PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE is made of glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I guess the 'old-timers' know what the title refers to.

But I wonder if this thread was to attempt a serious discussion about BJGE. Funny if it should, considering that he is now the guy we are going to turn to.

All we need is a perennial " No way BJGE makes this roster" thread and we'll have come full circle....

Last edited:
All we need is a perennial " No way BJGE makes this roster" thread and we'll have come full circle....

Over the past 2 seasons the only possitive I saw in Maroney was. At some point he would be a good replacement for kevin Faulk's role on this team.
Of course LM would have to take a big hit on the type of $$$ he's used to making.
Moot point after all.

Over the past 2 seasons the only possitive I saw in Maroney was. At some point he would be a good replacement for kevin Faulk's role on this team.
Of course LM would have to take a big hit on the type of $$$ he's used to making.
Moot point after all.

You do realize that Kevin Faulk makes about 4 times what Laurence Maroney does, right?

You do realize that Kevin Faulk makes about 4 times what Laurence Maroney does, right?

Over the last 4 years? I think maroney has made more money.
What was his rookie signing bonus?

Prior to this year's 1 yr $2 million ( potential to be $3 million with incentives), Faulk's previous contract was a 6 years $15.5 million one per rotoworld while Maroney's rookie deal was 5 year $8.735 million

I have a feeling now that BJGE is no longer the perennial on the bubble dark horse 5th RB he's going to be the new favorite scapegoat if the Pats running game struggles.

Nah, most of the flak that Maroney got was from people who were mad that he was a first round pick and didn't understand what a sunk cost was. Won't be an issue with BJGE.

Last edited:

No, not even close.

Lawrence Maroney's deal was for 8.735 M over 5 years. He's played 4 of those, and with a salary around 800K this year, probably made just under 8M.

Kevin Faulk, on the other hand, made 4.25M last year, and will make 3M this year. I believe his previous deal was somewhere in the range of 6 years, 16M.

Nah, most of the flak that Maroney got was from people who were mad that he was a first round pick and didn't understand what a sunk cost was. Won't be an issue with BJGE.

nah, most of the people are going to be pissed off next year whne BJGE isn't " a feature back" and can't rush for 1400 yds.

BJGE is a downgrade. He's cheaper, and trading Maroney and getting something before he was gone is probably a good thing, but make no mistake, BJGE is a downgrade.

nah, most of the people are going to be pissed off next year whne BJGE isn't " a feature back" and can't rush for 1400 yds.

BJGE is a downgrade. He's cheaper, and trading Maroney and getting something before he was gone is probably a good thing, but make no mistake, BJGE is a downgrade.

Oh, totally. BJGE is a significant downgrade, but it was a calculated gamble by Belichick and one that I'm okay with. Who would be pissed off when BJGE isn't a feature back, though? I don't think anyone really expects him to be one, because he's not carrying around the first round label.

But that is the problem. Young children can't read the word "inexpensive" so according to PatsFanInVa we need to use the word "cheap" cause young children can read that word.

Well... yes. You've got me there I suppose. Sigh. I just have finally gotten my own children to understand the difference between "can" and "may". :singing:

The savings is almost zero. The cap savings for trading Maroney is $530K. Compensation for Green-Ellis is $477,280 (pesumably plus some incnetives). The maximum savings is under $53,000.

We call that "value" 'round these parts.

I thought it was funny as hell myself... anyway, why would Mods can the thread for an ironic title? It's not like the thread was titled [personal insult against another forum member] is a [word that young children can't read.] I just was not aware Mods are on the watch against irony.
Saying something dumb isn't ironic. It's just dumb.

Irony is cool when used by someone who understands it, not by someone who thinks irony is simply saying something that isn't true.

The savings is almost zero. The cap savings for trading Maroney is $530K. Compensation for Green-Ellis is $477,280 (pesumably plus some incnetives). The maximum savings is under $53,000.

Green-Ellis compensation presumably wasn't contingent on Maroney being traded. He was on the team either way. You'd have to compare Maroney's compensation to whoever takes the roster spot that he's vacated. The difference will be more, but still nothing huge because, as you noted, you don't save a ton by trading Maroney in the first place.

Last edited:
While you are technically correct,

1) as you say, the difference is still small

2) Since we are not keeping 5 running backs, my presumption is that Maroney was going to be traded to the highest bidder. The fact that we had 5 running backs on the roster against Cinci is somewhat irrelevant.

Of course, if Belichick signs another runnning back, we will have a better comparision, but the cost of another running abck won't be much less than $530K.

Besides comparing Maroney to his roster replacement is a flawed analysis. If we were to trade for linebacker who we paid $5,530,000 would the cost of trading Maroney be $5M? Of course not!

Green-Ellis compensation presumably wasn't contingent on Maroney being traded. He was on the team either way. You'd have to compare Maroney's compensation to whoever takes the roster spot that he's vacated. The difference will be more, but still nothing huge because, as you noted, you don't save a ton by trading Maroney in the first place.

Last edited:
Well... yes. You've got me there I suppose. Sigh. I just have finally gotten my own children to understand the difference between "can" and "may". :singing:

"Can" is what beans come in. "May" is the month after April.

While you are technically correct,

1) as you say, the difference is still small

2) Since we are not keeping 5 running backs, my presumption is that Maroney was going to be traded to the highest bidder. The fact that we had 5 running backs on the roster against Cinci is somewhat irrelevant.

Of course, if Belichick signs another runnning back, we will have a better comparision, but the cost of another running abck won't be much less than $530K.

Besides comparing Maroney to his roster replacement is a flawed analysis. If we were to trade for linebacker who we paid $5,530,000 would the cost of trading Maroney be $5M? Of course not!

No, but the overall savings would be -$5M, which is what I was under the impression we were talking about. Doesn't really matter either way, since we agree that saving money could not have been a significant reason for trading Maroney. The value that they received was pretty much entirely in the upgraded draft pick.

I also wouldn't be quite so sure that the Pats won't carry 5 RBs. I'm not counting on a long shot, but they've done it for the last 2 years so it's definitely possible. With BJGE being a gameday active, that opens up room for a new gameday inactive.

Last edited:
Oh, totally. BJGE is a significant downgrade, but it was a calculated gamble by Belichick and one that I'm okay with. Who would be pissed off when BJGE isn't a feature back, though? I don't think anyone really expects him to be one, because he's not carrying around the first round label.

BJGE isn't a downgrade from Maroney, that's why the stiff was traded. The hate still flows even though the argument has been settled.

I have a feeling now that BJGE is no longer the perennial on the bubble dark horse 5th RB he's going to be the new favorite scapegoat if the Pats running game struggles.

So you invent a premise to start a thread ... you need a life.

BJGE isn't a downgrade from Maroney, that's why the stiff was traded. The hate still flows even though the argument has been settled.

Bingo!
Value = Having a "Player" on the team. vs. Having a team member on the roster, that the coach won't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back