PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense has been crap but as long as we dont turn the ball over and get a few key stops a game we'll win most games. The only reason we arent 4-0 is some uncharacteristic turnovers last week. I don't know if it's good enough to make or win a Superbowl but just get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

Waaaaayyyyy too many "blind" homers here on this board.....I expect homers...heck...its a Patriot board, count me in....but not to recognize the absolute suckitude of this defense is just flat out stupid......

Maybe they get better as the season goes on.....but I wouldn't count on it....

It is only matched by the blindess of you chicken littles. The Pats held a team that score 69 points in the last two weeks to 19 points (really 13 points).

If you look around the league, a majority of the teams aren't playing defense right now. Six teams today scored 30 or more points while only two teams were held to two TDs or less (would have been three if the Pats didn't give up a garbage time TD).

You might want to wait a bit before popping the champagne, the Raider's offense kinda sucks, with a semi competent QB this is a MUCH closer game.

They scored 34 points against the Jets last week.

It is only matched by the blindess of you chicken littles. The Pats held a team that score 69 points in the last two weeks to 19 points (really 13 points).

If you look around the league, a majority of the teams aren't playing defense right now. Six teams today scored 30 or more points while only two teams were held to two TDs or less (would have been three if the Pats didn't give up a garbage time TD).
That garbage time drive took some of the gloss off an improved defensive performance today. Given the injuries that occurred, it was a reasonable performance.

They'll need to be better against the Jets next week.

Oh my god, I can't believe this. I got a winning lottery ticket and now I have to deal with all these taxes. On top of that I'm going to have to build a fence around my property to keep everyone out. There's all these people asking me for money, and somebody might trip and fall outside my house; now I'll have to up my insurance and pay more premiums. The hell with that, I'll have to sell the house and some realtor will get a bunch of commission off of me. Then I'll have to buy a new place in a gated community to keep all these people away; more realtor commissions, more community fees, more real estate taxes and more insurance.

Damn, winning really sucks. I wish I didn't win.

glass_half_full1.jpg

The thing that has annoyed me about the secondary the past few years is that often they are in position to make a play and just don't. How many times a game do we see passes completed and think "how?" because the defender was in position only to see on the replay that they don't get their hand up in time, or don't turn around in time. It's frustrating, and last year at least McCourty was making plays but he hasn't so far this year.

That said todays game would have been different if they actually called some of the ridiculous holding on Carter and Wilfork all game. Hell that should have been a safety on the last Oakland drive and we should have won 33-13.

Too many homers on this board.This is BB's defense.Lets see how much it improves from game to game.That jets game looks huge considering this team has a division loss already

The thing that has annoyed me about the secondary the past few years is that often they are in position to make a play and just don't. How many times a game do we see passes completed and think "how?" because the defender was in position only to see on the replay that they don't get their hand up in time, or don't turn around in time. It's frustrating, and last year at least McCourty was making plays but he hasn't so far this year.

That said todays game would have been different if they actually called some of the ridiculous holding on Carter and Wilfork all game. Hell that should have been a safety on the last Oakland drive and we should have won 33-13.

Wilfork was in a head lock on that play and the ref was looking right at him. Not that suprising though as it was happening all game.

Too many homers on this board.This is BB's defense.Lets see how much it improves from game to game.That jets game looks huge considering this team has a division loss already

I think most recognize that the defense has issues and isn't a strength of this team. I think most just hope that the defense is good enough. The arguments are against those that basically believe that Belichick has suddenly become incompetent at both coaching and drafting.

Well what is it?Seems like BB is untouchable.I like BB as our coach but his defensive scheme and the way he has built this defense has left alot to be desired!

Well what is it?Seems like BB is untouchable.I like BB as our coach but his defensive scheme and the way he has built this defense has left alot to be desired!

Talk to me in December. If the defense is still horrid then, then have at it. But I am not going to beat up on the guy in the first month of the season after the defense did a good job keeping the other team from scoring in a year that they are trying to change the defense and there was no offseason. Plus there has been a ton of injuries.

I think there is a recognition by many that nobody is infallable. Sure he has made some mistakes including some big ones. But I'll still take him as the coach and hope he can turn it around. I think some people are just a little more impatient and prone to fly off the handle, which is fine.

-You run a two-minute offense when you are LOSING. Not when you are winning by 2 TOUCHDOWNS.
Even so, they got to the Buf 37 yard line with 1:17 left in the half. At what point do start to whittle time off the clock to prevent a Buffalo possession? After you throw it the next time? Hell no throw it again Tommy. When you have a first down at the damn 13 yard line with 1:09 left? Hell no, throw it again Tommy...

That drive was an EPIC FAIL in strategic footbal and clock management.

-Yes, coming out throwing on 1st down to start the second half was incompetent play calling.

-The 'extra' possessions come from the fact that they don't care about controlling the ball, just scoring. As fast as possible.
This is the time of possession for each drive in the game -
5:15 td, 2:45 td, 0:33 punt, 2:20 punt, 1:32 td, 0:52 int
0:11 int, 4:43 fg, 4:07 punt, 1:44 int, 0:14 int, 6:57 td

The 6:57 drive for a td at the end of the game is their longest drive of the SEASON.

These short drives give opposing offenses more opportunities. It also keeps your defense on the field, tiring them out.

I think there needs to be a new SOP on the sideline.
If they are winning by 14 or more, the QB coach has to give the headset and play chart to the RB coach.

Well you had your wish today and they ran the ball more, much more. They had over 180 yards rusing and play calling was practically 50/50 run pass. Net result? They held the ball for 6 minutes less than Oak and 5 minutes less then last week.

-You run a two-minute offense when you are LOSING. Not when you are winning by 2 TOUCHDOWNS.
The 37-yard line equates to a 55-yard field goal. That distance is more likely to be a miss than a FG. On top of that a long FG means low trajectory, which means more chance of a block, which means more chance of a ST TD by the opponent.

20-20 hindsight is beautiful, isn't it? How many times have we seen NFL coaches get conservative in that situation and come away with nothing?

Plenty.

Perhaps you would prefer a Tony Dungy type directing the offense?

The Call of the Fanboy. Is this Defense still stinks in December....Come on. This Defense is awful. There will be no joy in mudville guys sorry.

If you actually watch the other games instead of just the Pats games you'll see teams that have a pass rush. What this team is the Colts from 2003-2010 without the Dome and without the Pass rush. They have no ONE. Repeat NO ONE that can beat a guy off his block. Don't be pathetic, this was a PI and a ridiculous stupid pass from being a game. You will bet an even better read next week, but basically if Brady make ONE mistake which he didn't do this week they lose. That's what happen in the playoffs last year fanboys.

For all you non-fanboys out there you'll agree with me this is the BIGGEST HOMER Website in the country. People just can't handle and ounce of criticism. They really live in a time warp. Its our job to point out that this IS a flawed team and I applaud columns like the one George Cain pointing out that this coach who will go to the Hall of Fame because of his Defensive Acumen can't coach Defense anymore. Join with me non-fanboys. Don't let these partisan bullies rule the roost.

I think most recognize that the defense has issues and isn't a strength of this team. I think most just hope that the defense is good enough. The arguments are against those that basically believe that Belichick has suddenly become incompetent at both coaching and drafting.

BSR if its not coaching and its not drafting/free agency why are we so bad ?. What's your contention bad luck?
Belichick is a great coach, but as a gm he is average at best. Just name me the impact players on this D. The defensive problems we have now are the same one we have had since the Superbowl i shall not mention

The mini-Felgers in this thread are friggin nauseating

The Call of the Fanboy. Is this Defense still stinks in December....Come on. This Defense is awful. There will be no joy in mudville guys sorry.

If you actually watch the other games instead of just the Pats games you'll see teams that have a pass rush. What this team is the Colts from 2003-2010 without the Dome and without the Pass rush. They have no ONE. Repeat NO ONE that can beat a guy off his block. Don't be pathetic, this was a PI and a ridiculous stupid pass from being a game. You will bet an even better read next week, but basically if Brady make ONE mistake which he didn't do this week they lose. That's what happen in the playoffs last year fanboys.

For all you non-fanboys out there you'll agree with me this is the BIGGEST HOMER Website in the country. People just can't handle and ounce of criticism. They really live in a time warp. Its our job to point out that this IS a flawed team and I applaud columns like the one George Cain pointing out that this coach who will go to the Hall of Fame because of his Defensive Acumen can't coach Defense anymore. Join with me non-fanboys. Don't let these partisan bullies rule the roost.

BS

Show me one fan base (other than Philly fans, who are so miserable nobody compares) or fan site that is more negative towards their team than the Pats are or this site is that is comparable to the Pats in terms of their success.

Yes, the defense is not good.

However, the negative reaction by fans here after a win is ridiculous.

???

Rob didn't slam the critical post or do anything negative. He simply stated his belief that the D will come around in Dec. And here you are slamming him for that and calling him a 'partisan bully'? And you want the other critics on this board to join you as a non-fanboy?

:bricks:
U n b e l i e v a b l e.

But thanks for the laugh. :rolleyes:

Yes, the rational fans on this board have to join together by using the ignore button a lot more to prevent themselves from :rofl: dead upon reading such stupidity masked as rational criticism amidst trying to drum up a roll call for the non-fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back