PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges: Condon puts Pats on call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you attack me for me getting my facts straight by giving incorrect facts to prove me wrong, you might want to get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

BTW, the person most responsible for drafting Tom Brady was really **** Rehbein who talked Belichick into drafting Brady over Tim Rattay, but it was Belichick who made the ultimate decison to draft Brady. It certainly wasn't Grier who had the final say.

Bingo! Without the late D Rehbein no Brady a very different franchise.

every Pats fan knows this...only an undercover Rat troll would pick an argument about this...just like he does about everything else

People here have gotten way to cheap with their 'offers'. As a general rule, if you want to get a good wide receiver in free agency, you have to pay good wide receiver money. Waiting can get you a bargain, but it also tends to get you players that are available for a reason. The same goes for whatever other positions you're looking at.

TRue - I saw all those salary estimates in this thread and know those are way lower than what the market will bear. Good WRs are always in demand.

One also needs to accept that while good players cost money, teams still sometimes strike out, and players who were great in one system can struggle to be good in another.

Still, ultimately you have to gamble and bring in players with the best chance to make you great.

Colston. He is the quintessential Pats receiver in a system that is almost as complicated and just as effective. Anything else is nonsense.

every Pats fan knows this...only an undercover Rat troll would pick an argument about this...just like he does about everything else

Yeah, saying Grier picked Brady is a dead giveaway of a Jets fan pretending to be a Pats fan.

So the conversation goes from Tom Condon to Bobby Grier. :confused:

what can you say about Condon...he's a scumbag...the Past don't deal with him

Tom Condon is well respected in the NFL, just because he and BB don't get along means he is scum. The pats wanted Watson to sign for 6 years and condom wanted a 5 year deal as 75% of players drafted around that point in the draft received, How is that being a scum?

BB is a wonderful coach and a very good judge of talent, but his is obstinate and pig headed also. As his interpretation of the sideline cameras memo proves.

Tom Condon is not Scot Boras who always steers his players to the biggest pay day whether or not it is the best fit.

I have no doubt that Condon wants to see Lloyd in NEI am thinking 3 years 15 mill with incentives that could push it to 21.

I also think Welker would jump at 3-24 with 12 mill down.

I also think Welker would jump at 3-24 with 12 mill down.

This could very well be the potential hold up, the guaranteed money.

I would think that Welker would be looking at something closer to the late teens for guaranteed money, with the addition of another yr. Of course that is just my personal opinion, and you could very well be a lot closer to what the actual pact may be, if there ends up being one.

I am thinking something around 4 yrs/ 30+ with guaranteed money in the 17-18 million range.

Colston. He is the quintessential Pats receiver in a system that is almost as complicated and just as effective. Anything else is nonsense.

Getting Colston makes it hard to keep Welker in my opinion.

Getting Colston makes it hard to keep Welker in my opinion.

You may be right.

I suppose it will all depend on if they reach a long term deal with 83 or not. If so, it could lower his potential cap hit drastically.

I would guess that we'll be looking at someone a lot less of a name in regards to a FA WR, although I hope that I am very wrong.

I'm guessing initial tag for Welker, with a long term deal reached.

Pioli didn't join the staff until after the draft.

Hence the 'or'....I wasn't sure of certain details, but I am sure that BB has had 100% control of football operations since he signed. Grier was given something to do.

5 knee surgeries, including microfracture on each leg. I consider that to be multiple red flags, since I look at any microfracture as a red flag when dealing with long-term contracts. You're welcome to take a different approach, and sing his praises to the heavens. Lloyd's been the better receiver over the course of the past two seasons, he's been healthier historically, and he'll likely cost less.

I'll pass on Colston.

Just wanted to follow up on this, since PFT has an article on topic:

...According to Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune, “some personnel men” around the NFL have reservations about Colston’s ability to stay so productive in another system...

...Long-term durability is another concern. The free agent has undergone at least six known surgeries in his NFL career, five of which have been on Colston’s knees. He turns 29 in June.

NFL teams wary of Marques Colston in free agency | ProFootballTalk

If he thinks anyone is going to hand Lloyd a monster contract with such a strong FA WR class he is going to be in for a shock.

Not only that, what has Lloyd done statistically to date ? Check his stats, nothing earth shattering by any means. If he wants to break the bank it won't be here.

Last edited:
Pats fans better face this inalienable fact. The Pats ARE NOT going to invest 16-20% of their limited cap resources on 2 WRs. Its just NOT going to happen. I'm thinking that the only way the Pats will be able to sign a FA WR the quality of Lloyd is if they get Welker signed to a long term deal which would significantly lower is cap number in the first 2 years of deal.

If I had to put a number on it, I think $12MM would be the Maximum the Pats would spend on the WR position as far as cap space goes for this season.....and that's being optimistic. The real number is probably closer to $10MM

Let's ignore the ST/WR roster spots that now belong to Edelman and Slater.
=================================================

Is is your position that the budget for the FOUR WR roster spots is between $10M and $12M? This is severely limiting. Until Welker signs a new deal, it is impossible.

Pats fans better face this inalienable fact. The Pats ARE NOT going to invest 16-20% of their limited cap resources on 2 WRs. Its just NOT going to happen. I'm thinking that the only way the Pats will be able to sign a FA WR the quality of Lloyd is if they get Welker signed to a long term deal which would significantly lower is cap number in the first 2 years of deal.

If I had to put a number on it, I think $12MM would be the Maximum the Pats would spend on the WR position as far as cap space goes for this season.....and that's being optimistic. The real number is probably closer to $10MM

Not only that, what has Lloyd done statistically to date ? Check his stats, nothing earth shattering by any means. If he wants to break the bank it won't be here.

Averaging 75 catches and 1,200 yards per year over the last two years. 77 catches for 1448 and 11Tds under McDaniels in 2010. These numbers are comparable or better than VJax and Wallace.

What was your point again?

1.) It's not an inalienable fact that they won't get both Welker and Lloyd

2.) The Patriots have exceeded your high end number in the past

Last edited:

Your authoritative tone is incongruent with the uninformed garbage in your post.

Last edited:
The real number is probably closer to $10MM

So Welker gets 7m a the other 4-5 WRs have to split 3m? I don't think that adds up, man. I think it's closer to 15m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes