PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday coach firing thread

Washington is probably the least attractive destination for a HC, it'll be interesting to see who they get. RG3's ceiling is really the only positive, with the negatives being whether or not he gets healthy enough to reach it, terrible ownership, lack of draft picks, an awful defense that's losing its leader to retirement, no WRs, etc. etc.

I live down here in the Washington area, and for two years I have had to listen to more hype about RGIII than I have for any other Redskins player in the 40 years since I moved from New England. He had a great rookie season, because he was such a running threat. Defensive backs came up to stop the run option, leaving open targets for RGIII to hit. This season, his reduced running ability, together with defensive coordinators having time to scheme against the run option QBs, has meant that his first pass option is not usually open, as it was last year. He has not yet learned to go through his progressions, and if he ever will in the manner of a Brady or Manning is an open question.

As for Shanahan, I don't care for the man and think that he was always overrated as a coach, but when you work for a jock sniffer owner who socializes with your quarterback, you are in trouble. And, as a previous poster stated, paying a king's ransom in draft choices to move up to pick Griffin severely handicapped the franchise.

As long as Snyder owns the team, they will be losers and anyone who signs on to coach will regret it.

I live down here in the Washington area, and for two years I have had to listen to more hype about RGIII than I have for any other Redskins player in the 40 years since I moved from New England. He had a great rookie season, because he was such a running threat. Defensive backs came up to stop the run option, leaving open targets for RGIII to hit. This season, his reduced running ability, together with defensive coordinators having time to scheme against the run option QBs, has meant that his first pass option is not usually open, as it was last year. He has not yet learned to go through his progressions, and if he ever will in the manner of a Brady or Manning is an open question.

As for Shanahan, I don't care for the man and think that he was always overrated as a coach, but when you work for a jock sniffer owner who socializes with your quarterback, you are in trouble. And, as a previous poster stated, paying a king's ransom in draft choices to move up to pick Griffin severely handicapped the franchise.

As long as Snyder owns the team, they will be losers and anyone who signs on to coach will regret it.

From the beginning, I wasn't sold on RG3. He seemed to prove me wrong last year, however.

This year, as you said--things went back to what some thought they'd be.

It will be interesting to see if the Redskins end up trading Kirk Cousins or not. The pro would be that they are handicapped with draft choices and could potentially get a 2nd/3rd rounder if the right buyer comes along. The con of course would be that they'll be putting all of their eggs in one basket with RG3 for good, and they may not end up paying off as well as they had hoped.

Atlanta fired Pat Hill. Apparently, they had issues with OL play.

Any possible role for Schiano with the Patriots?
All sorts of respect both ways. They seem like two guys who would like to work together. Fans often wonder whether there are people with independent views who can disagree with the coach - might be one guy who can.

Keep an eye on that one. If JMD jumps and Daboll becomes OC he may be a candidate to join BB's staff.

ATLs problems were not Hill. Their O line is marginal. Jackson is in decline and they have very little speed in the passing game.

I'm not sure that was fair. They let Clabo get away, and then Baker was lost early. Hill didn't really have a lot to work with after that.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back