PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill vs new regime

vicspats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Serious question. Would anything have been different if Bill was still here, as far as roster building went during free agency? It 100% feels like Bills fingerprints all over this roster.

do you think BB as a coach would still be a player draw? If so, then maybe some of the swings and misses become hits... if not then no major differences... but most likely Onwenu would be gone - that was a little bit of an overpay... and its doubtful Dugger would have been tagged... no real reason to do so...

Last edited:
Doubt he would've resigned Onwenu to that extension. And he definitely wouldn't have offered 20 per for Calvin Ridley. I think the Pats resigned more players than they would have with Bill.
Not sure about Onwenu … he’s extremely versatile. Plus he towed the company line, a trait Bill rewarded. We didn’t get Ridley so what difference would that make ?

I know the obsession is extreme but FFS

I see small improvements but I feel the general disappointment, it's a bad fa market.

Okay, so if it is indeed a bad FA market - which I would concur - then the disappointment must be due to unrealistic expectations?

Apolgies, not trying to pick on you. But that does seem to be the sentiment of many on this forum.

BB paid Shaq Mason, He paid Mankins, he’s not afraid to pay a guard near top of the market.

Thuney got a ridiculous offer and had the Pats matched their two biggest cap hits would have been at guard… which wouldn’t have made sense.

BB paid Shaq Mason, He paid Mankins, he’s not afraid to pay a guard near top of the market.

Thuney got a ridiculous offer and had the Pats matched their two biggest cap hits would have been at guard… which wouldn’t have made sense.
First thoughts I had too. Some might point to “passing” on Thuney, but Mason was on the team at that time. Also don’t fault him for that decision as Bill did well finding IOL middle to later rounds, and UDFA in some cases. Could very much have seen him extending Onwenu.

No. Like 2023, the roster is exactly the same.

Screw this new regime, started with a 100 million in cap space and absolutely no improvement to the offense to speak of.
It’s definitely curious. I do agree with taking care of your own personal that have towed the company line and risen to the challenge. But missing on 1 or 2 guys from outside the organization that could be difference makers will probly bite them in the azz. I guess my gear to burn is vs Kraft. We shall see how this plays out

Okay, so if it is indeed a bad FA market - which I would concur - then the disappointment must be due to unrealistic expectations?

Apolgies, not trying to pick on you. But that does seem to be the sentiment of many on this forum.

"Bad FA market" seems a rationalization since the Patriots just weren't aggressive enough beyond some swings and misses. At least, so far.

Last edited:
There is still a lot of guys out there, let's see what they do in the next couple of weeks.

It was definitely a weak market, especially after the teams got so much extra space, and it’s got to be tougher to attract free agents than when they were winning. But I still think they can maximize their spending by getting out ahead on Barmore’s contract, and maybe extend Strange and Stevenson for a couple of years. And try to set themselves up as much as possible for next years free agency. I have no doubt that many will think I’m batshit crazy for saying that, and will say that Kraft will never let them spend, but I don’t believe Kraft is going to tie their hands and make it obvious to everyone that he isn’t willing to spend to win.

There is still a lot of guys out there, let's see what they do in the next couple of weeks.
A lot of guys? Defense maybe but WR is a dumpster fire. And besides Smith at tackle, mostly crap leftover.

Is it unrealistic to expect your team to try to improve its roster every year?

A lot of guys? Defense maybe but WR is a dumpster fire. And besides Smith at tackle, mostly crap leftover.
You guys upset we didn't overpay for Ridley? he's been unreliable and got a ton of guaranteed money. I'd would have liked to have him but with that contract Tenn is taking a chance, maybe it works out but the Pats did try to get him. Who else did they miss out on? Until we get back on track this isn't the most desirable place to play.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back