.

So its not as black and white with a PG. It's a symbiotic thing that goes both ways. If Rondo plays welll, the team plays well, which even further fuels Rondo's play. If Rondo plays poorly, the team plays poorly, which drags him down even further. He is this team.

But, ultimately - I agree. He needs to be a confident player. He's come up big in a lot of clutch spots in his 3 postseasons - but he has a tendency to shy away in between those big moments. Hopefully game 7 brings out superstar Rondo again - he is needed to win this series.

Last edited:
This team is where it is b/c of Rondo. Swap Rondo for any PG other than the likes of Williams, Nash or CP3, and this team doesn't make it out of the 1st round. They'd be a .500 team at best.

On the flip side, put Wade on this Celtics team and they would be blowing the Lakers' doors in. The series, IMO, would already be over.

On the flip side, put Wade on this Celtics team and they would be blowing the Lakers' doors in. The series, IMO, would already be over.

Maybe, but the dynamics change. Don't get me wrong, Wade is my favorite non-Celtic player in the NBA (Iverson, excluded, if he still counts). I love his game. But with the current makeup of players this Celts team, Rondo is a near-perfect match. He would be a perfect match if he could bury the jumper with confidence. Wade is a similar player, but when Wade moves to the hoop, its with the intention to score - Rondo is a better distributor, as well as better on the defensive end. I don't know how Wade and Pierce would get along on the same team, two guys who need the ball a lot in their hands to flourish.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the dynamics change. Don't get me wrong, Wade is my favorite non-Celtic player in the NBA (Iverson, excluded, if he still counts). I love his game. But with the current makeup of players this Celts team, Rondo is a near-perfect match. He would be a perfect match if he could bury the jumper with confidence. Wade is a similar player, but when Wade moves to the hoop, its with the intention to score - Rondo is a better distributor, as well as better on the defensive end. I don't know how Wade and Pierce would get along on the same team, two guys who need the ball a lot in their hands to flourish.

Well Wade has only become a "ball hog", in the nicest sense of the word, since the rest of is team went to sh!t. Back in 2006 he was a much better distributor than he is today. Your point about Paul Pierce does make sense though. Still, as of right now, I would put Rondo in my list of "good" players in the NBA, but he wouldn't make my list of "elite". He has a lot of work to do on his game in the offseason (free throws and jump shots).

Only way Celtics win is if Pierce AND Rondo both have A games, nothing less.

If the Lakers have a halftime lead, just declare them champions.

Come one just one more game guys, PUT IT ALL OUT. This will enhance the legacy of everyone involve.

Rondo = MVP of an NBA Champion team
KG/Allen/Piece = The Big 3 will prove to be more than just a one hit wonder. One ring is great, two rings and your legacy is cemented.

You worked all season for this. Just one game. ONE GAME. You're the best road team in the league.

Last edited:
Although a few made plays early in the game could have turned the tide of that game significantly, I think once they were falling behind, followed by Perk going out, followed by Rondo's off game - the C's decided that Game 6 was a lost cause...

Better to mail it in, conserve health and energy, don't attempt to give away Game 7 strategy (i.e. gameplan without Perkins) in a losing Game 6 effort, and put every ounce of energy and coaching strategy into Game 7

Rondo has to play well for them to win. Period.

That makes him the MVP in my eyes, faults and all.

But overall this is going to have to be a team effort to overcome the loss of Perkins.

No excuses - the Lakers were without Bynum for a number of games - but the loss of Perkins was evident last night and only a true team effort will carry the day.

With so much going against them, facing a humiliating loss, playing on the Lakers home court, logic says the Celts don't have a chance.

But basketball isn't all that logical a game.

I see the Celts putting together a solid Team Victory tomorrow night - BECAUSE of all that's going against them - not simply in spite of it.

Last edited:
Although a few made plays early in the game could have turned the tide of that game significantly, I think once they were falling behind, followed by Perk going out, followed by Rondo's off game - the C's decided that Game 6 was a lost cause...

Better to mail it in, conserve health and energy, don't attempt to give away Game 7 strategy (i.e. gameplan without Perkins) in a losing Game 6 effort, and put every ounce of energy and coaching strategy into Game 7

Rondo has to play well for them to win. Period.

That makes him the MVP in my eyes, faults and all.

But overall this is going to have to be a team effort to overcome the loss of Perkins.

No excuses - the Lakers were without Bynum for a number of games - but the loss of Perkins was evident last night and only a true team effort will carry the day.

With so much going against them, facing a humiliating loss, playing on the Lakers home court, logic says the Celts don't have a chance.

But basketball isn't all that logical a game.

I see the Celts putting together a solid Team Victory tomorrow night - BECAUSE of all that's going against them - not simply in spite of it.
That would be nice. We'll know after the first 12 minutes I spose.

I hope the shots will fall tonight for the celts....I can tell you one thing though is the "big 3" know that there careers are on the downturn for the most part and possibly won't be this close to a championship again so the effort will be an A++++ for sure.....No doubt the intensity and focus will be there, let's just hope it is rewarded.....

Well Wade has only become a "ball hog", in the nicest sense of the word, since the rest of is team went to sh!t. Back in 2006 he was a much better distributor than he is today. Your point about Paul Pierce does make sense though. Still, as of right now, I would put Rondo in my list of "good" players in the NBA, but he wouldn't make my list of "elite". He has a lot of work to do on his game in the offseason (free throws and jump shots).

Fair enough.

He MUST work on his free throws. I just don't get how a guy can be that bad at the line - it has to be all mental. If I can walk down the street to the bball court, not having picked up the ball in weeks, and shoot 80-90% putting up free throws, then Rajon Rondo should be able to figure it out over the course of a summer.

But again, since I do think its mental, and not physical, then its a tougher issue. I have no doubt that in an empty gym, Rondo likely shoots 70% or so.

No Perkins for tonight. Lakers should dominate the boards again. :(

No Perkins for tonight. Lakers should dominate the boards again. :(

True....It hurts us defensively and rebounding but I believe we are more well rounded against a team like the Lakers with Sheed, baby, Even Scal on the floor instead of perkins.....It is because they are shooters and they help spread the floor so rondo can penetrate and or gives Pierce more room to operate....I believe the biggest downfall is just depth because once you get past sheed, baby, KG then it's like Sheldon???? Scal (I like scal but when's the last time he played in a game)???? Really our bigs HAVE to stay out of foul trouble....

True....It hurts us defensively and rebounding but I believe we are more well rounded against a team like the Lakers with Sheed, baby, Even Scal on the floor instead of perkins.....It is because they are shooters and they help spread the floor so rondo can penetrate and or gives Pierce more room to operate....I believe the biggest downfall is just depth because once you get past sheed, baby, KG then it's like Sheldon???? Scal (I like scal but when's the last time he played in a game)???? Really our bigs HAVE to stay out of foul trouble....

If you're going to need to count on your bigs to stay out of foul trouble, then don't count on 'Sheed. He's ALWAYS in foul trouble. Like I said before, it begins and ends with Rondo. If he can shake off the off night from Tuesday and rebound with a good game and IF either one of Pierce or Allen can step up (one of them MUST step up tonight) then the Celtics will walk away champions tonight. If not, it's going to be a long game.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back