PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53 Man Predictions after Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like DaBruinz, I might consider Foster over White. He has more athletic upside and while the argument for White is his pass catching, Foster played WR last year in college. As we're collecting good ST guys I might let Bolden go but as I assume Bill's keeping him for ST I may keep Blount, Gaffney, Foster, Bolden at RB.

White over Bolden
Bolden is like the ugly girl who will do everything you want your girlfriend to do for you cept she doesnt look good doing it.
She Bolden is there when you need a yard but youd rather go in another direction.

White over Bolden
Bolden is like the ugly girl who will do everything you want your girlfriend to do for you cept she doesnt look good doing it.
She Bolden is there when you need a yard but youd rather go in another direction.
Bolden is a core ST guy but we're adding more, King last year, presumably KGH this year, to go with Slater and Ebner. Eventually you wonder (or I do, anyway) if we'll have enough without Bolden.

Bolden is a core ST guy but we're adding more, King last year, presumably KGH this year, to go with Slater and Ebner. Eventually you wonder (or I do, anyway) if we'll have enough without Bolden.

I believe Bolden is a key player on several special teams units. I don't think that KGH, King and Ebner play similar positions.

As an aside, I have finally moved Bolden to the ST group on my own roster. IMHO, Ebner and KGH make the roster as the 5th safety and the 4th LB. Slater, Bolden and King are more important as special teamers.

If Foster plays well against the Giants I could see them taking him over a guy like Dobson. Foster can play WR as well as RB and offers special teams. I could see them taking less WRs and more RBs. Bill loves versatility. Just something to think about...

I'm not one of Blount's detractors. How badly did you want that "gotcha"?

Pretty sure the point of the comment was White, not Blount. Rather funny juxtaposition of praise for White and questions about Blount's consistency, given White's inability to run between the tackles so far.

No offense but “Valentine may be unimpressive enough to sneak onto the practice squad” is one of the dumbest things I have heard on this board.

How could someone not be offended by that?

QB (2) J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) J.White, T.Gaffney, J.Develin, D.Foster, L.Blount
WR (6) J.Edelman, M.Mitchell, K.Martin, M.Slater, C.Harper, C.Hogan
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, A.Derby, M.Bennett
C (1) D.Andrews
G (5) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras, J.Cooper, J.Kline
T (3) N.Solder, L.Waddle, M.Cannon
DE (4) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, T.Flowers, C.Long
DT (4) M.Brown, V.Valentine, A.Johnson, A.Branch
ILB(1) D.Hightower
OLB(5) J.Collins, B.Mingo, J.Freeny, K.Grugier-Hill, S.McClellin
CB (5) M.Butler, C.Jones, J.Coleman, J.Jones, L.Ryan
SS (4) P.Chung, J.Richards, B.King, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2015

Suspension: Brady
PUP: Amendola, Jackson
IR: Vollmer

Not thrilled that 3 of the 5 guards are battling injury (Cooper, Kline, and Mason)
Could definitely see cutting a WR like Harper and substituting a healthy body for the OL.

We are definitely going to need more linebackers than you predict, Mlink.
Otherwise that's not a bad list.

I can see surprises on ST front.
What JJ showed last night stopping CAR return could make some core STs esp. against return obsolete.

Then you have KGH who is also a nice toy for BB&MP's new D looks.

And then Mingo who played 84% ST snaps for Browns.

(someone could make cases even for E. Roberts and Humber)

For Week 1

QB (2) J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett (Dom Grady)
RB (6) L.Blount, J.White, B.Bolden, T.Gaffney, J.Develin, D.Foster
WR (5) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, A.Dobson, M.Slater
TE (4) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, A.Derby, C.Harbor
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (4) J.Thuney, S.Mason, T.Jackson, J.Kline
T (3) N.Solder, M.Cannon, L.Waddle
DE (4) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, C.Long, T.Flowers
DT (6) M.Brown, A.Branch, T.Knighton, A.Johnson, M.Kuhn, V.Valentine
ILB(1) D.Hightower
OLB(3) J.Collins, B.Mingo, K.Grugier-Hill
CB (5) M.Butler, L.Ryan, C.Jones, C.LeBlanc, J.Coleman
SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, N.Ebner

Suspended - TFB
PUP - Seabass, Jonathan Cooper, Dion Lewis, Danny Amendola, Shea McClellin
Practice Squad - Chris Harper, DeAndre Carter, Devin Lucien, Chris Barker, Darryl Roberts, Jonathan Jones
Tough Cuts - Keshawn Martin, Cameron Flemming, Brandon King

I figure the RB, TE and DT situations will work themselves out by the time Brady and some PUP players get back. In the meantime I think a RB and TE heavy offense could suit Jimmy...quick passes, mismatches with linebackers, easy reads, screens, draws/trap plays etc. That said, nice to see Hogan get going tonight.

Would not be surprised to see Nink get some work at LB...Valentine maybe unimpressive enough to sneak onto practice squad? 3rd round pick but considered a sizable reach if I remember correctly.

OL remains my biggest concern. Question marks around every player except maybe David Andrews.

Thoughts?
I'm intrigued by this Dominic Grady you have at quarterback. Is he a practice squad candidate?

Last edited:
I believe Bolden is a key player on several special teams units. I don't think that KGH, King and Ebner play similar positions.

As an aside, I have finally moved Bolden to the ST group on my own roster. IMHO, Ebner and KGH make the roster as the 5th safety and the 4th LB. Slater, Bolden and King are more important as special teamers.
KGH is a special teams only, defense in an emergency guy.

Bolden is an edge blocker on punts and is on the line for punt returns. There is no reason that KGH couldn't do that.

You can't compare him to Ebner because Ebner is on the field at the same time as him. Ebner is the Personal Protector on Punts. Ebner is also on the line during punt returns..

This idea that Bolden is some how more important just doesn't make sense considering he's plays a position on the special teams units that is replaceable more easily than the Personal Protector (Ebner) or gunner (King). Though King might be in trouble if Jonathan Jones continues to play like he did against the Panthers.

RB (5) L.Blount, T.Gaffney, D.Foster, J.White, J.Develin
C (1) D.Andrews
G (5) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras, J.Kline, J.Cooper
DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, A.Johnson, V.Valentine
ILB(1) D.Hightower
OLB(5) J.Collins, S.McClellin, J.Freeny, B.Mingo, K.Grugier-Hill
CB (6) M.Butler, L.Ryan, C.Jones, J.Jones, D.Roberts, C.LeBlanc
SS (3) N.Ebner, P.Chung, J.Richards

I left off key ST guys like Brandon King and Brandon Bolden with the thought that there are enough STers left to fill in. Gaffney takes Bolden's spot as the big RB and Jordan Richards can, in theory, play in the regular defense. Richards was the last roster spot for me, and I initially had King making the team over him.

RB (5) L.Blount, T.Gaffney, D.Foster, J.White, J.Develin
C (1) D.Andrews
G (5) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras, J.Kline, J.Cooper
DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, A.Johnson, V.Valentine
ILB(1) D.Hightower
OLB(5) J.Collins, S.McClellin, J.Freeny, B.Mingo, K.Grugier-Hill
CB (6) M.Butler, L.Ryan, C.Jones, J.Jones, D.Roberts, C.LeBlanc
SS (3) N.Ebner, P.Chung, J.Richards

I left off key ST guys like Brandon King and Brandon Bolden with the thought that there are enough STers left to fill in. Gaffney takes Bolden's spot as the big RB and Jordan Richards can, in theory, play in the regular defense. Richards was the last roster spot for me, and I initially had King making the team over him.
I'm actually a big Gaffney supporter but I'm not sure he is such a lock to make this roster as we all believe. He has 28 carries for 86 yards when you remove his 44 yard run from the equation.

I think Gaffney and Foster are going to be at risk of players not on the roster currently taking their spots.

I'm actually a big Gaffney supporter but I'm not sure he is such a lock to make this roster as we all believe. He has 28 carries for 86 yards when you remove his 44 yard run from the equation.
You can't do that, all RB would have YPC below 4.0 if you removed their best runs. 28-86 is actually fairly good considering that you did that.

Bolden failed miserably at his job last night whereas Gaffney picked up the blitz and stonewalled his man.
This one game.. you read one line of my entire post and genralized. My point is..if anyone can show to be a competent pass protector this year Bolden is gone.

This one game.. you read one line of my entire post and genralized. My point is..if anyone can show to be a competent pass protector this year Bolden is gone.

I read your entire post and disagreed with your initial assessment of Bolden. And I used the Panthers game as proof.

Your point is meaningless if your initial assessment is bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back