PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bolt fans confident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talent is there, but they always seem to underperform. That 2006 playoff game is a microcosm of the chargers for the last decade. The posters seem to be putting a lot of stock in Henne posting 400+ yard (regardless of the fact half of them were when the Fish were down 2+ scores) and how we did against them last year, which happened in the aftermath of Moss leaving and our offensive rough patch of last season.

And apparently Bob Sanders covering Welker is their ace in the hole :eek:

I'm not factoring Henne into the equation. SD is a very good football team and should be respected.

Seems like we're often picked to win the SB lately and we haven't won a playoff game in several years. This season is this season. We differ on our thought about SD. I think they're a playoff caliber team.

Maybe because we have a top 3 coach of all time, as well a top 3 QB of all time, and we're recognized to be a great organization, and people know that we knoe how to win, unlike San Diego. Saying Norv Turner may become one of the greatest coaches of all time is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, mainly because he can't even be considered a good coach today. Their QB is talented and a yardage machine but it is yet to be seen if he can win it all.

I see the reasons why people pick us to win it all. San Diego... not really.

Nothing is wrong with Norv Turner. Take away the fact he coached for the 2 worst owners in sports in Al davis and Dan snyder and his career looks great. If he does get a ring this year in SD then you have to talk about him as one of the greatest coordinators and coaches of all time. The guy that turned aikman into a HOFer. The Guy that took Rivers to an elite level and brought the Chargers a championship. One of the best play callers of all time. Just 1 super bowl win away from that being true....
Really?

Because the last time I checked, Snyder bought the Redskins before the 1999 season and Turner was the coach from 1994-2000. From 1994-1998 he had an excellent record of 32-47-1. Snyder is a dip#$@ owner and one of the worst owners in sports, but you can't blame him for Turner's record. If anything he brought in Stephen Davis and Brad Johnson who took them to the playoffs.

That being said, the Chargers will keep it competitive with the Pats this weekend and they have a chance to win. But if they do so, it will be because Phil Rivers is a gamer and has the ability to overcome the play-calling of Turner that alot of your fellow Charger fans chastise him for. They had an excellent offense and defense statistically last year, but that doesn't mean they are a lock to roll over anyone. But it does mean that they have a solid chance to compete for the win against any given team.

Last edited:
Its all well and good to call fans on a teams message board deluded, and I agree, many comments on our board are utterly absurd.

But so are some on here. People suggesting this will be less of a test than the Miami? Saying that Henne putting up huge numbers means nothing because they were losing? Come on now, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if we get blown out in this one, but I would guess that this will be very close.

I honestly think whoever wins this one wins it on a couple of good plays, a turnover or a even just a good defensive series late on. I look no further than last years game to prove this. We lost. But I don't think I've ever seen such a ridiculous performance in my life. Moving the ball at will, holding one of the best QBs of all time to less than 200 yards, and still only losing when a last second FG came off the upright. Now I know the Pats offense won't have that kind of an off day again, which is why I'm worried. However I also know we won't put the ball on the turf twice without being touched again.

I give the edge to NE here because you are at home. But I think we will at least make things difficult, and who knows what could happen. If our D plays like it did last week, holding an admittedly declining McNabb to 39 yards and the best runner in the game to under 100, we have a good chance. But then I'm under no illusions, the difference between the passing offense of NE and the Vikings is night and day.

Will be a one score thriller in my opinion, looking forward to it.

Its all well and good to call fans on a teams message board deluded, and I agree, many comments on our board are utterly absurd.

But so are some on here. People suggesting this will be less of a test than the Miami? Saying that Henne putting up huge numbers means nothing because they were losing? Come on now, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if we get blown out in this one, but I would guess that this will be very close.

I honestly think whoever wins this one wins it on a couple of good plays, a turnover or a even just a good defensive series late on. I look no further than last years game to prove this. We lost. But I don't think I've ever seen such a ridiculous performance in my life. Moving the ball at will, holding one of the best QBs of all time to less than 200 yards, and still only losing when a last second FG came off the upright. Now I know the Pats offense won't have that kind of an off day again, which is why I'm worried. However I also know we won't put the ball on the turf twice without being touched again.

I give the edge to NE here because you are at home. But I think we will at least make things difficult, and who knows what could happen. If our D plays like it did last week, holding an admittedly declining McNabb to 39 yards and the best runner in the game to under 100, we have a good chance. But then I'm under no illusions, the difference between the passing offense of NE and the Vikings is night and day.

Personally, I agree that it'll be close and a pretty back and forth game. I think TE match ups will be key because you guys have one of the best and we have a couple of good young ones and both create a lot of match-up problems.

I agree, and i posted in another thread that SD Always plays the Pats tough. While i think the pats will win i don't see any kind of blow out.

Could be close, however, it is a home game against a lesser defense than what we faced in Miami.

......and it is missing it's best DLineman.

......and the fill-in kicker can't reach the endzone

......and your historically bad 2010 Special Teams already gave up a 103 yard TD return last week.

......and the guy who gave me the worst agita (Sproles) is in New Orleans now

I respect Philip Rivers and Gates and all that, and yes, it could be close.....but this could also be a 40+ point game for the Pats.

In summation either it's a close game or the Pats win a beatdown. The other option (SD Stomp) isn't happening.

Last edited:
Personally, I agree that it'll be close and a pretty back and forth game. I think TE match ups will be key because you guys have one of the best and we have a couple of good young ones and both create a lot of match-up problems.

Agreed. We have had problems covering the TE in recent years, so the fact that you have 2 very good ones does really worry me. I wouldn't like to be either defensive coach this week, both teams have several huge threats on offense and I find it impossible to believe both teams won't come out division winners regardless of this game.

I can easily see this game being replayed in January to decide who represents the AFC in the Superbowl. But then I remember that I'm a Chargers fan and probably shouldn't get my hopes up. :rolleyes:

Agreed. We have had problems covering the TE in recent years, so the fact that you have 2 very good ones does really worry me. I wouldn't like to be either defensive coach this week, both teams have several huge threats on offense and I find it impossible to believe both teams won't come out division winners regardless of this game.

I can easily see this game being replayed in January to decide who represents the AFC in the Superbowl. But then I remember that I'm a Chargers fan and probably shouldn't get my hopes up. :rolleyes:

Could easily be the case, especially with how the Steelers were manhandled by the Ravens and the Colts don't look to be competing this year. It's your team and you gotta keep the faith. Any Patriots fan who followed the team prior to 2001 knows what it's like to have high hopes crushed.

Could be close, however, it is a home game against a lesser defense than what we faced in Miami.

......and it is missing it's best DLineman.

......and the fill-in kicker can't reach the endzone

......and your historically bad 2010 Special Teams already gave up a 103 yard TD return last week.

......and the guy who gave me the worst agita (Sproles) is in New Orleans now

I respect Philip Rivers and Gates and all that, and yes it, it could be close.....but this could also be a 40+ point game for the Pats.

In summation either it's a close game of the Pats win a beatdown. The other option (SD Stomp) isn't happening.

I don't agree that our defense is worse than Miami's, but yes the Pats being at home is big. I'd feel much more confident if it was in SD.

Castillo has been overrated and overpaid for years and whilst you will always miss a starter, we have at least one D lineman certainly better than him.

Agree, our back up kicker signed this week is funnily enough the same guy who missed against you last year when Kaeding was out. Hopefully our coaching staff see sense and put our punter on kick off duty, who kicked 2/3 touchbacks last week.

Yep, our special teams still worry the heck out of me on every play.

I don't think theres a chance on this earth that you win this game by 40 points, but yes, I also think there is no chance we win it by a few scores.

But so are some on here. People suggesting this will be less of a test than the Miami? Saying that Henne putting up huge numbers means nothing because they were losing?
I am among many who were more concerned going into Miami than I am hosting the Chargers.

As far as junk yardage, it certainly isn't absurd. Not sure how you can watch more than one season on football and not realize that when a team is up by more than 14 points in the fourth quarter, time is their ally.

Teams up by that much often run the ball steadily to work the clock, not worrying about punting if they get a first down or two.

Teams up by that much play a defense that protects the sidelines and against a quick strike for big yards. The middle of the field 10-20 yards is open for the losing team to complete passes. Each short pass completed is a victory for the team that is up.

Henne played very very good Monday night, and he is going to be better than he was last year at that rate. But if the score was close all game, he would not have all those garbage-time yards.

I've always liked Rivers play, but he isn't Brady. Chargers can certainly win this one, but the Chargers barely beat a dysfunctional team last week and they do not play well on the East coast. Pats dominated a decent team away last week and they play MUCH better at home.

Any given Sunday is your best shot, but: The race is not always to the swift nor the contest to the strong, but that's the way to lay your bet.

Last edited:

This will be a double digit win for the Patriots.

I am among many who were more concerned going into Miami than I am hosting the Chargers.

As far as junk yardage, it certainly isn't absurd. Not sure how you can watch more than one season on football and not realize that when a team is up by more than 14 points in the fourth quarter, time is their ally.

Teams up by that much often run the ball steadily to work the clock, not worrying about punting if they get a first down or two.

Teams up by that much play a defense that protects the sidelines and against a quick strike for big yards. The middle of the field 10-20 yards is open for the losing team to complete passes. Each short pass completed is a victory for the team that is up.

Henne played very very good Monday night, and he is going to be better than he was last year at that rate. But if the score was close all game, he would not have all those garbage-time yards.

I've always liked Rivers play, but he isn't Brady. Chargers can certainly win this one, but the Chargers barely beat a dysfunctional team last week and they do not play well on the East coast. Pats dominated a decent team away last week and they play MUCH better at home.

Any given Sunday is your best shot, but: The race is not always to the swift nor the contest to the strong, but that's the way to lay your bet.

Valid points, You are right but you can surely see how Chad Henne passing for over 400 yards gives me confidence. I saw the game, I know that the Pats pass D is the teams biggest weakness, which bodes well for the Bolts.

The game against the Vikings wasn't as close as the score suggests. I won't spend time trying to convince you that this is true, but you shouldn't make any kind of prediction on that score alone.

I think we agree that the Chargers have a good chance here, a bigger chance than many give us credit for, but we will see on Sunday. If you are right, and we lose this by a few scores and I will be the first to acknowledge that I was wrong. But I think it will be close. If I was a betting man I'd go for NE by a score.

I could see a one score game is the Pats come out a little flat and let SD hang around. I could just as easily see us wining going away. We always play well at home and you struggle coming this far east (at least traditionally). You play us much stronger in your house, so I'm glad this game is in NE.

Valid points, You are right but you can surely see how Chad Henne passing for over 400 yards gives me confidence. I saw the game, I know that the Pats pass D is the teams biggest weakness, which bodes well for the Bolts.

The game against the Vikings wasn't as close as the score suggests. I won't spend time trying to convince you that this is true, but you shouldn't make any kind of prediction on that score alone.

I think we agree that the Chargers have a good chance here, a bigger chance than many give us credit for, but we will see on Sunday. If you are right, and we lose this by a few scores and I will be the first to acknowledge that I was wrong. But I think it will be close. If I was a betting man I'd go for NE by a score.

I'd be carefully putting to much stock in the Miami game. Outside of of years that we end up being a dominant team, we (Brady in particular) traditionally struggle mightily in Miami. Miami generally has a what is considered a very good defense, ranked better them SD factoring in SOS (you guys play in a terrible division). Plus it's a divisional game and most years (even in years we are real good, we seem to split the series with Miami and the Jets). You know how funny divisional games can be.

Almost half of Henne's yards came in the last 7 minutes when 1) we were in prevent mode, and 2) Our D was pretty gassed (it was very hot and humid for that game). Also, we were very rough on Henne to. He paid for his 400+ night with 20 hits, sacks, hurries. Miami has a BETTER oline then SD. Your oline is fairly weak. It could be a long night for Rivers if our pass rush is on.

Like I said.... I'm not one that will put this in the "easy win" category, but I certainly considered the opening in Miami a tougher test when looking at the schedule. We'll see what SD shows up. It will be a fun game.

Last edited:
Henne's numbers aren't irrelevant, but the rationale that Rivers will put up as much if not more based on the Henne theory is ridiculous. Prevent defense has been known to pad the stats, and it certainly did with Henne. And, to be honest, our defensive gameplan will look much different against the Bolts. No way do we dare Phillip Rivers to beat us the way we dared Chad Henne. Contrary to the insider article in that thread, Brandon Spikes will not be our answer to Antonio Gates.

I will say that Jackson and Gates scare me to death. Ellis Hobbs are Deltha O'Neal are long gone, but I can see VJax being an issue. Before Monday, McCourty had been solid against the top echelon wideouts.

Last edited:
You just gave the reason. They have the same players as they did last year when they didn't make the playoffs. Very hard to be a superbowl contenter when you don't make the playoffs.

The reason they didn't make the playoffs is because their special teams was historically bad, losing several games for them.

Of course, it remains to be seen if that trend continues. It didn't look all that great in the first game, but they only need to be average for SD to win the division with ease.

On O and D they are easily in the top 5 in the NFL in both categories. They just need their STs not to choke away games to be a 12-13 win team.

I don't agree that our defense is worse than Miami's, but yes the Pats being at home is big. I'd feel much more confident if it was in SD.

Castillo has been overrated and overpaid for years and whilst you will always miss a starter, we have at least one D lineman certainly better than him.

Agree, our back up kicker signed this week is funnily enough the same guy who missed against you last year when Kaeding was out. Hopefully our coaching staff see sense and put our punter on kick off duty, who kicked 2/3 touchbacks last week.

Yep, our special teams still worry the heck out of me on every play.

I don't think theres a chance on this earth that you win this game by 40 points, but yes, I also think there is no chance we win it by a few scores.

I never said the Pats would win by 40 points. I wrote that the Pats could put up 40 or more points.

they must smoke alot of weed in Southern CaL.....

:violent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back