PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
You play to win the game.

If I told you before the Miami game that the Pats would get 4 sacks, a sick 11 QB hits and allow 14% 3rd down conversions, would you take it?

If I told you before the SD game that the Pats would generate turnovers (including downs) on 5 of 9 drives, would you take it?

If I told you before the Bills game that the Pats would be up 21-10 at halftime and then only yield 55 yards in the first 4 drives of the second half, would you take it?

The first 2 games were 14 point wins and the 3rd should have been. The defense is definitely not firing on all cylinders yet, but that was to be expected. The ease of opponents striking deep down the field is unacceptable. Doesn't it look like a significant part of that is a vanilla man-2-man, single deep safety on most plays? Over time, don't you think that will improve as the newbies on the DL and safety get more experience and the LBs get more comfortable in the 4-3?

The perspective that the Pats don't have the talent to be a good defense seems a little silly. The perspective that Belichick no longer has the ability to assemble and coach a good defense defies explanation.

Cain sounds mutinous.

You play to win the game.

If I told you before the Bills game that the Pats would be up 21-10 at halftime and then only yield 55 yards in the first 4 drives of the second half, would you take it?

Yes, absolutely, I would take it. But it wasn't the defense that lost this game. What lost the game is that BO'B lost the chart with all the running plays at half time. Brady should have never had the the opportunity to throw 3 ints, because he should not have been throwing it at all. Buffalo had 7 possessions in the 2nd half - never should have happened.

Yes, absolutely, I would take it. But it wasn't the defense that lost this game. What lost the game is that BO'B lost the chart with all the running plays at half time. Brady should have never had the the opportunity to throw 3 ints, because he should not have been throwing it at all. Buffalo had 7 possessions in the 2nd half - never should have happened.

Can we stop this nonsense that "the defense didn't lose the game - the offense did"?

The offense was highly productive and made critical mistakes. The defense gave up not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 scroing drives that began at the Buffalo 20 or worse. The loss was (as they almost always are) a team effort.

Maybe you should stop being narrow minded and look at Ted's point because you can't dispute all the busts he's listed the past several years.

Did you miss the part where he did just that? Well, maybe not ALL the busts, as there certainly were some, but some of the guys on Ted's list absolutely don't belong there at this point.

Can we stop this nonsense that "the defense didn't lose the game - the offense did"?

The offense was highly productive and made critical mistakes. The defense gave up not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 scroing drives that began at the Buffalo 20 or worse. The loss was (as they almost always are) a team effort.

I didn't say the offense lost the game....the coaching staff did. Even Grogan mentioned he was surprised they didn't run the ball more up 21-7 in the 2nd qtr.

For example - Coming out throwing with 1:56 left before halftime failed, and only took 52 seconds off the clock. Giving the ball back to the Bills for an extra possession they never should have gotten. Bills took advantage and scored 3 points.

Buffalo had all 3 TOs left. When you start running the ball here, A) They have to burn their TOs to stop the clock hoping for a final possession, or B) they say to heck with it and go into halftime 21-7.

If the Pats score here it is a bonus. Instead they gave Buffalo 3 points they never should have scored.

Then starting out the second half throwing, after your defense just forced a 3 and out, is nothing short of incompetent play calling.
This is where you have to set the tone for the rest of the game. Inflict your will on the opposing defense, wear them out, and control the clock.

Make them stop you.

Even Jaworski is now calling them out for not helping the defense with their 'score-score-score' mentality, not controlling the ball, not controlling the clock, and not eliminating EXTRA possessions for the opposing offense.

The defense also forced two INTs and 5 punts, 4 of which were 3 and outs.

But when you give the opposing offense 13 possessions, they ARE going to score multiple times. The Bills are a good team you just cannot give them that many chances.

One thing that i would add is over the years ive noticed that usually Brady throws his picks in Bunches. If he throws one hes likely he'll throw a few more if given the opportunity, and then not throw another for the next 300-400 attempts. Having the running going not only helps Brady, it helps the Defense.

The defense is bad, and having to be back on the filed after those picks really put them at a disadvantage. The D-line is old and i'm sue wearing down having to be on the field all that time.

Last edited:
Ras I Dowling what a pick. No I am not a troll just a little more informed about the game of football than you. But hey we got dowling another injury prone bust like Cunningham hey fan boys go watch some more a football life oh wait I remember the end of that movie.

Ras I Dowling what a pick. No I am not a troll just a little more informed about the game of football than you. But hey we got dowling another injury prone bust like Cunningham hey fan boys go watch some more a football life oh wait I remember the end of that movie.

So you've already deemed Dowling and Cunningham busts, eh? Yeah, you sure are informed about the game of football, alright.

Just come out of the closet man, we know you love the Jets.

I didn't say the offense lost the game....the coaching staff did. Even Grogan mentioned he was surprised they didn't run the ball more up 21-7 in the 2nd qtr.

For example - Coming out throwing with 1:56 left before halftime failed, and only took 52 seconds off the clock. Giving the ball back to the Bills for an extra possession they never should have gotten. Bills took advantage and scored 3 points.

Buffalo had all 3 TOs left. When you start running the ball here, A) They have to burn their TOs to stop the clock hoping for a final possession, or B) they say to heck with it and go into halftime 21-7.

Its called a two minute offense. The objective is to score before the half not run out the clock.

Then starting out the second half throwing, after your defense just forced a 3 and out, is nothing short of incompetent play calling.
This is where you have to set the tone for the rest of the game. Inflict your will on the opposing defense, wear them out, and control the clock.

Make them stop you.

They were incompetent because the called a pass? A single pass?

Even Jaworski is now calling them out for not helping the defense with their 'score-score-score' mentality, not controlling the ball, not controlling the clock, and not eliminating EXTRA possessions for the opposing offense.

Where do these extra possessions come from? Were there on side kicks that I didn't notice? Typically the ball transfers over to the other team after their possession so both teams have roughly the same amount of possessions. The only extra possession the Bills had in this game was the last one when the defense failed to stop them.

Injured Ras I Dowling has started more games this year than Kyle Wilson. How said is that for your sad Jets. :singing:

Did you miss the part where he did just that? Well, maybe not ALL the busts, as there certainly were some, but some of the guys on Ted's list absolutely don't belong there at this point.

You're right. Merriweather and Thomas are not busts. The other guys are. I'll gladly eat crow when Cunningham and Brace proves me wrong.

Where do these extra possessions come from? Were there on side kicks that I didn't notice? Typically the ball transfers over to the other team after their possession so both teams have roughly the same amount of possessions. The only extra possession the Bills had in this game was the last one when the defense failed to stop them.

I believe what he is saying is the Patriots should have been focused on limiting the number of possessions both teams have in a game.

This is a tactic usually employed by teams with inferior talent facing explosive offenses, the classic example being the NY Giants 20-19 win over the Bills in the Super Bowl.

Why do trolls always write so poorly? It's interesting.

I think its especially laughable that some posters think they definitively know what the problem is: They are trading down picks, they need to run the ball more, Kraft needs to force him to have a DC, he needs a GM. This is where I think it goes too far the other way. The reality is that we all here are fairly clueless as to the specifics and there really isn't a simple answer. I feel that those that think that they have all the answers tend to have none.

It amuses me when people treat football like its rocket science, or brain surgery, or fighting a 2-front war while your economy is in the toilet. Its freaking football.

With the exception of the kool-aid drinkers, the people on this board are smart, can read statistics & analyze trends, and have a solid understanding of how the game is played and coached.

I think many of the specific comments are spot on (if you're gonna draft 2 RB early, then run the ball d%#*!@t).
I think there are indeed some simple answers (i.e. you don't cut your starting safeties right before game 1).

You're right. Merriweather and Thomas are not busts. The other guys are. I'll gladly eat crow when Cunningham and Brace proves me wrong.

They don't need to prove you wrong. There is no basis on which you can call Cunningham or Brace a bust. They could end up that way, certainly, but they aren't ATPIT.

If the Pats score here it is a bonus. Instead they gave Buffalo 3 points they never should have scored.

Make them stop you.

So Jaws is now reading patsfaninpittsburgh. Good job Jaws!!!!!!!!!!!

Expect to see more insightful analysis from him in the future.

AGAIN, ya can't turn the ball over and ya can't throw "pick sixes" and ya can't do it in the redzone.

There is ZERO excuse for turnovers.

As long as we score, the opponent can compile ginormous stats and irritate the follow useless stats idiots. The key is they still lose the game.

Last edited:
Dunlap was taken the very next pick after Cunningham, McCourty has nothing to do with him.

Did I say the Jets were a Superbowl team? I didn't think so, the Jets won last year because they get away with PI on pretty much every down. Cromartie got 4 PI penalties last week, and they lost.

Willie McGinest, you know the guy who holds the record for most career sacks in the playoffs, says "hi"

Vrabel and McGinest coming off the edge were a fromidale pair, Seymour has to be doubleteamed, which left Willie or Vrabel to rush against a TE.

What was the single biggest play in SB XXXVI? Vrabel hitting Warner which led to Law's pick 6.

Please tell me how this defense is going to get better? Is barret suddenly not going to s&*k? Will some yet unknown undrfted Free agent turn into Bruce Smith?

The Pats have had more than twenty first and second and third round picks in the last few years and only have Mayo, Gronkowski, Vollmer, Chung, McCourty, Vollmer and maye Solder to show for it.

On the other hand we have this list of all-stars:
Merriweather
Wheatley
Butler
McKenzie
Cunningham
Brace
Tate
Crable
O'Connell
Maroney
Jackson
Thomas

That's 7 starters and 12 busts, in the first three rounds.

You don't realize how utterly stupid this post truly is.

There is no better example of why sites need intelligence standards to facilitate proper posting.

Since 2007, the standard NFL franchise has had 15 choices in the first three rounds. Based on the current draft philosophy, the following has happened:

On the team

Solder, Vereen, Ridley, Mallet, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker

Dowling, Cunningham,Spikes, McCourty, Brace, Chung, Mayo

Future first/second.

This is a success rate of over 100%

Based on history here are the success rates 1st-50%, 2nd-40%, 3rd- 30%

Classic dumb, very dumb. Ted Williams torso has more brains that the above post.

The raison d' etre of acquiring extra picks is for greater competition for a set number of slots. "Bust" has as big a zero meaning as a "bust" factor has for a company with ten open slots but decides to interview 30 vs 10 people for the jobs.

As LaCanfora pointed out preseason- claims on cut Patriots far exceeded all other teams. That is far more relavent and indicative indication of talent available for 53 player positions.

I simply don't get the point of fans infuriating themselves with completely stupid view points to attempt to prove nonsensical points that have zero bearing.

Ian, what's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back