PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booing at the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last $.02 on the subject:

If I were at Gilette Stadium instead of Hershey PA, I would have booed at halftime.
I also would have cheered Troy Brown's TD catch.
And I would have yelled when Buffalo had the ball.
And I would have stood and yelled when Buffalo had the ball on 3rd down.
And I would have stood, yelled, and stomped my feet when Buffalo had the ball in our red zone.
And I would have cheered Kevin Faulk's terrific TD catch.
I would have yelled before the safety, and cheered afterwards.

I have no problem whatsoever with booing; in fact, I encourage it when deserved. I do have a problem with "fans" who sit on their hands, play with their toddlers, entertain their clients, talk on their cellphones and expect you to refrain from noisemaking. This isn't golf, or tennis, or the public library. This is a game of situational aggression, and the situation called for some halftime raspberries. Did the pats win because they were booed? No, although it may have helped BB get his message across, e.g.: "Did you hear that? They're booing because we all stunk. Now this is what we need to do for the 2nd half..."

In conclusion, to "...any fan who boos them...has to be the lowest scum on earth", I say: how dare you.

Last edited:
NEM said:
They werent booing at the players, IMO. They were booing at the decision by the coaching staff to take knees instead of taking a shot... And, I agree with that booing.

I was at the game. The booing was directed at the playcalling and the decision to take a knee.

BTW..I am not one to boo but under those circumstances I understood fans frustration.

captain stone said:
My last $.02 on the subject:

If I were at Gilette Stadium instead of Hershey PA, I would have booed at halftime.
I also would have cheered Troy Brown's TD catch.
And I would have yelled when Buffalo had the ball.
And I would have stood and yelled when Buffalo had the ball on 3rd down.
And I would have stood, yelled, and stomped my feet when Buffalo had the ball in our red zone.
And I would have cheered Kevin Faulk's terrific TD catch.
I would have yelled before the safety, and cheered afterwards.

I have no problem whatsoever with booing; in fact, I encourage it when deserved. I do have a problem with "fans" who sit on their hands, play with their toddlers, entertain their clients, talk on their cellphones and expect you to refrain from noisemaking. This isn't golf, or tennis, or the public library. This is a game of situational aggression, and the situation called for some halftime raspberries. Did the pats win because they were booed? No, although it may have helped BB get his message across, e.g.: "Did you hear that? They're booing because we all stunk. Now this is what we need to do for the 2nd half..."

In conclusion, to "...any fan who boos them...has to be the lowest scum on earth", I say: how dare you.

or fans who sit and talk to each other about unrelated subjects instead of watching the game. Fans who insist on continually getting up during the game to go get food, beer or go to the bathroom.

If the Pats hadn't taken a knee, there probably would have been little or no booing. But that gave fans an excuse to vent, and then they were booing about more than just taking a knee.

The way they were playing at that point, taking a knee was actually the right thing to do, and I think most fans knew that. The fact they more or less HAD to take a knee symbolized the whole first half's effort.

Tunescribe said:
Time for Gillette fans to grow up a bit and take a few cues from the fans in Kansas City, Seattle and Green Bay.

Oh you mean we should just be a bunch of yahoo's, sorry no thanks!

Booing is the downside of what is the double-edged sword of playing on a pro sports team in the Northeast (NYC, Boston, Philly). When you play lousy, you get booed. However when you play well, you have the most rabid supporting fans you can ask for. And most importantly, the fans care. They care enough to show up and pay attention. So when a guy like Youkilis for example whines about booing in Boston you know what, go play in Kansas City where the fans never boo out of the 8,000 there. BTW, I was at the game yesterday and no, I wasn't one of the ones booing.

So...what you are all saying is...if I start boo'ing the forum...eventually all of the terrible posts will clear up? everyone will be motivated to make positive contributions? there will be no redundant threads?

sweet!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
JR4 said:
I was so mad to hear so called fans booing as PATs left the field at half time

I completely agree with you. I was ashamed of the so-called fans. The game was not out of reach, but even if it were, a fan supports his/her team of finds another team--one that wins overwhelming 100% of the time. Now let me see, which team would that be?? How about the Colts? No wait...

vyrago said:
JR4 said:
I was so mad to hear so called fans booing as PATs left the field at half time

I completely agree with you. I was ashamed of the so-called fans..

Give me a break. You don't cheer when a team plays that poorly. You let them know you are dissatisfied and expect better. Some people here seem to equate booing with sticking a knife in the team's back. Grow up. Mature and intelligent players know what booing means, and need to be professional enough to understand that the fans CARE and have high standards.

It's like when a straight-A student comes home with an F on his report card. You don't pretend it's no big deal because he usually gets an A. You sternly let him know that he is capable of better and you expect better - because you know the kid's brain and drive well enough to know that good effort and focus will yield better results than an F. If he gets an F, he screwed up in a way that is completely out of character and he needs to know how disappointed you are. You don't stop loving your own kid if gets bad grades, but your disappointment needs to be communicated clearly.

This is no different.

Kingasaurus said:
This is no different.
Actually it is, unless of course you gave birth to each and every Patriots player and coach.

I was actually thinking about starting this same thread. I heard that at halftime and was completely appalled. The Patriots crowds are absolute crap anyway so I guess it comes as no surprise that some of the morons would turn on their own team. I guess with their beloved Sox well out of the playoff picture, they can divert their total negative energy on the Patriots. My only question is how stupid do those clowns feel this morning?

Last edited:
Alk said:
Actually it is, unless of course you gave birth to each and every Patriots player and coach.

The analogy is obvious. We don't stop loving OUR team because they play like crap and get booed. We just know they're capable of better and we expect to see it.

Kingasaurus said:
The analogy is obvious. We don't stop loving OUR team because they play like crap and get booed. We just know they're capable of better and we expect to see it.
I'm going to keep this in mind. If my kid god forbid ever comes home with a grade that isn't up to my standards, I'm just going to boo him. I can't wait. :rolleyes:

Alk said:
I'm going to keep this in mind. If my kid god forbid ever comes home with a grade that isn't up to my standards, I'm just going to boo him. I can't wait. :rolleyes:

I'm convinced you're just missing the point on purpose and being overly literal. There are many ways for parents to show they are disappointed in their children. There's only one way for a crowd of 60,000 to show they are disappointed in their team's performance. That's booing.

Equating booing with "turning on the team" is an immature way to view the situation. I'm glad players usually don't feel that way and understand they are capable of better, and the fans know it and actually care how they perform.

Cheering the team 100% of the time no matter how horrible they play is ridiculous.

NEM said:
You wont boo him, but you will scold him, and tell him to do better, or else...right?

Whats the difference here? Booing does the same thing, it is scolding.
Yeah, but what does booing tell the team? Sure, everyone claims it was directed towards the playcalling but I heard BOOOOOO!!!! Not BOOO PLAYCALLING BOOOOO!!!! Continue to boo though and I'll just continue to be embarrassed by the fans of my own team and other teams will continue to laugh at the "classiest" fans in the NFL. That's the part that kills me the most is that those fans make us all look like idiots on national tv.

Kingasaurus said:
I'm convinced you're just missing the point on purpose and being overly literal. There are many ways for parents to show they are disappointed in their children. There's only one way for a crowd of 60,000 to show they are disappointed in their team's performance. That's booing.

Equating booing with "turning on the team" is an immature way to view the situation. I'm glad players usually don't feel that way and understand they are capable of better, and the fans know it and actually care how they perform.

Cheering the team 100% of the time no matter how horrible they play is ridiculous.

Actually, it's pretty simple. If you're not happy with the way things are going, you're silent. Drink a beer, eat a hot dog. When things start going well, cheer. Yes, most other NFL fans do this although it's a concept that is lost in New England. The cheering part that is.

Last edited:
Alk said:
Yeah, but what does booing tell the team?

It tells them you know what they're capable of and expect better. What's so hard to understand about this?

If a perennially terrible team throws out stinker after stinker, eventually fans stop booing. That's because they stop caring and stop even showing up to the stadium.

When a really good team plays uncharacteristically bad, a capacity crowd that CARES about the team will let them hear it. I constantly hear nonsensical statements like "loyal fans don't boo their own players". I've never heard something so silly in my whole life. The worst thing for a team isn't booing. It's indifference. That's what consistently bad teams get. Empty stadiums.

Bella*chick said:
The only way???

It actually teaches a dog to crap where you don't find it.

If you do own dogs, I highly suggest you start looking under your furniture.:rolleyes:
:rofl:

I use to be old school about that too. But, I did some reading and found that it's the worst that you can do. If you catch them in the act or just after the act, you can yell at them but then take them out where they do their business, Never rub their noses in it. Yes, they will just find another spot or you won't like the smell of their breath.:nono:

Back to booing. I didn't like it last year when the fans booed. They sounded like a bunch of spoiled children.

Yesterday I thought that when they booed and what they were booing was OK.

Alk said:
Actually, it's pretty simple. If you're not happy with the way things are going, you're silent. Drink a beer, eat a hot dog. When things start going well, cheer. Yes, most other NFL fans do this although it's a concept that is lost in New England. The cheering part that is.

Sorry. Being silent sends the message that you don't care that they've played like crap. Not just made a few mistakes, but played like crap. And it's worse when a very good team plays badly, and that's what we have here. Maybe you can talk yourself into the idea that silence in those situations equates with "passion", but I'm not buying it. If a player can't handle fans being disappointed and hearing about it, he needs to find another line of work.

Alk said:
I was actually thinking about starting this same thread. I heard that at halftime and was completely appalled. The Patriots crowds are absolute crap anyway so I guess it comes as no surprise that some of the morons would turn on their own team. I guess with their beloved Sox well out of the playoff picture, they can divert their total negative energy on the Patriots. My only question is how stupid do those clowns feel this morning?

Your opinion in absolute crap. Spoken like someone who has never been.
I myself do not boo but don't blame those that do.
Being a fan watching a game is an emotional rollercoaster, your teams scores or makes a big play on D you stand up and cheer, why is that hmm you get excited or are happy an emotional response, your team comes out and plays flat and un-inspired you get frustrated hmm another emotional response thus some people boo.
Have you ever been sitting in your living room watching a game and cheer a good play ar yell at your tv over a bad call or coaching move, why they can't hear you oh yeah emotion.
booing or cheering shows your into the game one way or the other.
The idea New England fans enjoy being negative is absolute garbage perpetuated by hacks like Dan "shank" Shaunessy to sell his stupid books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back