PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53 Man Predictions after Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now you are changing what you said? I took 1 run out because that is what you said to do, now you are changing it because it makes you look wrong.
Take out the 1 best of 29. Take out the 1 best of 150-300. Does that sounds like sound stats to you ? I didn't think so.

Gaffney had the 44 yard run. He also had the short ones. Keep them all in, they happened.

Running backs are commodities. I see them cutting Gaffney, and nobody claiming him, so he goes to the practice squad.

I live in Seattle. Last year after Thomas Rawls and Marshawn Lynch got hurt, former 2nd round pick Christine Michael came in and played well. In the off season, all he was offered was one year at the minimum.

I just don't see a mad rush to pick up Gaffney.

Same with Foster. It's true, a lot of teams were interested in signing him as a free agent, but none of them thought enough of him to draft him. And, he's played nine plays. I don't see him claimed

I'd be curious what they think of the cornerbacks....LeBlanc and Jones were not drafted, Darryl Roberts was a seventh rounder. Nobody thought they were that great.

Now, maybe the Patriots have found some diamonds in the rough and they should keep those guys -- but how many of them are the next Malcom Butler and how many are the next Zack Sudfeld?

Running backs are commodities. I see them cutting Gaffney, and nobody claiming him, so he goes to the practice squad.

I live in Seattle. Last year after Thomas Rawls and Marshawn Lynch got hurt, former 2nd round pick Christine Michael came in and played well. In the off season, all he was offered was one year at the minimum.

I just don't see a mad rush to pick up Gaffney.

Same with Foster. It's true, a lot of teams were interested in signing him as a free agent, but none of them thought enough of him to draft him. And, he's played nine plays. I don't see him claimed

I'd be curious what they think of the cornerbacks....LeBlanc and Jones were not drafted, Darryl Roberts was a seventh rounder. Nobody thought they were that great.

Now, maybe the Patriots have found some diamonds in the rough and they should keep those guys -- but how many of them are the next Malcom Butler and how many are the next Zack Sudfeld?

I still struggle with how a parent can name their son, "Christine"

I think Foster has a more valuable skill set than Gaffney. Drafted or not, his 3 cone and having played RB and WR in college is not too common. If we lost them both I'd feel like there was more risk that Foster would be missed going forward than Gaffney. I'd like to keep them both, though.

Take out the 1 best of 29. Take out the 1 best of 150-300. Does that sounds like sound stats to you ? I didn't think so.

Gaffney had the 44 yard run. He also had the short ones. Keep them all in, they happened.
You said to take the best run out of all the backs and they would be at 3 YPC, so that is what I did, now you are in a tizzy like it was my idea. Your post is below.
You can't do that, all RB would have YPC below 4.0 if you removed their best runs. 28-86 is actually fairly good considering that you did that.

You said to take the best run out of all the backs and they would be at 3 YPC, so that is what I did, now you are in a tizzy like it was my idea. Your post is below.
I've moved on but for the record, when I said "removed their best runs", while I can see how that could be interpreted as the best one run of each, that's not the sole interpretation. If that's what I meant I would have said "removed the best run of each". Clearly if you remove one run among 30 for one runner, if you compare to someone with 150 runs you'd need to remove the top 5. Taking out one of 30 has a very different impact than taking out one of 150.

Whatever, I'm made my point whether you agree with it or not. You can't take out someone's accomplishments then say they suck.

I've moved on but for the record, when I said "removed their best runs", while I can see how that could be interpreted as the best one run of each, that's not the sole interpretation. If that's what I meant I would have said "removed the best run of each". Clearly if you remove one run among 30 for one runner, if you compare to someone with 150 runs you'd need to remove the top 5. Taking out one of 30 has a very different impact than taking out one of 150.

Whatever, I'm made my point whether you agree with it or not. You can't take out someone's accomplishments then say they suck.
Never said he sucked I actually said I am a fan of his, I was just highlighting that the majority of his carries have not netted a lot of yards so he could be a practice squad candidate as I do not think he would be in high demand on the open market.

I haven't a clue why folks think that Foster will be among the 3% picked up next week after the cuts. Every team and every team's fans have folks that they would keep if they had a couple of more roster spots.

I haven't a clue why folks think that Foster will be among the 3% picked up next week after the cuts. Every team and every team's fans have folks that they would keep if they had a couple of more roster spots.
That's easy to say but we lost two TE this way a few years ago. It happens. Patriots always get more attention and Foster has rare athleticism. You may be right but you can't think of it that way. You have to assume that they're gone if you cut him; is that something you can live with? For me it's not as he could well be our best receiving back if he gets the chance.

That's easy to say but we lost two TE this way a few years ago. It happens. Patriots always get more attention and Foster has rare athleticism. You may be right but you can't think of it that way. You have to assume that they're gone if you cut him; is that something you can live with? For me it's not as he could well be our best receiving back if he gets the chance.

If Foster is considered potentially our best receiving back (over Lewis and White), then of course he will be on the 53.

All I am saying is that Belichick will keep the 53 who have the most value to the team. And yes, he could keep a couple of developmental players like Johnson, J Jones and or Foster who little would be expected from in 2016. Actually, Jones would likely have the most 2016 contributions.

The OPEN question is who to pick at the end. Belichick tends to favor special teamers like King and KGH (and Jones) who will likely contribute immediately over players like Foster and Johnson who would be buried in the depth chart.

AS AN ASIDE
The Practice Squad is NOT, is NOT, a place to stash backup players that we need now. For example, if Belichick thinks that a #3 TE is important, he will have one on the 53. After all, if the Practice Squad was a safe spot for backups, Belichick could put both Williams and Derby on the Pratice Squad.

A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE

Which of today's squad will be on the 53 for Game 3? This is after the team signs players from other teams. This is also after he potentially slips a veteran past Game One to avoid a full year guarantee.

If Foster is considered potentially our best receiving back (over Lewis and White), then of course he will be on the 53.
No, over White. For the foreseeable future, Lewis basically doesn't exist unfortunately. I suspect Bill would take White over Foster as he's a proven decent player. But if he gets a chance, I think Foster could be better due to his unquestioned athleticism and experience in college at both RB and WR. Tough guy to cut and hope to keep.

Nice looking list - A few points: 6 RB's seems like too many there. I used to think that only 1 spot existed for either Blount, Gaffney, and Foster. Now I think there might be 2 spots, but no way all 3. Foster will be a tough cut. Its possible, by the way, that the coaching staff considers James Develin more of a TE than a RB.

Also, I don't care how much guaranteed money Clay Harbor signed up for. He hasn't made a case for himself and Derby has totally outplayed him, (despite his dropped easy catch by Brady the other night). Harbor came here with the reputation of an "H back" but he hasn't shown anything.

As for Terrance Knighton, his post-game comments reveal that he knows his days are numbered here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News