PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick is human, Chad Jackson pick proves it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really I always thought he was this alien

darth%20sidious.jpg

Well, since drafting Jackson, the patriots got Gaffney, Moss and Welker. I don't think Belichick's going to complain about wasting a second round pick on him.

The BB regime has been exceptional in its drafts of:

The 1st round
The 4th round
Tom Brady

It has been good to very good, all things considered -- but not exceptional -- in the other parts of its drafts combined.

So what?

The BB regime has been exceptional in its drafts of:

The 1st round
The 4th round
Tom Brady

It has been good to very good, all things considered -- but not exceptional -- in the other parts of its drafts combined.

So what?

So what? It's just a nasty trend that was exacerbated last year....

The trend of failing to be PERFECT! It's perfection or bust around here!

Some of you people are in total denial. Belichick made a mistake, please admit this fact and move on. If the pats thought Jackson would be a great pro, they would not have cut him.

BB did make a mistake....he misjudged chad's mental capabilities...

when u only have a player show himself for one small interview, that can happen

Total knee-jerk reaction... No one is calling for BB or SP's heads. Posters are calling out Bill for a BAD pick, and rightfully so. Maybe if half of you didn't spend most of the time blowing smoke up one anothers butt's, this forum would be a little more objective and real.

BB is GREAT at drafting players, unless they are offensive players in the second round.

look, 2nd round hasnt been that strong for Beoli...thats a fact

why? b/c beoli is much more concerened about not making ANY mistakes with their 1st round picks.....good strategy so far, no complaints here

look, 2nd round hasnt been that strong for Beoli...thats a fact

why? b/c beoli is much more concerened about not making ANY mistakes with their 1st round picks.....good strategy so far, no complaints here

None here either....I'm just saying, the lengths some posters will go to spin ANYTHING negative about the pats is shocking. Jackson was a bust, plain and simple.

I'm fine with that, Bill knows exactly what he is doing, and he deserves our trust.

To play Devil's advocate for a moment--how do you know that Greg Jennings would have worked in this system?

Good players can play in any system.

Which team has not? What person has not made a lot of mistakes in his life? These ridiculous expectations of perfection are nauseating.

I know, it makes me sick too.

Can you name any team that has had more success with the NFL draft during the BB/SP era??

The first team that comes to mind is the Dallas Cowboys. I don't know if their better but the Tuna built that team pretty damn quick. Their 2005 draft was insanely good.

Total knee-jerk reaction... No one is calling for BB or SP's heads. Posters are calling out Bill for a BAD pick, and rightfully so. Maybe if half of you didn't spend most of the time blowing smoke up one anothers butt's, this forum would be a little more objective and real.

BB is GREAT at drafting players, unless they are offensive players in the second round.
Which half of us? As for me, I quit smoking in August of 1989...and you're right - mine was a knee-jerk reaction. It was a knee-jerk reaction in response to whiners and complainers who wail when the Patriots make a personnel error (which they do with less regularity than pretty much everyone else) and are strangely silent when 7 or 8 rookies make the team, as with this one. I love you people who pride yourselves in being "non-homers" and castigate everyone else who defends their team. The Patriots are far from perfect and I, like many others, get exasperated from time-to-time with them, but when the entire body of work is examined, I say they do OK.

Yes, he is human. Did you think he was from Mars? Drafting college players is always a crap shoot. The pro game is just too much of a different animal. Sometimes, with a close choice, the final decision has to be based on your instincts. No matter who you are, sometimes you lose. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Duane Starks
Chad Brown (twice)
Monte Beisel
Doug Gabriel
Reche Caldwell (yeah he was O.K. in 06 but pretty much sucked)

There are more and these are pros - BB has screwed up in FA as well - he is not even close to comparison with god as we see for the homers who ball wash him all the time

Is he at the top of coaches in the NFL? ,yes he is right there,but he is far and I mean FAR from perfect like some morons in here can't seem to understand through the thick layer of skull

"Is he at the top of coaches in the NFL? ,yes he is right there..."

My point exactly. Thank you.

Last edited:
Eh, to be honest I kind of expected Jackson to bust. He's a Florida wide receiver and I'm a Gator fan. I know better than most what our receivers look like in the NFL. The exceptions that I can name are Jabar Gaffney (you have to take into account the guy who is throwing him the ball though) and Ike Hilliard. I will say though that after draft day, those thoughts subsided a little as I began to have hope due to the fact that his numbers from the combine were excellent and he was going to have Brady throwing him the ball. I then accepted those excuses afterward about his health because I was still holding out hope for the guy but he never really flashed anything brilliant this preseason. Eh, another University of Florida bust at the Wide Receiver position.

Eh, to be honest I kind of expected Jackson to bust. He's a Florida wide receiver and I'm a Gator fan. I know better than most what our receivers look like in the NFL. The exceptions that I can name are Jabar Gaffney (you have to take into account the guy who is throwing him the ball though) and Ike Hilliard. I will say though that after draft day, those thoughts subsided a little as I began to have hope due to the fact that his numbers from the combine were excellent and he was going to have Brady throwing him the ball. I then accepted those excuses afterward about his health because I was still holding out hope for the guy but he never really flashed anything brilliant this preseason. Eh, another University of Florida bust at the Wide Receiver position.

You've really got to give Hilliard credit. He made a very nice NFL career for himself.

You've really got to give Hilliard credit. He made a very nice NFL career for himself.

Yeah. I actually think he's one of the better clutch receivers in the NFL right now. He'd look good with a Flying Elvis on his helmet.

EDIT: Some may also be able to find an excuse (a good one) for throwing Reche into that list.

Last edited:
Can you name any team that has had more success with the NFL draft during the BB/SP era??

I think there are other teams in the discussion actually. If not for Eli, I'd say the Giants have done a phenomenal job in the draft. Plaxico and Antonio pierce are really the only big name FA's, I guess you can count sam Madison but he hasn't been a huge contributor. Their roster is full of early and late round draft picks that have stuck around. Consider Ryan Grant was expendable last year.

I love the way the Steelers have drafted as well. They excel at finding tough, physical players ( not that it's helped them aginst us lately)

lucky the reg season starts on sunday ..so some here can start complaining about why we didnt cover the spread or why we ran up the score.

As for BB one of his best qualities is learning from his mistakes.

I guess Scott Pioli is not Human then. Isn't he in on these decisions?
I don't know what is wrong with some of you people. :rolleyes:
Chad Jackson was not a good fit for this team. Get over it and move on. They made a mistake, it wasn't their first and it won't be their last. Yes, I am including Scot Pioli in this. Isn't he in charge of player personnel?

Bill spoke about Chad at length on WEEI yesterday. I know some of you won't listen to WEEI because they are all morons and homers, so with ESPN and Felger and their self proclaimed intelligent kneejerk anti-homer intelligent pseudo objectivity driven bashing now lost to you you probably have nothing to listen to but each other.

Despite being prodded by guest host Steve Old Time Baseball rocks Buckley to dish the dirt on Chad, all the only true players coach in this league kept reiterating is that if anyone made a mistake, and that's debatable, it was him. That's one of the things I truly respect and admire about Bill - he never stoops to dissing players to save his own ass or curry media favor. Said Chad worked as hard as anyone on the roster over the last 3 years and made significant improvement every season. There were just other players ahead of him on the roster based on their own hard work and experience and particular skill set. He talked about how ST play and versatility can make a difference, and how some players have the mental as well as physical versatility to play multiple positions whether that is on offense and ST or offense and defense or even within an offense. Said some like Ventrone are able to take advantage of opportunities like playing on a practice squad that others might not have because of their situation and use that time to increase their potential value in a system predicated on it. While other players are only comfortable and excel in a more limited and specific role. He said he believed that Chad will play and quite possibly very well in another system that is better suited to utilize his strengths.

Deion Branch came out of the second round, too :eek: and was deemed a reach as I recall by all the talking head experts. Turns out his strengths are quite different than Jacksons and he was a perfect fit for this system and it's QB. His mental acuity far exceeds his physical gifts. That fit this system. Hasn't fit one with a former Farve backup at the helm. Go figure - Holmgrem must be a moron not to have realized that. Belichick did which was why he reluctantly let him go. He knew that player was worth more here yet not nearly worth what a system he would not fit was willing to pay him. Ditto Givens. That forced an adjustment that only allowed us to make the AFCC that season, but it also led us to Moss, Welker and Gaffney which over the long haul will probably pay dividends considering Givens and Branch can't either get on or stay on the field as impact players 2 years removed from here.

Bill Parcell's is such a genius he hasn't won a ring since the 80's. He is pretty good at identifying draft talent, although sometimes in the new NFL he can't get it to play for him. Nor can he get along with managements for more than a couple of seasons. And of course he does tend to wear blinders when it comes to his guys. Some of whom it turns out can only play for him (Glenn) while others can't play for even him (Bledsoe) and effectively negate all that drafting prowess. Then there is that little matter of other whole set of personality quirks he comes packaged with...

Bill Polian is still a drafting genius even though his 2007 3rd round DT quit football after one season and he can't pick a FA to overpay who doesnt bite him in the ass to save his soul. His genius is as rooted in luck as skill as anyone's. 0 for 4 with Buffalo, ground floor build with expansion perks in Carolina, and the #1 pick in a draft with Manning. Didn't hurt that Dungy became available just as his first choice as HC in Indy was having a failure induced nervous breakdown, either...

Nobody here ever claims that Bill Belichick is perfect. Just that he's the best in his business by a country mile. And on that basis everything he does has earned the benefit of the doubt even while it can't all always work out because it never does for any NFL organization. This one has the best overall track record in the league over the last several seaons by the only truly objective measure. Championships and games won. And they've managed to accomplish that while mining talent from a self determined limited talent pool.

Persistently arguing against that rationale just underscores how self absorbed and "thick" some here truly are.

Let's face it, many people on this board thought Jackson would be a bust from day one...

There is a saying "To error is human, to forgive devine". That being said I will forgive you for your error and pretend I ddin't just hear you say that about our beloved coach :cool: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes