PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AP story on Specter/Goodell gives blatantly false information

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this wasn't even against the rules until 2006, who the hell cares what they were doing in 2000?

If this wasn't even against the rules until 2006, who the hell cares what they were doing in 2000?

I recall that in one of his press conferences or interviews just before the SB, Goodell said that there was uncertainty as to how much of the info was obtained within the rules and what wasn't, but they erred on the latter and destroyed everything that was confiscated. My guess is this is the pre-2006 stuff, which they didn;t make a big deal about at the time because it was likely within the rules.

We may be heading for a big confrontation if Spectre wants Goodell to punish the Pats for pre-2006 material (this is pure speculation). I think the Krafts will push back stongly on this.

At the very least, they intend to further embarass the team. As I feared, instead of the media focusing on the timing of these attacks just before the SB and what at least for now appears to be a lack of any smoking gun on the Rams SB, they are acting like the pre-2006 stuff is a revelation of more Pats cheating.

Sorry for being behind here, none of this was illegal prior to 2006?

Also can someone verify that with a link or section from the rulebook, I'd like to use for reference when arguing with other fans in the future...

Also can someone verify that with a link or section from the rulebook, I'd like to use for reference when arguing with other fans in the future...

Here is a link to a post I had back in September:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=61707

Like I said, I am not certain, but I think the memo was intended to clarify that there is no sideline video as well.

There is nothing in the rule book or manual that makes stealing signals illegal.

It would be almost impossible to legislate if there were.

There is something in the operations manual which makes filming outside an enclosure illegal.

Until the memo in 2006, the NFL had never mentioned stealing signals and filming in the same sentence.

This means that it has been illegal to film for a long time, but stealing signals has never been mentioned before either in a memo or the rulebook until 2006. And it's still not even in the rulebook.

So, is there any update on what went down between these two? I am guessing no, because it not as sexy of a story since the Super Bowl is over.

*sigh* I thought America had rules against yellow journalism.

As I posted before major props to Roger scheduling this meeting the same day as Clemen's hearing, awesome when anything Spygate is NOT the top story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes