PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jasyon Tatum is still overrated

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It's time (once again) to make the claim that Jason Tatum is overrated. I watched the last few minutes of last night's game and I was astounded at how poorly Tatum played down the stretch. With only a few minutes left the C's had a double digit lead. That's when Tatum took over with 2 rushed 3 pointers that clanged off the rim, a couple of turnovers, a ridiculous technical that gave the Hawks the lead with seconds left and then he finished the game with an airball for the last shot.

I know that I heard this Celtics team being called the greatest team ever earlier this season. I laughed then and it's even funnier now. If the Celtics are smart they'll get whatever they can for Tatum while he's still young and has a good reputation. They aren't winning with him being the go to guy. I'd rather see Brown in that role.

Knee jerk reactions. Tatum is our best hope for a championship in any near future, trading him is the equivalent to a rebuild. Can we not leap off the ledge right yet? It was a tough loss but it was game 5 against a team that is playing their asses off. The 2008 Celtics went to a game 7 against the Hawks if you recall.

Tatum had a bad game last night but it’s about more than just him.

I’d also like to call out poor defensive performances by multiple guys not named Tatum, allowing the Hawks countless open three point looks with lazy contests. Oh and a series long inability to show grade school basketball fundamentals of boxing out. My girlfriend who doesn’t watch usually watch sports went to the game with me and kept asking “why aren’t they boxing out”.

I agree that we really can’t lose this series without their being some significant question marks about the team but cross that bridge if it gets to that.

Last edited:
Nuggets closed it out. They have players willing to drive to the basket in key spots. Celtics would rather shoot 3s. A championship team wins that game at home last night. Sixers are resting and getting stronger every day now.

Nuggets closed it out. They have players willing to drive to the basket in key spots. Celtics would rather shoot 3s. A championship team wins that game at home last night. Sixers are resting and getting stronger every day now.
The Sixers aren’t a scary team, I think the Celtics would take care of them no problem. But it’s a series like this that is a pain in the ass and should have been seen coming. Celtics have played down to competition all season while performing great against the contending teams.

I’ll also give the Hawks credit. They’ve been playing really good basketball and fighting hard in every game this series.

Tatum is really disappointing. Taking last year's playoffs together with this year so far it looks pretty clear that he gets stupider as the lights get brighter. The very antithesis of Celtic for those who grew up watching Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Cowens, Bird, et al. He melts when he should be taking over.

On a completely different note, there was some girl near a mike on the broadcast who was unbearable to listen to

Last edited:
Tatum is really disappointing. Taking last year's playoffs together with this year so far it looks pretty clear that he gets stupider as the lights get brighter. The very antithesis of Celtic for those who grew up watching Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Cowens, Bird, et al. He melts when he should be taking over.
I'm trying my best not to be too critical of the NBA but it's difficult when I have all of those memories of how the game used to be played. And don't get me started on the ridiculous all time ranking that the current clowns gave to Bill Russell, easily the best player to ever play the game.

When I see a player drive to the hoop I think of Tiny Archibald and how he'd strike fear into big guys in front of the basket because they knew that Tiny would force them to foul him and still make the layup. Instead the driving player today will throw a pass out to the 3 point line where some 6'10" player will clang one off the rim.

Red was correct when he said that 3 points should go to the player who gets the ball closer to the basket, not further away.

Last edited:
Still a top 5 player in the NBA and you think they should trade him? For what? Draft picks? This is insane. They are up 3 games to 2 in round 1.

Should the Bucks get rid of Antetokounmpo because they are down 3-1 against an 8th seed?

Name the player(s) they should get in return?

This blows me away.

On a completely different note, there were some girl near a mike on the broadcast who was unbearable to listen to
Another benefit of my keeping the volume down.

Still a top 5 player in the NBA and you think they should trade him? For what? Draft picks? This is insane. They are up 3 games to 2 in round 1.

Should the Bucks get rid of Antetokounmpo because they are down 3-1 against an 8th seed?

This blows me away.
We're talking about the game on the court, not the record of other teams.

Jason Tatum is in no way a top five player, even in today's watered down version of the NBA. He's a turnover waiting to happen, whines on almost every play and in crunch time he usually folds like a new tent. The amount of times he does well is outnumbered by the amount of times he screws up. My guess is that the rest of the NBA talks top 5 nonsense to keep him here.

I really only follow the Celtics and not as much as I used to, so I can't give you an accurate answer on who to go after, but if he's so desirable then some team will take him off our hands and give us something in return. It could be addition by subtraction if the new player fits with Brown. I'm actually more concerned that they could lose Brown, who I like more.

This blows me away.
Thank you for being a voice of reason.

We're talking about the game on the court, not the record of other teams.

Jason Tatum is in no way a top five player, even in today's watered down version of the NBA. He's a turnover waiting to happen, whines on almost every play and in crunch time he usually folds like a new tent. The amount of times he does well is outnumbered by the amount of times he screws up. My guess is that the rest of the NBA talks top 5 nonsense to keep him here.

I really only follow the Celtics and not as much as I used to, so I can't give you an accurate answer on who to go after, but if he's so desirable then some team will take him off our hands and give us something in return. It could be addition by subtraction if the new player fits with Brown. I'm actually more concerned that they could lose Brown, who I like more.
I really highly doubt you watch many Celtics games and suspect you mostly just started tuning in for the playoffs. He is absolutely one of the top seven players in the league and if he could push through to a championship he has a case for top 3.

Y’all act like the dude is a complete disappointment. How come KD hasn’t won without Steph and the Warriors? Where is Jokic’s championship? Doncic hasn’t won **** and his team just missed the playoffs. Embiid has never gotten close to a title. Jimmy Butler has never gotten closer to a title than Tatum.

And yet all those guys get praised to the high heavens when most of them have accomplished less in terms of winning than Tatum.

Please just stop. I love Brown too but if he was option #1 we would be a 5th or 6th seed playoff team.

I’ve most of the games this season and my concerns with the team are not about Tatum specifically. It is a collective habit to play down to opponents and look past the lesser teams. I guarantee the Celtics are looking ahead to the 76ers and they aren’t playing fully locked in basketball right now. This is evident by poor defensive effort for stretches. I was at the game and probably didn’t have the best angle but the defense on Trae Young’s final shot looked shoddy. Everyone knows he can shoot from way out deep if he has space. He should have been smothered. He also ended up on Horford again on at least one occasion which happened four or five times in crunch time in one of the other games.

There is also the fact that Mazzula-ball is risky. I generally agree with shooting the three a lot but I saw guys like Horford and White drive to the rim with easy buckets and opt to kick it out for the open three look which sometimes missed. You don’t pass up guaranteed points, drives me crazy and it’s something that Mazzula has instilled.

Last edited:
Tatum is a stat collector...he is not a leader. It's just not his personality. i dont want to get rid of him but i am not going to expect him to take over a game when it matter the most. We had a chance to close out the series and he was poor. He plays lazy and he is just not my type of player. Im not going to argue with the folks who thinks he is the second coming but i just dont like his make up. I would take JB all day as i think he is a more explosive and athletic player.

With Brogdon and White on the team I wish Smart would watch the 4th quarters from the bench.

Tatum is a stat collector...he is not a leader. It's just not his personality. i dont want to get rid of him but i am not going to expect him to take over a game when it matter the most. We had a chance to close out the series and he was poor. He plays lazy and he is just not my type of player. Im not going to argue with the folks who thinks he is the second coming but i just dont like his make up. I would take JB all day as i think he is a more explosive and athletic player.
I feel the same way about Tatum and I'd also take Brown over him. Unfortunately, I think Brown is G-O-N-E

With Brogdon and White on the team I wish Smart would watch the 4th quarters from the bench.
The inmates run the asylum in the NBA, far more than any other sport. I like Smart's defense but his boneheaded plays and poor shots makes him a risk late in close games.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back