PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not just the defense but what about the offense?Yes i know they are scoring points left and right but this team has a weakness on offense and thats lack of production from the wrs on the outside.This team has failed on the draft from the likes of Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, and now maybe Taylor Price.Price cant even get on the damn field.He seems to play well in the pre-season.:rolleyes:The offense is not as complete.This team has no young wrs for the future.

Its called a two minute offense. The objective is to score before the half not run out the clock.

They were incompetent because the called a pass? A single pass?

Where do these extra possessions come from? Were there on side kicks that I didn't notice? Typically the ball transfers over to the other team after their possession so both teams have roughly the same amount of possessions. The only extra possession the Bills had in this game was the last one when the defense failed to stop them.

-You run a two-minute offense when you are LOSING. Not when you are winning by 2 TOUCHDOWNS.
Even so, they got to the Buf 37 yard line with 1:17 left in the half. At what point do start to whittle time off the clock to prevent a Buffalo possession? After you throw it the next time? Hell no throw it again Tommy. When you have a first down at the damn 13 yard line with 1:09 left? Hell no, throw it again Tommy...

That drive was an EPIC FAIL in strategic footbal and clock management.

-Yes, coming out throwing on 1st down to start the second half was incompetent play calling.

-The 'extra' possessions come from the fact that they don't care about controlling the ball, just scoring. As fast as possible.
This is the time of possession for each drive in the game -
5:15 td, 2:45 td, 0:33 punt, 2:20 punt, 1:32 td, 0:52 int
0:11 int, 4:43 fg, 4:07 punt, 1:44 int, 0:14 int, 6:57 td

The 6:57 drive for a td at the end of the game is their longest drive of the SEASON.

These short drives give opposing offenses more opportunities. It also keeps your defense on the field, tiring them out.

I think there needs to be a new SOP on the sideline.
If they are winning by 14 or more, the QB coach has to give the headset and play chart to the RB coach.

You don't realize how utterly stupid this post truly is.

There is no better example of why sites need intelligence standards to facilitate proper posting.

Since 2007, the standard NFL franchise has had 15 choices in the first three rounds. Based on the current draft philosophy, the following has happened:

On the team

Solder, Vereen, Ridley, Mallet, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker

Dowling, Cunningham,Spikes, McCourty, Brace, Chung, Mayo

Future first/second.

This is a success rate of over 100%

Based on history here are the success rates 1st-50%, 2nd-40%, 3rd- 30%

Classic dumb, very dumb. Ted Williams torso has more brains that the above post.

The raison d' etre of acquiring extra picks is for greater competition for a set number of slots. "Bust" has as big a zero meaning as a "bust" factor has for a company with ten open slots but decides to interview 30 vs 10 people for the jobs.

As LaCanfora pointed out preseason- claims on cut Patriots far exceeded all other teams. That is far more relavent and indicative indication of talent available for 53 player positions.

I simply don't get the point of fans infuriating themselves with completely stupid view points to attempt to prove nonsensical points that have zero bearing.

Ian, what's going on here?

Really, you think it is OK, that BB used the 21 pick in the draft to "replace" Rodney with Merriweather. Then he had to use the 34 pick in the draft to get Chung. Now three years and two epic playoff loses later, Merriweather is gone, Chung is hurt and we have tow undrafted free agents getting toasted. Chung seems to be a decent player, but he is no Ed Reed. Barrett is god awful and got literally run over last week.

BB used a second and fourth round picks to "shore up" his secondary in 2007. Wheatley and Whilite, then once those two couldn't play, he used a second round pick on Butler to replace Wheatley, then Butler couldn't play, so he had to turn around and use a first round pick on McCourty. That's 2 seconds, a 4th, and one first round pick, to get one starting CB.

Don't you think their could have been a more economical way to arrive at a starting CB?

How bout another WR..Let's see Jackson was a trade up into the top end of the second round, I really don't think that labeling him a BUST, is up for any discussion. So along comes TATE with a third round pick, red shirts a year, had some great KO returns, never caught on as a WR, they change the KO rules and he is gone. So BB then trades a few late round picks and gets Branch back and Chad Johnson (oops, I wish he had Chad Johnson), we have Chad Ochostinko. Branch should have never bet let to walk. Imagine that 2006 team with Branch instead of Reche??? Letting Branch wasted 3 years of Tom Brady, three years that they are not going to get back.

Now for the outright BUSTS:

These guys were all thrid round picks and never saw the field!!! No a single contribution at all! Really, that is what you look for in the thrid round?

Crable? again, no argument

O'Connell? plus a trader, nice waste of a third round pick

McKenzie: I don't think he ever even suited up.

Thomas, you are confusing the Thomas who has a Superbowl ring playing for the Saints, to the Thomas that BB didn't use and only got a late 6th round pick for when he gave up on him. Surely he has some talent, and surely it was not use here. Granted his penalty in Indy left a sour taste in everyone's mouth, but still another 3rd round pick that did nothing.

Now we are sitting on a bunch of second round players who are soon to be busts

Brace is a BUST, the only reason he looked any good in college was because he was beside Raji.

Cunningham seems to have disappeared after a rookie season where he "almost" got to the QB, but never actually made it there...

Spikes seems to have regressed, but I will hold out hope for him.

Vareen can't see the field. Mallett will most likely get traded, he is about the only pick that I actually like in the last draft. Dowling is hurt (gee what a suprise).

BB has hit a homerun in Gronkowski and Vollmer, but there are plenty of swings and misses between the two of them.

The jury is also still out on McCourty.Butler looked decent in his frst year then regressed.McCourty needs to start balling:cool:

The jury is also still out on McCourty.Butler looked decent in his frst year then regressed.McCourty needs to start balling:cool:

I'm not worried about McCourty right now.
My opinion- He knows he has NO HELP behind him, so he is playing everything safe. He would rather give up the 15 yd completion and make the tackle, than go for the pick and miss, giving up the 75 yd TD.

-You run a two-minute offense when you are LOSING. Not when you are winning by 2 TOUCHDOWNS.
Even so, they got to the Buf 37 yard line with 1:17 left in the half. At what point do start to whittle time off the clock to prevent a Buffalo possession? After you throw it the next time? Hell no throw it again Tommy. When you have a first down at the damn 13 yard line with 1:09 left? Hell no, throw it again Tommy...

That drive was an EPIC FAIL in strategic footbal and clock management.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone advocating to run out the clock at the end of the half even with a two TD lead, especially when you have one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game with one of the best two minute drill quarterbacks. Sorry...I disagree wholeheartedly and completely with your 'assessment'.

-Yes, coming out throwing on 1st down to start the second half was incompetent play calling.

I'm sorry but your declaration is not meaningful in any way shape or form. There no reasonable basis for saying that every play from that point on should have been a rush as opposed to a pass. So no matter if you think that they should have run more then passed in the second half, saying that a single pass is too much passing just makes no sense.

-The 'extra' possessions come from the fact that they don't care about controlling the ball, just scoring. As fast as possible.
This is the time of possession for each drive in the game -
5:15 td, 2:45 td, 0:33 punt, 2:20 punt, 1:32 td, 0:52 int
0:11 int, 4:43 fg, 4:07 punt, 1:44 int, 0:14 int, 6:57 td

The 6:57 drive for a td at the end of the game is their longest drive of the SEASON.

These short drives give opposing offenses more opportunities. It also keeps your defense on the field, tiring them out.

I've already addressed this in a previous post so I will just repost this:

The Patriots D has been on the field for 33 drives this year, only four other D units have faced less drives. And despite running the hurry up, the offense is in the middle of the league in time of possession. This idea that the offense isn't taking enough time off the clock is a giant fallacy with no basis. Running more plays in a given drive is the definition of clock control.

The real issue as far controlling the ball is that the defense can't give the ball over to the offense fast enough. They again are bottom of the league in 3rd down percentage, have let up the most fourth down conversions, have let up the most first downs out of anyone and are seventh in the league in defensive penalties.

I think there needs to be a new SOP on the sideline.
If they are winning by 14 or more, the QB coach has to give the headset and play chart to the RB coach.

Its two scores with over a half of football and you want to nerf the most effective offense in the league bay broadcasting what you want to do on each and every play? Stop.

especially when you have one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game
? They don't even have the best offense this year.

What is the over/under for games played by Cunningham, Dowling, Fat Albert and Brace. Do I hear 11 COMBINED?

Hayneswoth is such a waste this is Shaquille all over. Dowling has never been able to stay healthy since high school. NEVER. And you don't make arguments by bringing up injured players on other teams. Why was Dowling drafted how does he help the team. NFL players just don't miraculously get healthy. You want to take a risk on a guy in the 4th round fine. 33rd overall. Pathetic.

It amuses me when people treat football like its rocket science, or brain surgery, or fighting a 2-front war while your economy is in the toilet. Its freaking football.

With the exception of the kool-aid drinkers, the people on this board are smart, can read statistics & analyze trends, and have a solid understanding of how the game is played and coached.

I offer up this thread as Exhibit A to refute your argument.

:ugh:

This post makes me want to claw my own eyes out.
They haven't scored the most points so therefore they don't have the best offense at this point. Not sure what else to tell you.

They haven't scored the most points so therefore they don't have the best offense at this point. Not sure what else to tell you.

Great! Of course that isn't the claim I made and whether they are the best or second best offense this year is kind of irrelevant to the my point but otherwise thanks for the information!

No, they don't have the best offense of all time right now either.

No, they don't have the best offense of all time right now either.

Thank you once again for beating up the straw man. That is another claim I did not make.

They don't need to prove you wrong. There is no basis on which you can call Cunningham or Brace a bust. They could end up that way, certainly, but they aren't ATPIT.

They have not done anything to merit the investment the team has made on them. If they were 6th round picks then I would not call them busts so far. Pryor has done more than Brace has.

They have not done anything to merit the investment the team has made on them. If they were 6th round picks then I would not call them busts so far. Pryor has done more than Brace has.

I hope that you trade your own stocks, too. It would be funny to see you sell everytime you lost money in the first 2 days.

I hope that you trade your own stocks, too. It would be funny to see you sell everytime you lost money in the first 2 days.

Brace has done nothing to indicate that he's not going to suck. He was a bad investment to begin with.

If you buy into a company but then realize pretty early that it was a bad investment, do you get rid of it and minimize your lose, or take your chances, possibly lose all your money, and hope it turns around?

Brace has done nothing to indicate that he's not going to suck. He was a bad investment to begin with.

If you buy into a company but then realize pretty early that it was a bad investment, do you get rid of it and minimize your lose, or take your chances, possibly lose all your money, and hope it turns around?

If you buy into a company only to realize you made a bad investment, you are not a good investor in the first place.

If you buy into a company only to realize you made a bad investment, you are not a good investor in the first place...

...and Bill has made a lot of bad investments lately.

He has 3 weeks before the bye to convince me that they're not who I think they are.

what happens then?

murder?...mayhem??...long, obscene, rambling rants?...a sex change?

tell me...what happens in three weeks...I'm dying of curiosity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes