PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden on Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured that when Bodden signed an one year deal, it had a lot to do with his choice. If he rebounds his career this season, he is set to make a killing next offseason with no salary cap whether it is with the Pats or someone else.

ps : Is there anyone out there who would be comparable to Bodden ? For instance, would he be similar in production (maybe not style of play) as Tyrone Poole in his better years or could we expect more ? I am not too familiar with Bodden other than the 2 or 3 posts about him...
I'm going to get in trouble for this but in terms of playmaking, he has flashed Law/Samuel ability. In his year with Romeo he had 6 INT; that would tie Law and Samuel for their second best years, they've each had a 10 INT year and their next best is 6. Bodden hasn't shown he can do it in big games but he's ****y (good for a CB) and has shown the ability. If we can get some pass rush I think he can be the 3rd best playmaking (read : INT) CB since Belichick got here behind Law and Samuel and being closer to those two that you might think.

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and chip along with it in his desire to prove himself.

I like this signing even more after hearing that he wanted to sign long term here.

Great info...thanks for posting it.

Can anyone post a transcript of Bodden's interview on Sirius?

Bodden has experience in the Patriots defense. Romeo Crennel used the same defense at New England and at Cleveland. I already know that Bodden will be a playmaker on this team!! I smell a Superbowl :D

I saw Bodden play in a game against the Bengals a few years ago. He's really very talented. Looked better in coverage than he did tackling though. But between him and Deltha O'Neal, there's no comparison. And he's still a young guy.

Remember that Detroit traded Shaun Rogers for this guy. He was really considered an up-and-coming player before he got to Detroit. At worst he's a much better third corner than the guys we threw out there last year early on -- going from Hobbs/O'Neal/Lewis Sanders to Springs/Hobbs/Bodden is a huge upgrade.

Wish it had been a longer term contract

Either he will be good or he will suck.

If he sucks we wasted our money.

If he is good, he will command more money that we will pay and he will be gone.

Why not a contract with a big second year in case he is really good?

We need him to be good THIS year imo, anything beyond that is a bonus. If we win it all Bodden will either be back or he'll be gone. We'll see what shakes out but meanwhile this is awesome news.

I'm so psyched for this year I can't stand it, I'm serious. Bodden's another piece to the puzzle and he makes the Springs signing even better.

Then there's the draft.

Put me on record- this team plans to rock and roll this year. :D

I'm going to get in trouble for this but in terms of playmaking, he has flashed Law/Samuel ability. In his year with Romeo he had 6 INT; that would tie Law and Samuel for their second best years, they've each had a 10 INT year and their next best is 6. Bodden hasn't shown he can do it in big games but he's ****y (good for a CB) and has shown the ability. If we can get some pass rush I think he can be the 3rd best playmaking (read : INT) CB since Belichick got here behind Law and Samuel and being closer to those two that you might think.

Hmmm... Like other posters, I do like the fact he's on a prove-it deal.
#1 - it's easy on the cap
#2 - it's motivation
#3 - it's NOT a waste... if he outplays his salary it can only be good.

I'd be skeptical about Law comparisons. Like I said, I have little to go on, but I remember Law in the snow beating Manning on several occasions... Bodden gonna do that ?

I'd be skeptical about Law comparisons. Like I said, I have little to go on, but I remember Law in the snow beating Manning on several occasions... Bodden gonna do that ?
I wasn't really trying to compare him to Law, just pointing out that Law only had one season with more INT than Bodden had in 2007. You are 100% correct that doing it in Cleveland it VERY different from doing it in a playoff game; but there is significant reason for hope with him.

Let us not forget that this kid has had to "prove it" his whole career, and hasn't done half bad. I think he thrives off of challenge. He entered the league undrafted and worked his way up to Cleveland's #1 DB. Just a season ago he was traded for Shaun Rogers (and he's no chump).

Ok. I hear what everyone is saying... but how do we explain the contracts for Eugene Wilson ([email protected]) or Foxworth (is it 4@28 ?) and then we get this guy (who should be in his prime) for the minimum ? Yes, he is looking for a huge payday, but would he refuse Eugene Wilson money ?

It just sounds weird - but I know BB's found some cheap deals and turned them into gold before (is that Earthwind Moreland I see out there ?).

Ok. I hear what everyone is saying... but how do we explain the contracts for Eugene Wilson ([email protected]) or Foxworth (is it 4@28 ?) and then we get this guy (who should be in his prime) for the minimum ? Yes, he is looking for a huge payday, but would he refuse Eugene Wilson money ?

It just sounds weird - but I know BB's found some cheap deals and turned them into gold before (is that Earthwind Moreland I see out there ?).

Rob sums it up pretty well in his post.

I figured that when Bodden signed an one year deal, it had a lot to do with his choice. If he rebounds his career this season, he is set to make a killing next offseason with no salary cap whether it is with the Pats or someone else.

They likely couldnt agree to terms, so bodden chose to sign a one year "prove deal", with the hopes of cashing in big next season. I have no beef with that. The Pats wont make the Asante mistake twice. If Bodden plays at a very high level this season, im guessing they will lock him up before he hits the market.

we finally have some tall corners that are hopefully good

Rob sums it up pretty well in his post.

They likely couldnt agree to terms, so bodden chose to sign a one year "prove deal", with the hopes of cashing in big next season. I have no beef with that. The Pats wont make the Asante mistake twice. If Bodden plays at a very high level this season, im guessing they will lock him up before he hits the market.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
you call asante a 'mistake', but how does he fit on this team right now at the money he's making?
where's the precedent for bb making a corner top 3 in salary?

they've already got 2 young corners in the pipe, and probably draft another this year.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
you call asante a 'mistake', but how does he fit on this team right now at the money he's making?
where's the precedent for bb making a corner top 3 in salary?

they've already got 2 young corners in the pipe, and probably draft another this year.

I'd tend to agree here... BB seems to be willing to go a year of big money (Asante, Law) but not long-term. I understand Bodden looking for big bucks after what he hopes will be a solid year in NE. But I think Foxworth money is quite impressive... is he really looking for more ? And if he's borderline Asante (as mentionned, though I did read the poster's warning that he was making the comparison with certain reservations) it's seems he'd a attractive on the market.

Don't get me wrong : I am ALL for the signing. He's young, he's played in a similar system, he's mega-cheap... I'm just trying to get the angle. No way that you play a game as risky as football for a 1-year minimum contract if someone is offering 3 at 11 million - what E.Wilson is getting... Something just doesn't sound right : either he's not as promising as some hope or he might be a bit overrated, or his agent likes to play chicken. I might be naive, but playmakers get bucks.

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree here... BB seems to be willing to go a year of big money (Asante, Law) but not long-term. I understand Bodden looking for big bucks after what he hopes will be a solid year in NE. But I think Foxworth money is quite impressive... is he really looking for more ? And if he's borderline Asante (as mentionned, though I did read the poster's warning that he was making the comparison with certain reservations) it's seems he'd a attractive on the market.

Don't get me wrong : I am ALL for the signing. He's young, he's played in a similar system, he's mega-cheap... I'm just trying to get the angle. No way that you play a game as risky as football for a 1-year minimum contract if someone is offering 3 at 11 million - what E.Wilson is getting... Something just doesn't sound right : either he's not as promising as some hope or he might be a bit overrated, or his agent likes to play chicken. I might be naive, but playmakers get bucks.

Surely I was as shocked as the next guy that he didn't get Foxworthy money. I'm also shocked that he is playing for the vet min but make no mistake. There were alot of us that pretty much agreed when he came in on the opening weekend of free agency that he would be a good Patriot. A Patriot that fit "our" defense. Not a cb that fit in Dallas or Tampa.

I think he figures that he could make more money playing for a crappy team, but he recognizes that the defense in which he previously excelled (Crennel's) indicates that he'll be good here. He also probably recognizes that it's *extremely* likely that he'll have a great year under Belichick, and that once he does that, he'll be a top-tier free agent CB coming off a huge year in an uncapped market.

You don't sign a long-term contract if you're convinced that your value is the lowest it's going to get. Signing a contract is selling your services, and the same rules apply here as with everything else- sell high.

I think you would if you just came off a 16 loss season, had a chance to go to the current superbowl favorite, and stood some kind of chance of a 50 mil payday the following year, assuming you thought you could produce.
he could also probably carry some kind of insurance, if he was worried about it --- he's got money in the bank for the premiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft