PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booing at the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tunescribe said:
This is ignorance. How do you know FOR A FACT that the Pats were mailing in an effort in the first quarter? Looked to me that they were trying pretty damn hard but that Buffalo was outplaying them. Just because we're not doing well doesn't automatically equate to lack of effort. Sometimes the other team just does better.

That last series of the first half where they clearly ran out the clock was horrific. Best clutch QB in the game and you can't take a few shots? For the record, Matt Light was AWFUL today.

Tunescribe said:
Believe what you want. Ask any player candidly whether booing motivates him to perform better, and he will say no. All the negative reinforcement a player needs (if any) will come from his coach.
Who are you to know how all players feel?

NEM said:
It sure does........ psychologically..... while cheering gives them an adreline rush, booing gives them motivation to do better. Its human.

Wrong, NEM, wrong. It just doesn't work that way when it comes to booing. Booing usually is misplaced negative energy giving voice to fan ignorance. The players don't think to themselves, "Damn, I hate this booing and don't want to let my fans down, so I'm going to try harder." I believe this came up last year after the San Diego game -- the Patriots players addressed the booing, said it had no positive effect on their performance, only a negative one.

jaychamp said:
Who are you to know how all players feel?

No one knows how ALL players feel, but I know how most of them feel. I was a newspaper sportswriter for 10 years, including coverage of the Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears, and was a writer/copy editor for Patriots Football Weekly. I also was an intercollegiate athlete (track), and have a degree in coaching. I've spent a lot of time with and around athletes of all sports at the college and pro levels.

NEM said:
They werent booing at the players, IMO. They were booing at the decision by the coaching staff to take knees instead of taking a shot... And, I agree with that booing.

Why can't more fans be as perceptive as we are on this issue? I swear, if I have to hear one more media member or idiot fan on a radio show talking about the boos and how it's directed at the players, i'm going to snap.

The fans boo'd because the coaches called plays to just run out the clock instead of taking a shot before the half. End of story.

NEM said:
Nothing personal, but that is ridiculous.

Every coach, at one time or another has been booed for a particular bad play call, a bad decision, bad game planning, or whatever.

Booing by a fan is no different than a sports writer writing up a bad commentary.

Yu take the good with the bad, the pros with the cons, and if you cant, then you shouldn't be in the game.

Winning three Super Bowls has nothing to with the present moment, and if a coach,player, or whoever, has performed poorly at that particular time, booing is a way of letting them know there is displeasure.

just as we boo referees who make a bad call.

Booing is part of the game, here, and in every other part of the world.

NEM, think about this for a moment: Why does one boo? It's the same reason a four-year-old throws a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants. It is a selfish personal expression of frustration and anger (usually misplaced). It is NOT a constructive means to improve the performance conditions leading to that frustration/anger in the first place. How many times have you booed and nothing changed? Case closed.

For those who think booing is such a motivational tool, i wonder why coaches
haven't caught on yet?
They could install a booing machine right there on the sidelines to motivate
the players.

On the contrary, I've see coaches like Cowher and Saban and many others
applaud their players when they make a blunder.
I'm sure when they get behind closed doors and they are not in the heat of
battle they are different but they give support when it's most needed ...
in the heat of the battle.

Well I'm glad to know many PATs fans who will not boo this team and I see
there are some here who think that way. We may get upset and yell and scream
but we will not boo the team we love.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
No one knows how ALL players feel, but I know how most of them feel. I was a newspaper sportswriter for 10 years, including coverage of the Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears, and was a writer/copy editor for Patriots Football Weekly. I also was an intercollegiate athlete (track), and have a degree in coaching. I've spent a lot of time with and around athletes of all sports at the college and pro levels.
Well that answered my question then :)

Touche

By they I don't boo my team, but I just have nothing against it.

Last edited:
NEM said:
It sure does........ psychologically..... while cheering gives them an adreline rush, booing gives them motivation to do better. Its human.

Yeah, which is why atheletes are frequently crediting their comeback in a game to the crowd for booing them. :rolleyes:

The team and it's fans would be better served if instead of sitting on their hands or listening to the Sox game on their radio fans would make noise during the other team's drives when the Pats are down. Not by saving up their pasty football nerd angst for a viscious boo'ing of the players they paid to see.

But no man, rage against the machine, you paid your buck oh five so you're entitled to a big win.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
For those who think booing is such a motivational tool, i wonder why coaches
haven't caught on yet?
They could install a booing machine right there on the sidelines to motivate
the players.

On the contrary, I've see coaches like Cowher and Saban and many others
applaud their players when they make a blunder.
I'm sure when they get behind closed doors and they are not in the heat of
battle they are different but they give support when it's most needed ...
in the heat of the battle.

Well I'm glad to know many PATs fans who will not boo this team and I see
there are some here who think that way. We may get upset and yell and scream
but we will not boo the team we love.

Exactly. It's only common sense. Nice to see someone else here who gets it.
:rocker:

JR4 said:
I was so mad to hear so called fans booing as PATs left the field at half time

I just can not understad how any fan can even think of booing after what this
team has given them over last 5 years.

I can not attend the home games but if any of you guys do and hear a fan
booing .... be man/woman enough to set them straight. Stand up and
yell at them ...

... I just couldn't believe my ears. If I attended the game I would pass
leaflets out until hauled off by security

it would say

Considing what the Patriots have give us during the past 5 years,
any Fan who Boos them ... has to be the lowest scum on earth.

Sorry .... just the way I feel! I was shocked.

What kind of people are these so called fans.

You know what? Screw you. I booed because the team performed horribly during the first half of the game, against what was then considered one of the poorer teams in the league. All I did was express my dissatisfaction with how the game was going. Does that mean I don't love the Patriots? Hell no! Try going to a Red Sox game sometime, they're even worse.

PaulNEPats said:
You know what? Screw you. I booed because the team performed horribly during the first half of the game, against what was then considered one of the poorer teams in the league. All I did was express my dissatisfaction with how the game was going. Does that mean I don't love the Patriots? Hell no!.

Totally agree. There's nothing wrong with fans having high standards. It's the equivalent of saying: "This is crap, fellas. We know you and we know you're better than this. Show us in the second half."

That's what I meant when I booed today, and any perceptive player with a brain can figure it out. I consider fans who give nothing but positive reinforcement no matter how badly the team plays to be borderline insane and not living in the real world.

PaulNEPats said:
I booed because the team performed horribly during the first half of the game, against what was then considered one of the poorer teams in the league.
This kills me. "what was then considered to be..." Considered by whom?? The talking heads on TV??? This is a brand new season, a team with brand new coaches, some new players, and some so called expert says, before they ever play a real game, they're one of the worst? And you buy that they are and therefore boo our team because we are "supposed" to be so much better? Get off it, any team can show flashes of brilliance, not just our beloved Pats, and obviously this team had it together for a little while and knocked our team for a loop. So you boo?? Please, save your ticket money next time, cause there is no guarantee the team we are up against won't decide to be pretty good that day, no matter who has said they are supposed to be terrible.

patsacolachick said:
This kills me. "what was then considered to be..." Considered by whom?? The talking heads on TV??? This is a brand new season, a team with brand new coaches, some new players, and some so called expert says, before they ever play a real game, they're one of the worst? And you buy that they are and therefore boo our team because we are "supposed" to be so much better? Get off it, any team can show flashes of brilliance, not just our beloved Pats, and obviously this team had it together for a little while and knocked our team for a loop. So you boo?? Please, save your ticket money next time, cause there is no guarantee the team we are up against won't decide to be pretty good that day, no matter who has said they are supposed to be terrible.

I agree with those talking heads you mention. The Bills are not a good team. They have some good defensive players, but by most accounts, this is a mediocre team they went up against today. The Pats played lousy that first half, and needed a wakeup call. Tom Brady himself said he would've booed, so come off your high horse.

PaulNEPats said:
I agree with those talking heads you mention. The Bills are not a good team. They have some good defensive players, but by most accounts, this is a mediocre team they went up against today. The Pats played lousy that first half, and needed a wakeup call. Tom Brady himself said he would've booed, so come off your high horse.
Tom Brady was supposed to say what, exactly? Damn I wish my hometown crowd wouldn't boo me?? He is definately going into politics one day, he is so damn smooth. No I do not believe Tom Brady would have ever booed his idol Joe Montana, even if he was having a bad day. And when you boo the team, you are booing Brady, like it or not.

I have no problem with booing. If I was there I would have boo'd myself. I think it all comes down to everyone was so pumped to start the season and to see the team come out and play like crap in the first half was very frustrating. Expectations in New England have been raised. Losing on opening week to Buffalo AT HOME just doesn't sit well with most die hard Pats fans. At halftime it appeared we were on our way to another Buffalo 2003 performance or a San Diego game from last year.

patsacolachick said:
Tom Brady was supposed to say what, exactly? Damn I wish my hometown crowd wouldn't boo me?? He is definately going into politics one day, he is so damn smooth. No I do not believe Tom Brady would have ever booed his idol Joe Montana, even if he was having a bad day. And when you boo the team, you are booing Brady, like it or not.

Sorry, next time I'll give them a standing ovation after they give a performance like the 1st half.

PaulNEPats said:
Sorry, next time I'll give them a standing ovation after they give a performance like the 1st half.
That's the spirit :rolleyes:

At least the crowd was into it. I dropped $250 before I got into the gate, plus another $350 in tickets, the another $100 inside. We're talking a $700 day including tailgating. I have to work my arse off for that ant the Pats take a knee before the half? That's all the fans were booing about, period, and we had the right to. No one's feelings were hurt.

pats1 said:
Great.

Doesn't change the fact they played like crap in the first half.

The fans aren't booing the team and their accomplishments. They're booing what they saw in the game thus far.

Exactly. Those that are overreacting to the booing, sound like soccer moms themselves.

We want to see our team fail? Get the hell out of here! We're all proud of the Patriots and what they've accomplished, and for the really hardcore fans, we've taken the bad times with the good. That does not mean we're required to applaud conservative playcalling and crappy performance. Hell, indifference would be worse.

I wouldn't have booed had I been at the game, but I'm not about to question the loyalty of the fans in attendence that decide to. I'm sure they all want to see our guys prevail, just as I would.

I'm more disappointed in guys like Kevin Youkilis, who I like because he goes out and performs each night and shows that he cares, but isn't thick skinned enough to try to understand the fans. If you are a professional athlete making millions, you take the bad with the good, the criticism with the acclamations, it comes with the territory.

New England sports fans are among the best and most passionate fans on Earth, and don't forget it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back