PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday coach firing thread

Wait wait wait wait wait, Chud had a 4 year contract?! dude is going to make millions on top of whatever college team gives him a contract next year.

Apparently it was in the 3.something million a year range. insane, hes looking at 12 millionish for the remaining years.

Tiquan Underwood quoted as saying "We have better talent than our 4-12 record. We as players have to take responsibility..." for Greg Schiano getting the axe. Uh, Tiquan, if you are correct, maybe that's why he got canned. Or maybe the Buccaneers sucked which is why the owner also fired the GM.

Well, Dominic was stupid enough to get punked by a couple of high school kids with a cell phone...

wow, schiano too. i thought he sorta turned it around.

The Lions job would be very attractive if the coach wasn't stuck with Bledsoe-lite.

Why is the Raiders coach still employed?

schwartz gone
133853847035.jpg

I'm a little surprised by Schiano. I thought they were turning it around a bit.

I think McDaniels would only leave for a sure thing, like the Texans. Detroit has long-term disaster written all over it with Stafford at QB.

I don't think he will be for long.

EDIT - Also waiting news on Philbin and Munchak.

WHO'S NEXT

The_Executioner_by_keepinitreel78.jpg

Even without today's firings, it's not too difficult to figure out who would be likely to be fired; just look at an inverse order of the final league-wide standings (i.e., the 2014 draft order).

• 2-14 Texans -- Gary Kubiak fired after winning 10 fewer games than in 2012

• 3-13 Redskins - Mike Shanahan fired after winning 7 fewer games than '12

• 4-12 Bucs ---- Greg Schiano fired after going 11-22 in 2 seasons

• 4-12 Browns -- Rob Chudzinski fired after just one season

• 4-12 Falcons - Mike Smith ??? went from 13-3, NFCCG to 4-12; probably safe

• 4-12 Jaguars - Gus Bradley ??? should be safe; had nothing to work with

• 4-12 Raiders - Dennis Allen ??? should be safe considering salary cap dumping and nothing to work with - but this is the Raiders

• 5-10-1 Vikings - Leslie Frazier fired; playoffs to 5 wins; defensive guru but team led league in points allowed

• 6-10 Bills - Doug Marrone - should be safe for a 2nd season

• 7-9 Rams - Jeff Fisher is safe for another season, with Bradford's injury as an excuse

• 7-9 Titans - Mike Munchak - probably out after disappointing season and with new owners

• 7-9 Lions - Jim Schwartz fired after going 1-6 to finish season, and 2nd in league with 34 turnovers

• 7-9 Giants - Tom Coughlin probably gets a pass thanks to two SB victories, but Giants have now missed the post-season four times in last five years and led league in turnovers; next year he needs to make the playoffs

• 8-8 Teams - Joe Philbin in Miami and Jason Garrett in Dallas are probably gone. With the Jets missing the playoffs for the third straight year Ryan needs to go to the post-season in 2014 to keep his job.

Last edited:

In his defense this was a complete rebuilding year. For the first time in forever Oakland came up with a long term plan, understanding that they had a horrible salary cap situation, and needed to look further than the current season. The Raiders had more than $56 million in dead cap money for the 2013 season; it's impossible for any team to be competitive in that situation.

For that reason alone Allen deserves a chance to return, but hey - even though Al is gone, it's still the Davis family that runs things - so it is certainly possible that they'll give him the boot.

Last edited:
What about Jason Garrett? I wonder what the Cowboys will do.

I'm a little surprised by Schiano. I thought they were turning it around a bit.

I think McDaniels would only leave for a sure thing, like the Texans. Detroit has long-term disaster written all over it with Stafford at QB.

I don't think he will be for long.

EDIT - Also waiting news on Philbin and Munchak.

The Texans are far from a sure thing. They have several good players but overall have a severe lack of talent and depth, i.e OL, DL, LBs, DBs, QB. They didn't go 2-14 by accident (and should have been 0-16). They will need a major rebuilding.

Putting Belichick's longevity in perspective - espnBoston - Field Yates

To further illustrate both Belichick's amazing run and the rampant turnover among head coaches, consider this: since Belichick was hired in 2000, there have 113 different men to serve as head coaches.

That number could balloon in the coming days, as other head coaching changes may take place around the league.

The stability and consistency of Belichick is another element to the team's success that should not be overlooked.​

There was a "report" down here in D.C. that Cowher was the front runner for the Redskins dumpster fire.

What about Jason Garrett? I wonder what the Cowboys will do.

Supposedly he is safe, which is surprising to me. I guess I will believe it when I see it.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reveals his off-season plans; Jason Garrett safe | Dallas Morning News

After Dallas lost a third consecutive regular-season finale Sunday to finish out of the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season, Jones stood in front of the Cowboys locker room and answered questions for 30 minutes.

The highlights:

* He’s not backing off his statement a few weeks ago that he plans to retain Jason Garrett as head coach.

* He’ll evaluate defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin’s first season while keeping in mind how decimated the defense was this year because of injuries.

* The Cowboys will have to be “creative” this off-season in adding players to help because of the team’s tight salary cap situation yet again.

* Jones won’t fire himself as general manager, and he’s confident better times are ahead.

The Cowboys made few personnel moves in the off-season but revamped the coaching staff with the hire of Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and by handing the play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan.

Jones said he was pleased with how the play-calling structure worked with Garrett not calling the plays. He said the 73-year-old Kiffin hadn’t told him that he’s considering retiring after the defense finished last in the NFL.​

Even without today's firings, it's not too difficult to figure out who would be likely to be fired; just look at an inverse order of the final league-wide standings (i.e., the 2014 draft order).

• 2-14 Texans -- Gary Kubiak fired after winning 10 fewer games than in 2012

• 3-13 Redskins - Mike Shanahan fired after winning 7 fewer games than '12

• 4-12 Bucs ---- Greg Schiano fired after going 11-22 in 2 seasons

• 4-12 Browns -- Rob Chudzinski fired after just one season

• 4-12 Falcons - Mike Smith ??? went from 13-3, NFCCG to 4-12; probably safe

• 4-12 Jaguars - Gus Bradley ??? should be safe; had nothing to work with

• 4-12 Raiders - Dennis Allen ??? should be safe considering salary cap dumping and nothing to work with - but this is the Raiders

• 5-10-1 Vikings - Leslie Frazier fired; playoffs to 5 wins; defensive guru but team led league in points allowed

• 6-10 Bills - Doug Marrone - should be safe for a 2nd season

• 7-9 Rams - Jeff Fisher is safe for a second season

• 7-9 Titans - Mike Munchak - probably out after disappointing season and with new owners

• 7-9 Lions - Jim Schwartz fired after going 1-6 to finish season, and 2nd in league with 34 turnovers

• 7-9 Giants - Tom Coughlin probably gets a pass thanks to two SB victories, but Giants have now missed the post-season four times in last five years and led league in turnovers; next year he needs to make the playoffs

• 8-8 Teams - Joe Philbin in Miami and Jason Garrett in Dallas are probably gone. With the Jets missing the playoffs for the third straight year Ryan needs to go to the post-season in 2014 to keep his job.

A few things: 1) Fisher just finished his second season with the Rams but he's probably safe for next year. 2) I think Munchak stays. He was dealt crap at QB and managed a 7-9 record. Plus he kept Pollard from possibly playing the Patriots this year! 3) I don't think Philbin or Garrett are going to be fired, though I think they should be.

The Texans are far from a sure thing. They have several good players but overall have a severe lack of talent and depth, i.e OL, DL, LBs, DBs, QB. They didn't go 2-14 by accident (and should have been 0-16). They will need a major rebuilding.

The Texans need a legit qb, and they're back in the playoff hunt.

Supposedly he is safe, which is surprising to me. I guess I will believe it when I see it.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reveals his off-season plans; Jason Garrett safe | Dallas Morning News

After Dallas lost a third consecutive regular-season finale Sunday to finish out of the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season, Jones stood in front of the Cowboys locker room and answered questions for 30 minutes.

The highlights:

* He’s not backing off his statement a few weeks ago that he plans to retain Jason Garrett as head coach.

* He’ll evaluate defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin’s first season while keeping in mind how decimated the defense was this year because of injuries.

* The Cowboys will have to be “creative” this off-season in adding players to help because of the team’s tight salary cap situation yet again.

* Jones won’t fire himself as general manager, and he’s confident better times are ahead.

The Cowboys made few personnel moves in the off-season but revamped the coaching staff with the hire of Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and by handing the play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan.

Jones said he was pleased with how the play-calling structure worked with Garrett not calling the plays. He said the 73-year-old Kiffin hadn’t told him that he’s considering retiring after the defense finished last in the NFL.​

Jason Garrett has to be the most pathetic HC in the NFL. Who on earth would want that job.

Thanks for the info. I agree Jerry can change his mind whenever he wants so I'm sure Garrett feels like can never really relax. Poor schmuck.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back