PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Speaks very Highly about Special Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but I'd expand that hand to all 4 for that reason. The defense seemed ill prepared for air Kaepernick out of the gate. The offense seemed oddly determined to stick with a plan to run the ball out of the gate even as the runners kept putting the rock on the ground. And they allowed the opponent to dictate tempo. ST was not prepared for that fake punt even though conditions were ripe. There were costly mistakes across the board. D kept blitzing for naught, drop after drop on offense and multiple fumbles recovered or not, poor field position due to ST inability to attack coupled with uncharacteristic penalties. Lack of focus and discipline was widespread early and reared it's head again late.

I'd add a fifth deficit. Luck. If we didn't have bad luck last night we might have had none. The bounces and breaks and for that matter calls didn't go our way across the board. Coaches needed to adjust their approach accordingly.

Poor execution is on the players, and we had too many instances of it. That said, coaching is always in question when that happens to a team like this in all three phases... They didn't have a bead on their own team as it took the field, and that impacts whatever bead they thought they had on the opponent. Maybe in a perfect world they had a game plan in all phases that would have worked. But it was pretty clear early on they weren't in a perfect world, this was closer to performing in an alternate universe and they were very slow to adapt and adjust. Even mentality wise, which is how that fake punt succeeded. Knowing what a gambler Harbaugh is...

I didn't think the punt coverage as a whole (aside from the fake punt, of course) was that bad last night, myself. Kick return unit, offense, and defense (as well as coaching) were pretty bad, though. For the most part, though, I agree with what you've written.

All I know is this....real lousy time to have a breakdown on return coverage....giving up a 62 yard return after what could have been tagged as "A historical comeback" and then having a pathetic offensive series that included 2 sacks in NOT what I expected!!Something I did notice is that they didn't seem to be keeping the kicking balls or the game balls come to think about it....dry and near the heaters. Is there a rule against that.

OK I think everyone is getting too kneejerk in this thread. Our STs is pretty good and if you take all 4 units to into the equation we are probably slightly above average when compared to the league.

Our kick Return unit is worst STs unit and is what holds the STs back as whole.

Our Punt Return unit was one of the best in the league with Jules back there and Wes is more than an adequate replacement.

Our kick and Punt coverage units are really good though they clearly let us down last night but lets not ignore the fact that the 49ers have really good return units.

Last night was not the STs best game and they share their blame for the loss which IMO had much more to do with ball control and even more so thier ability recover their own fumbles and ours. But lets not sit here and act like they regularly allow kick returns of 60+ yards.

And to point out something on that fake punt I think that was as much about the 49ers seeing something in our return unit as as it was us dropping the ball. We all know it to be a regular thing with this team but in bad weather they like to have 2 punt returners back one for the short kick and one where a normal returner would stand. I think the 49ers prepared for this knowing the weather that was coming and knowing they would have basically 11 on 9 and to be honest I am surprised more teams haven't tried to exploit this.

Welker is an experienced punt returner, we're lucky to have him after losing one of the best. Sheesh, that's all we need is taking a chance on fumbled punts this time of year, be thankful.

McCourty, on the other hand, is a hesitating, stutter stepping, below average returner. He took one back, but otherwise averages 20.37 yards. Take a knee, Devin and lets try some others out in the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News