PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBA Finals

I remember Celtics vs Houston Rockets and Moses Malone .... Malone had a bad finger ... they asked Bird about it... he said they would whack the **** on that hand all game until Malone had enough rofl ... what player would say that now.

Great post, I appreciate your insight as I was born in the 70s and I watched the game from the age of 10 until now in my late 40s.

Here's what I'll say, speaking for my era. the game as your perfectly stated was pure back then as it was based of pride and respect for the sport! Once the late 80s early 90s rolled around when the national TV deals got involved it brung in substantial money for the owners. I'll always root for the players in every sport whether we like them or not to get paid!

Transcendent players outside the pillars of cousy, Russell, heinshon, west, chamerberlain and so many others the 90s is where the NBA really took off as far as it's brand. Jordan took the NBA globally, and helped generate billions for the league and owners. Same for kobe, LeBron.

I really miss the 90s NBA where guys played with heart and guys didn't create super teams to win a chip. I'm so happy to have watched the 80s celtics where it was about we not me. Bird was probably the most deadliest shooter in that time period.

Imagine if bird had the personality of a shaq his brand would be through the roof post retirement.
One of the more frustrating things for me with today's game is how the 3-point line has taken over. I still can't get used to seeing a player drive for the hoop only to throw the ball out to a teammate for a 3-pointer. Red had it right when he said that you should get 3 points for getting it closer to the basket, not further away.

The thing I remember about Shaq was how he was allowed to drop his shoulder and drive defenders back whether they had position or not. In the old days if Wilt was allowed to do that then nobody would have ever stopped him.

And if my memory serves me correctly Isiah Thomas was one of the first players to start bending the rule on turning the ball over. Now it's a pretty common occurrence compared to then.

Not many younger fans realize that in the old days players were credited with rebounds on missed foul shots and that offensive goaltending rules were created because Wilt used to jump up and guide in his teammates longer shots.

One of the more frustrating things for me with today's game is how the 3-point line has taken over. I still can't get used to seeing a player drive for the hoop only to throw the ball out to a teammate for a 3-pointer. Red had it right when he said that you should get 3 points for getting it closer to the basket, not further away.

The thing I remember about Shaq was how he was allowed to drop his shoulder and drive defenders back whether they had position or not. In the old days if Wilt was allowed to do that then nobody would have ever stopped him.

And if my memory serves me correctly Isiah Thomas was one of the first players to start bending the rule on turning the ball over. Now it's a pretty common occurrence compared to then.

Not many younger fans realize that in the old days players were credited with rebounds on missed foul shots and that offensive goaltending rules were created because Wilt used to jump up and guide in his teammates longer shots.
The older days, I believe the game was still adjusting to the the style of play of certain players as you mentioned guys like wilt.

Shaq was such a force that guys had to defend him aggressive to have a chance to hold post position. However shaq was just utter dominant like wilt was in his era.. literally a man among boys.. 50ppg back then.

Yeah the 3 point game is kinda frustrating this started to happen in the early 2000s with the kings. However they run and gun and shot with high efficiency. As far as turnovers tatum and brown broke records for turnovers for players at thier positions. For me in my generation the 90s will always be the era where the game morphed to becoming a international game and opened so many doors for many people around the sport!

Nuggets are impressive .... not sure the Heat can play much better ...
But very sloppy ... like watching our Celtics.
Damn the Nuggets ... wow never a championship ever .... incredible team.
Denver has always been a Bronco's and not much else sports city ... that will change.

Last edited:

Team Stats​

Denver Nuggets
Miami Heat
FG39-7834-75
Field Goal %50.045.3
3PT14-288-24
Three Point %50.033.3
FT16-2116-19
Free Throw %76.284.2
Rebounds3236
Offensive Rebounds58
Defensive Rebounds2728
Assists2622
Steals122
Blocks63
Total Turnovers716
Points Off Turnovers820
Fast Break Points1212
Points in Paint4844
Fouls1819
Technical Fouls01
Flagrant Fouls00
Largest Lead173

Bruce Brown. Aaron Gordon. Pope.
These guys stepped up to complement the 2 superstars.
The key was the Nuggets holding serve when Jokic had to sit for 5 mins in the 4th with 5 fouls. Defensive intensity. Solid offense.
Impressive win. Series ovah.
Nuggets get their 1st NBA title.
David Thompson,Dan Issel ,Alex English will all be celebrating somewhere.
Miami is scrappy but they ain't beating Denver 3 straight.
Jokic is officially the best basketball player on the planet, passing Giannis who slides to #2. Funny you pronounce both their names with a Y.
Hope the C's were watching and taking notes.

Bruce Brown. Aaron Gordon. Pope.
These guys stepped up to complement the 2 superstars.
The key was the Nuggets holding serve when Jokic had to sit for 5 mins in the 4th with 5 fouls. Defensive intensity. Solid offense.
Impressive win. Series ovah.
Nuggets get their 1st NBA title.
David Thompson,Dan Issel ,Alex English will all be celebrating somewhere.
Miami is scrappy but they ain't beating Denver 3 straight.
Jokic is officially the best basketball player on the planet, passing Giannis who slides to #2. Funny you pronounce both their names with a Y.
Hope the C's were watching and taking notes.
Word......

Nuggets are impressive .... not sure the Heat can play much better ...
But very sloppy ... like watching our Celtics.
Damn the Nuggets ... wow never a championship ever .... incredible team.
Denver has always been a Bronco's and not much else sports city ... that will change.
Yes, Denver is a well coached and very deep team. Those guys commit to defending and as far as out celtics... I hope the players are watching and learning what a real championship caliber team looks like... I truly hope we get a true PG, this offense would be so much better and efficient. Tatum and brown have more turn over than a dunkin donuts job!

Bloodbath tomorrow or hard fought game?

Kinda mind-boggling Denver has 0 NBA titles

Word......
@IcyPatriot I really hope the celtics watched the finals, and saw a deep team just like themselves however that play consistently, and are well coached. Miami was overmatched.. Caleb Martin disappeared who killed the celtics.

@IcyPatriot I really hope the celtics watched the finals, and saw a deep team just like themselves however that play consistently, and are well coached. Miami was overmatched.. Caleb Martin disappeared who killed the celtics.
Denver's secondary players played well, the Celtics' guys did not. Heck, our two "stars" were not consistent and crapped the bed in game 7

Denver's secondary players played well, the Celtics' guys did not. Heck, our two "stars" were not consistent and crapped the bed in game 7
Yes agreed and the Jay's between the 2 have more turnovers than a dunkin donuts job!

Imho, I thought this was a great read. Lots of great little... nuggets. Crazy that Jokic is a 2nd Rd pick.

Heat remind me of the Jason Kidd Nets. Everyone admired their unselfish team concept but didn’t want to watch the ugly games. Both teams got bounced twice in Finals.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back