Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
IMO, you can ignore everything else, and the 2008 Pats season, TO ME, boils down to this:

Success= Winning the SB

anything else is an unsuccessful 2008

I'm not trying to say they are a bunch of faliures if they dont win the SB.

I'm saying anything else that happens along the way is fine by me if the end result is winning the SB, and nothing else that happens would overcome not winning the SB.

I really believe the Patriots in 2008 are supposed to win the SB, and anything less would be a disappointment to me.
I realize that is setting the bar (unfairly) high but thats where it is to me.

IMO, you can ignore everything else, and the 2008 Pats season, TO ME, boils down to this:

Success= Winning the SB

I'm not trying to say they are a bunch of failures if they don't win the SB.

I'm saying anything else that happens along the way is fine by me if the end result is winning the SB, and nothing else that happens would overcome not winning the SB.

I really believe the Patriots in 2008 are supposed to win the SB, and anything less would be a disappointment to me.

Andy, I think this post illustrates perfectly how absolutely spoiled we are as Pats fans.

That being said, I think Bill would agree with you that anything other than a SB win is a failure.

Agree 100%. I will be disappointed with anything less than a 2008 SB, and frankly would be disappointed if the team does not win at least 2 more SBs in the BB/Brady era.

this season will be a failure if they do not win the sb. just like last year. i know people will debate this, but that's my belief.

Agree.

This team is too good to be satisfied with anything less. Having a "good" season is not good enough. We already know this team is "good." We need a Super Bowl victory.

Success= Winning the SB

I'm not trying to say they are a bunch of faliures if they dont win the SB.

Disagree. It all depends on how the season unfolds, who gets injured, etc. My only "absolute" for success in '08 is that this team make the playoffs. Anything can happen after that, as we learned too well in February. I don't buy into the mindset that anything short of a Super Bowl victory makes for a failed season.

Last edited:
gotta agree Tunes....number 1 is make the playoffs...THAT is a measure of success in itself....THEN success in the postseason...how can anybody be disappointed if the Pats don't win the Super Bowl if they don't make the playoffs in the first place?

I can say with 100% certainty what's in the punch bowl at Practice:

Win game #1. I genuinely believe that's all there is. That's how we win so many games, we always are only aiming to win one game: the next one.

Nope, disagree. I'm happy that we're in the mix for the Super Bowl. I'm looking for my money's worth.

I can say with 100% certainty what's in the punch bowl at Practice:

Win game #1. I genuinely believe that's all there is. That's how we win so many games, we always are only aiming to win one game: the next one.

Of course the players and coaches cannot think ahead, but we can, it has no impact if we do.

Nope, disagree. I'm happy that we're in the mix for the Super Bowl. I'm looking for my money's worth.

Beat the Colts! Beat the Chargers! Crush the Jets! Squish the fish! and be in the hunt for a championship is enough for me. Winning one is damn hard and the Pats have three.

It's a huge year for the Pats-jmo. If they make the playoffs that's great and it proves they're perennial contenders and always will be. But they need to win THIS SB because unfortunately I think that's how people will judge them. Personally I've been raised a Pats fan and I'll never be anything else, but I think they need a SB and they need it this year-not to please us fans,but to say something to everyone else.

Andy, I think this post illustrates perfectly how absolutely spoiled we are as Pats fans.

That being said, I think Bill would agree with you that anything other than a SB win is a failure.

Can I agree with you and Andy. This team has spoiled us but it wont last forever so we better get as many titles as we can and at this point 3 isnt enough

After the Denver playoff game and the Indy AFCCG, I felt we missed two great opportunities for another Super Bowl. Frustrating games. Last year's SB leaves a bigger wanting stench. We got to it and blew it.

I don't care about any records anymore. Team or individual. Streaks, to me, are meaningless unless a SB is an intragal part of it. We've knocked on the door the last three years and never won one.

Last edited:
Can I agree with you and Andy. This team has spoiled us but it wont last forever so we better get as many titles as we can and at this point 3 isnt enough

we were fortunate to witness three SB's with our stars early on in their career. If they were on the downside of their careers and a shell of their former self I would have little expectations.

I agree it's a high bar and I TRULY want that..but would I be really disaapointed if they lost?? Yes...but it may depend on how it happened..injuries et all..and I have remembered too many of the years where these last 10 or so have been truely amazing...so..I just want to enjoy the ride and appreciate what the team does...wanting number 4!! It's also setting the bar too high that one loses the enjoyment of what this team is about.

yeha, I just want to see them play some good football, be in the mix, if they win it great, as long as they don't make it past week twelve undefeated I'm happy. I'm not ashamed to say I can't take that again.

I have to side with Tunes here. The season unfolds different every time, and if TB goes down making the playoffs might be a HUGE success. Now barring a TB/half the team-type injury problem I think they should make it to the SB! Of course you want to win it, everyone does. But we have to realize that we no longer have a "DYNASTY" here, just a really good team. Great teams just dont lose SBs! We still have the POTENTIAL to get back to dynasty status, but CJ had potential too,lol. Its what you DO with the opportunity that counts.

This great team has a finite window of opportunity. We may never see this again. ANYTHING but a SB victory would be disappointing.

I respectfully disagree. Every year is different. Say both Moss and Welker go down midseason and get IRed (God forbid). Would losing the Super Bowl be a disapointment in that case when the Pats' starting WRs are Gaffney and Washington?

Last year it was a major disapointment not winning the Super Bowl, the most disapointing in Patriots' history. But this year is a whole new year and things could roll out differently.You gotta wait to see how the season plays itself out before you make decisions on what makes a successful and disapointing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents