PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread needs to DIAF.

DIAF?

that's a new one to me

Die In A Fartstorm??????

Didn't read the whole article until today, have to say I agree.

But lets hold out hope against hope the defense can get to "average" to give #12 a shot at another title.

This isn't worthy of its own thread but ti seems somewhat appropriate here....

Is this 2002 all over again?

Think back to that heady season of 2002. Coming off their first Super Bowl victory, the Patriots were primed to make a run at repeating. They opened the season on a Monday night, crushing the Steelers 30-14 and then the Jets 44-7. Week 3 brought the Chiefs and exposed a flaw that would haunt the Pats that entire season. While the Patriots won the shootout 41-38 and Tom Brady threw for 410 yards, the Chiefs ran…and ran…and especially ran outside the tackles. They ran for 221 yards that day(6.5 ypc) and Priest Homes ran for 180 yards himself. Being the copycat league, teams watched the film and copied it. The Patriots lost their next four games to San Diego, Miami, Green Bay and Denver as teams ran. Ladanian ran for 217 ards and as a team the Chargers ran for 238 yds ( 7.0 ypc), and Ricky Williams ran for 105 and as a team the Dolphins ran for 137 (3.0) . Ahman Green racked up 136 yards and Clinton Portis tacked on 117. During the rest of that 2002, four other runners would gain 100 yards or close to it on the Patriots run defense, Anthony Thomas (99), Eddie George (101), Curtis Martin (106) and in a rematch Ricky Williams gained 185 yards. That year 9 runners gained 100 yards on the Pats defense compared to 4 the year before and one in 2003.

In 2002, the Patriots rush defense gave up 2198 yards on 467 carries, a 4.7 ypc, the highest of the Belichick era by .3 yards with the next highest being 4.4 in both 2007 and 2009.

What does this have to do with 2011? While the Pats passing defense was deficient ( to say the least) it was excused in the wins over Miami and San Diego. Everybody expected Phillip Rivers to put up huge numbers being the elite QB he is and maybe Chad Henne had turned the corner but when Ryan Fitzpatrick and Henne start throwing like Mad Bombers, it is time to face facts. Unless this team morphs into the 1976 Steelers who started out 1-4 and gave up 30+ points in two of the first three weeks but ended the season giving up 28 points in 9 games or the 2007 Giants who gave up 80 pts in their first two games and over 30 5 times that season, we Patriot fans are in for a long season.

Opponents’ passing yards per attempt are an astronomical 8.4 ypa when no other Belichick coached Pats team has given up more than 6.6 ypa. Is it the scheme? The players? The lack of a pass rush up front? Whatever it is, it needs to get fixed and fast or this season has the potential to get ugly, as ugly as 2002. The rushing defense problems of 2002 got fixed in 2003 when it dropped to 3.6 ypa and we know how that year turned out. Hopefully this year can get fixed and quickly and the rest of the league won't have th eopportunity to capitalize on what is this team’s Achilles heel.

Rant over.................

Last edited by a moderator:
I long for the good old days when we had defensive backfield players like Darius Butler who gave up only 20 yards per pass thrown their way.

You know who is to blame for this? Peyton Mannnig.

BB decided that with the NFL rules now you have to be an offensive team first otherwise teams like the Colts will just score too many points for you to win.

For all the fanboys out there, what you are witnessing today, is something we haven't seen here in 4 years. DEFENSE. Ryan Fitzpatrick, stinking up the joint after looking like Manning against the Pats and Chiefs. Very similar to Henne when he went up against an okay defense. Hey Mo Lewis, the Bengals DO have a better DEFENSE than the Pats, imagine that. I see Ryan Kerrigan and the Redskins are pitching another shut out. And Jason Babin with another key sack on 3rd down for the Eagles. Meanwhile Ras I Dowling, Haynesworth, Bodden, all Belichick dubious pet projects. OUT TODAY. Look for a great game from Campbell. That article right on and still looking good. Meanwhile the fanboys keep searching for one iota of something to back up their point.

But we all can cling to the fact that the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. We'll be saying that when Brady walks off the field in his last game.

I'm not a troll, not a Jets fan, just fed up that this team can't PLAY DEFENSE, and we all know why. THEY HAVE NO TALENT, NO HEALTH and NO TOUGHNESS. Blame the GM, oh that's the coach.

You know who is to blame for this? Peyton Mannnig.

BB decided that with the NFL rules now you have to be an offensive team first otherwise teams like the Colts will just score too many points for you to win.

One might almost come to the conclusion that having a good defense might prevent QBs from scoring a lot of points.

BB has actually drafted plenty of defensive players over the past several years, the problem is that most of them have just sucked.

For all the fanboys out there, what you are witnessing today, is something we haven't seen here in 4 years. DEFENSE. Ryan Fitzpatrick, stinking up the joint after looking like Manning against the Pats and Chiefs. Very similar to Henne when he went up against an okay defense. Hey Mo Lewis, the Bengals DO have a better DEFENSE than the Pats, imagine that. I see Ryan Kerrigan and the Redskins are pitching another shut out. And Jason Babin with another key sack on 3rd down for the Eagles. Meanwhile Ras I Dowling, Haynesworth, Bodden, all Belichick dubious pet projects. OUT TODAY. Look for a great game from Campbell. That article right on and still looking good. Meanwhile the fanboys keep searching for one iota of something to back up their point.

But we all can cling to the fact that the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. We'll be saying that when Brady walks off the field in his last game.

I'm not a troll, not a Jets fan, just fed up that this team can't PLAY DEFENSE, and we all know why. THEY HAVE NO TALENT, NO HEALTH and NO TOUGHNESS. Blame the GM, oh that's the coach.

1.) At this point last week, the Pats were up 21-0 and Fitzpatrick had two INTs. So exactly one week ago, Ryan Fitzpatrick was looking like crap vs. the Pats.

2.) Ryan Kerrigan was drafted before the Pats picked. Get over it. You have no idea if kerrigan fell one pick if the Pats would take him. You have no idea if the Pats knew the Redskins were trading up to get him. Besides, he is one player on the defense.

One might almost come to the conclusion that having a good defense might prevent QBs from scoring a lot of points.

BB has actually drafted plenty of defensive players over the past several years, the problem is that most of them have just sucked.

It's the curse of Manning.

Robo if you paid attention the article, which you didn't Washington TRADED UP TO GET #16. The Pats could have thrown the Vereen pick and moved up. They didn't, FYI, the Jets traded up to get Revis too. You don't have to sit there and take your pick, YOU CAN MOVE IT, its not a new thing.

Robo if you paid attention the article, which you didn't Washington TRADED UP TO GET #16. The Pats could have thrown the Vereen pick and moved up. They didn't, FYI, the Jets traded up to get Revis too. You don't have to sit there and take your pick, YOU CAN MOVE IT, its not a new thing.

AAAAAANNNNNDDDDD?!? Good for the Redskins. Doesn't mean that Belichick knew they were trying to trade up to get the guy? Stop acting like Belichick is clairvoyant and knew that Kerrigan was going to go at 16. He might have thought he would drop to 17. The Pats have done that to other teams before and it happens to every team.

Your rage is misplaced. If he knew Kerrigan was going to be taken several spots before he picked, that would be one thing. But he probably thought he would be available.

BTW, sackmaster Carlos Dunlap has zero sacks this season.

Well Jermaine Cunningham is absolutely awful. He doesn't get NEAR the QB is this the worst Patriots defense since 2002.

God forbid, this horrible defense has given up 13 points in three quarters.

Yep, fire the GM, HC, every defensive coach and cut or trade every player on defense.

It's obviously the only solution to this embarrassing onslaught.

the defense is still a problem. The Patriots will soon face MUCH better teams than the Raiders... and they will lose

I guess you mean offensive juggernaughts like the chiefs, broncos, dolphins and colts.

God forbid, this horrible defense has given up 13 points in three quarters.

Yep, fire the GM, HC, every defensive coach and cut or trade every player on defense.

It's obviously the only solution to this embarrassing onslaught.

You might want to wait a bit before popping the champagne, the Raider's offense kinda sucks, with a semi competent QB this is a MUCH closer game.

Waaaaayyyyy too many "blind" homers here on this board.....I expect homers...heck...its a Patriot board, count me in....but not to recognize the absolute suckitude of this defense is just flat out stupid......

Maybe they get better as the season goes on.....but I wouldn't count on it....

You might want to wait a bit before popping the champagne, the Raider's offense kinda sucks, with a semi competent QB this is a MUCH closer game.

I'm not anywhere close to "popping any champagne"; I readily agree and acknowledge that the Pats defense is not very good.

Just saying it's not quite as horrific as some would make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick