PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Picker 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
What on earth has Lucien done better than Mitchell?

Agreed.

Goheels, is Lucien your binky?

I can respect that but Lucien over Mitchell must be based on something other than on field performance, where all the reports about Mitchell have been glowing, and very promising.

If Lucien makes it it won't be at Mitchell's expense.

I'd keep Grissom instead of Roberts. Otherwise, this roster is fine.

I think they'll find a way to keep both Roberts and J. Jones. Promising young CBs are too valuable a commodity to let go.

Here's my first pass, which assumes Amendola, Ebner and Brady remain ineligible, Vollmer and Lewis activated:

QB (2) J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) D.Lewis, L.Blount, T.Gaffney, D.Brown, J.Develin
WR (5) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, D.Carter, K.Martin
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, C.Harbor
C (1) D.Andrews
G (4) J.Thuney, S.Mason, J.Kline, T.Karras
T (4) N.Solder, S.Vollmer, L.Waddle, M.Cannon
DE (4) R.Ninkovich, T.Flowers, J.Sheard, C.Long
DT (5) M.Brown, A.Branch, T.Knighton, M.Kuhn, V.Valentine
ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Freeny
OLB(3) J.Collins, S.McClellin, K.Grugier-Hill
CB (6) M.Butler, L.Ryan, J.Coleman, C.Jones, D.Roberts, J.Jones
SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, B.King
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2015

I don't believe that both Gaffney & Donald Brown beat out both Bolden & Jimmy White;

Nor do I believe that DeAndre Carter will beat out both Dropson & the Patriot Nathaniel Washington;

I would replace DT Markus Kuhn with either DE Rufus Johnson or DE/OLB GeeNo Grossem; The loss of Ninkovich supersedes the luxury of a 5th DT.

I would replace the lumbering, unaware Jonny Freeny with the speed & instincts of Ramon Humber and Elandon Roberts;

Brandon King didn't help his cause last night, and has zero chances as a positional player. I'd rather keep the 6th LB (Humber, Elandon Roberts) or the 6th CB (Jonathan Jones) ahead of him.

Daryl Roberts was uneven. He needs a couple of stellar games to guarantee his spot on the team.

I don't believe that both Gaffney & Donald Brown beat out both Bolden & Jimmy White;

Nor do I believe that DeAndre Carter will beat out both Dropson & the Patriot Nathaniel Washington;

I would replace DT Markus Kuhn with either DE Rufus Johnson or DE/OLB GeeNo Grossem; The loss of Ninkovich supersedes the luxury of a 5th DT.

I would replace the lumbering, unaware Jonny Freeny with the speed & instincts of Ramon Humber and Elandon Roberts;

Brandon King didn't help his cause last night, and has zero chances as a positional player. I'd rather keep the 6th LB (Humber, Elandon Roberts) or the 6th CB (Jonathan Jones) ahead of him.

Good post.

BB likes 4-5 fatties. With Branch, Brown, Valentine and Pot Roast locks I tend to agree that Kuhn is a long shot.

I don't see King going anywhere.

Freeny needs to go. Too erratic for me an a liability in coverage.

I like Jones a lot. I think hes ahead of Roberts now.

I like the fact that every possible 53 leaves someone we can flip for my power back. Hope springs eternal.

QB-Garoppolo-Brissett (2)
RB-Gaffney-Bolden (2)
3DRB-Lewis-White (2)
FB-Develin (1)
X WR-Hogan-Mitchell-Martin (3)
Z WR-Edelman-Amendola (2)
TE-Gronkowski-Bennett (2)
LT-Solder-Waddle (2)
LG-Thuney-Kline (2)
OC-Andrews-Stork (2)
RG-Cooper-Mason (2)
RT-Vollmer-Cannon (2)

LE-Long-R Johnson (2)
NT-Branch-Knighton (2)
DT-Brown-Valentine (2)
RE-Sheard-Flowers (2)
SLB-Ninkovich-McClellin (2)
MLB-Hightower-Freeney (2)
WLB-Collins-Grugier-Hill (2)
LCB-Butler-Roberts (2)
RCB-Ryan-C Jones (2)
NB-Coleman-J Jones (2)
FS-McCourty-Harmon (2)
SS-Chung-Richards (2)

K-Gostkowski (1)
P-Allen (1)
LS-Cardona (1)
ST-Slater-Ebner (2)

SUSP-Brady (1)
PUP-Jackson (1)
PS-Foster-Derby-Lucien-Karras-Grissom-E Roberts-LeBlanc-King-Carter (9)

QB-Garoppolo-Brissett (2)
RB-Gaffney-Bolden (2)
3DRB-Lewis-White (2)
FB-Develin (1)
X WR-Hogan-Mitchell-Martin (3)
Z WR-Edelman-Amendola (2)
TE-Gronkowski-Bennett (2)
LT-Solder-Waddle (2)
LG-Thuney-Kline (2)
OC-Andrews-Stork (2)
RG-Cooper-Mason (2)
RT-Vollmer-Cannon (2)

LE-Long-R Johnson (2)
NT-Branch-Knighton (2)
DT-Brown-Valentine (2)
RE-Sheard-Flowers (2)
SLB-Ninkovich-McClellin (2)
MLB-Hightower-Freeney (2)
WLB-Collins-Grugier-Hill (2)
LCB-Butler-Roberts (2)
RCB-Ryan-C Jones (2)
NB-Coleman-J Jones (2)
FS-McCourty-Harmon (2)
SS-Chung-Richards (2)

K-Gostkowski (1)
P-Allen (1)
LS-Cardona (1)
ST-Slater-Ebner (2)

SUSP-Brady (1)
PUP-Jackson (1)
PS-Foster-Derby-Lucien-Karras-Grissom-E Roberts-LeBlanc-King-Carter (9)

Nice list, though I would drop Cannonfodder (and save money to boot) in favor of a 3rd TE or 6th WR;
and I would also drop Freeny in favor of Humber.

After preseason game one... not counting suspensions and assuming health and everyone is back the final roster will look like this imo

QB (3) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett - No surprises. Keep all your QBs. Nothing to add.

RB (5) D.Lewis, T.Gaffney, J.White, B.Bolden, J.Develin - Cutting Blount for Gaffney is a big move. However it has less to do with Gaffney than Blount. Blount simply lacked explosion and quickness and speed. He can get a few good runs but Gaffney can occasionally break one given a big hole. Blount can't. White showed again while his skill set is limited his strengths demand to be carried. He is a legit pass catching back up RB and better than most we could get in that role. Bolden/Develin for STs and power run.

WR (6) J.Edelman, D.Amendola, M.Mitchell, C.Hogan, K.Martin, M.Slater - On my roster Dobson fails to beat out Martin. Dobson can not play STs. So he needs to be clearly a step ahead of Martin. Until he proves he is he is gone.

TE (3) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, A.Derby - Derby keeps getting better. Solid hold on the 3 spot. I doubt anyone will throw him off. Besides being the only healthy decent 3rd TE he is actually playing at an NFL level it seems. Not a game breaker but a solid back up.

C (2) B.Stork, D.Andrews - If Stork stays healthy you keep him and you can't cut Andrews. Also stork can back up Guard.

G (4) J.Thuney, T.Karras, S.Mason, J.Kline - I could not bring myself to cut any of these guys. Thuney looks one spot down and Karras is perhaps your starter next year. Kline is a solid vet and Mason can be a OIL backup for all 3 spots and can blow up runs and be a goal line specailist or run play specailist as of now and if he builds on his game to include good pass blocking will be a very good Guard. Cooper being cut is tough but you need to be healthy. If he comes on idk.

T (3) N.Solder, S.Vollmer, L.Waddle - Maybe a fantasy that Cannon is cut. I simply do not see the difference between him and Waddle and Thuney can be an emergency OT. Next year draft an OT but for now this is the best we can do. Need health at these spots.

DE (4) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, T.Flowers, C.Long - Grissom and Johnson both can make the practice squad. Also though i put him under OLB McCellin is your 5th DE and edge guy.

DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, T.Knighton, V.Valentine - Kuhn was one of the hardest cuts to make. I wanted to keep him but in the end we don't need 5 big guys. Either he or Branch walk. I chose to keep Branch but is is very close.

ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Freeny - Freeny is a solid player and has size. Nothing special but okay and does well on STs. Hightower is Hightower.

OLB(3) J.Collins, S.McClellin, K.Grugier-Hill - McCellin backs up OLB and KGH seems like a good STer and has good instincts and can cover well. He hits with a purpose. Collins is Collins.

CB (5) M.Butler, L.Ryan, C.Jones, J.Coleman, J.Jones - A few hard choices to make here. In the end I keep these 5 and choose not to carry another.

SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, B.King - Chung is a very good SS and Richards beast at the LOS and is working on his TE coverage. King is kept for STs.

FS (3) D.McCourty, D.Harmon, Ebner - Not much needs to be said for McCourty or Harmon. Ebner is kept for STs. In the found I could not cut either King or Ebner. They are such a dynamic duo and with Slater give us one of the best STs unites in the NFL. We keep both and ride it.

ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona - Nothing needs to be said here.

PS: LeBlanc - CB*, Grissom - DE, Flemming - OT, Halipio - G, DJ Foster- RB, Carter - WR, Roberts - CB.

Those guys i look to keep but i am flexible on many. LeBlanc right now is my priority keep.

Last edited:
Dobson can not play STs. So he needs to be clearly a step ahead of Dobson.

You made a great lapsus there - Dobson needs to be a step ahead of Dobson.
-
Cutting Cooper will be tough for many reasons. IR looks like a better option with the changed rules.
-
All in all I wonder if they would go straight in making 53 or more tactical?
Would they keep Vollmer on PUP (its really getting late for him to connect with new OL - and glueing 5 guys was priority #1 for Dante; on PUP he has 5 weeks of practice...) and Amendola as well but in this case from the tactical aspect - saving him for the second part of the season - although its risky since no top 5 WR is fully healthy at the moment. In any case with the situation at hand Washington is still a legit candidate.
The same goes for PS - will they care about waivers or go straight cutting future potential willing to lose them (Derby, Karras, Grissom f.e.)?
And to complicate matters more there are guys they are closely watching on other teams (I dont believe OL is in play there but RB for sure) ...

Last edited:
Seems like Blount is being cut in most projections that I 'm seeing lately. He is becoming the least surprising surprise cut.

No matter how difficult it seems to us to try and squeeze all of our favored players onto the roster, it seems that BB always cuts below the limit and picks up cuts from other teams.

I may think my binky Derby, is a lock to make the roster, but then BB will cut him in the next to last cut down, and make no effort to bring him back.

I guess that is why BB makes the big bucks and wins Superbowls.

So what is the deal with Vollmer? Is he on track to return, or is BB already working on acquiring another starting OT?

Seems like Blount is being cut in most projections that I 'm seeing lately. He is becoming the least surprising surprise cut.

No matter how difficult it seems to us to try and squeeze all of our favored players onto the roster, it seems that BB always cuts below the limit and picks up cuts from other teams.

I may think my binky Derby, is a lock to make the roster, but then BB will cut him in the next to last cut down, and make no effort to bring him back.

I guess that is why BB makes the big bucks and wins Superbowls.

So what is the deal with Vollmer? Is he on track to return, or is BB already working on acquiring another starting OT?

That is the case most years but not this year i think. Maybe he brings it down to 52 but not below that. This is the first camp i can remember him making so few roster moves. He likes what he has. If he were going to make it 52 then see what pops up here is how i think he does it.

Cut both Gaffney & Blount and look for a RB.
Cut Karras (try very hard to get him to the PS.. offer him a lot of PS money and see if anyone matches) and see if a guard comes loose.

That is about the only way i see him doing it. BB looks at his roster objectively and most years says "I have 50 or 51 NFL players. Lets cut the ones who are not up to snuff and see if i can get 2-3 more". I don't think he has tha issue this year. If anything this is a rare case of having more than 53 legit NFL players in camp. Rare but it can happen.

53 is an impossible game to play this year

instead of trimming down after the Bears game there are new additions
Anthony and Elandon to mention just the Johnsons&Roberts departement ...

QB Garoppolo Brissett (2)
RB Blount White Gaffney Bolden (4)
FB Develin (1)
WR Edelman Hogan Mitchell Martin Slater (5)
TE Gronkowski Bennett Derby (3)
OT Solder Cannon Waddle (3)
OG/C Thuney Cooper Andrews Mason Kline Karras (6)

DL Brown Valentine Knighton Branch A Johnson (5)
ED Sheard Ninkovich Long McClellin Flowers Grissom (6)
LB Collins Hightower Freeney Grugier-Hill (4)
CB Butler Ryan C Jones Coleman J Jones Roberts (6)
SAF McCourty Chung Harmon Richards Ebner (5)

K Gostkowski (1)
P Allen (1)
LS Cardona (1)

SUSP Brady (1)
PUP Amendola Vollmer Lewis Jackson (4)

RB (4) L.Blount, J.White, B Bolden, Gaffney
FB (1) J.Develin
WR (6) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, D.Amendola, A.Dobson, M.Mitchell, K.Martin
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, A.Derby
C (2) D.Andrews, B.Stork
G (4) J.Thuney, S.Mason, T.Karras, J.Kline
T (4) N.Solder, S.Vollmer, M.Cannon, L.Waddle
DE (5) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, C.Long, T.Flowers, G.Grissom
DT (4) T.Knighton, M.Brown, A.Branch, A.Johnson
ILB(1) D.Hightower
OLB(3) J.Collins, S.McClellin, J.Freeny
CB (5) M.Butler, L.Ryan, J.Coleman, C.Jones, D.Roberts/Jones
SS (2) P.Chung, J.Richards
ST (6) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, N.Ebner, M.Slater

Sus: Brady

PUP: Cooper, Lewis

Issues: Light at DT and LB. Depending on how they plan to use Nink. But our base D is really only 2 LB's and Chung. With 4 LB's it's still be the same make up as last year.

Surprises:
White: IMO he looks to be a break out candidate. His numbers last year when Lewis was down were very good. I think he has become a very solid 3rd down/receiving back.
Thunley: I have been extremely impressed with his pass pro in the 2 pre season games.

Bubble:
King: Great ST player. I just don't know who would be cut to make way. c\Carrying the 3 QB's is going to effect our designated ST roster spots in my view.
Dobson: If we decide to use that spot on a LB/DL. Plus There is a decision to be made when Brady Returns week 4.
Gaffney: Lewis comes back he's gone
A Johnson: If they want to go bigger inside. Kuhn/Vallentine. Neither have really impressed me this Pre season so far.
CB 5: Could insert any name here
Kline: If Cooper comes back healthy for RG. Kline has the highest salary and gave up pressure vs the Bears pretty consistently.

Even with Lewis, Jackson and Vollmer on PUP, this is difficult. If Mitchell, Amendola and Martin don't play this week, WR is a question mark. Same with Brown and RB.

RB (5) B.Bolden, J.Develin, J.White, D.Brown, L.Blount
WR (6) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola, K.Martin, M.Slater
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, A.Derby, M.Bennett
C (2) B.Stork, D.Andrews
G (4) S.Mason, J.Thuney, J.Cooper, T.Karras
T (3) N.Solder, L.Waddle, M.Cannon
DE (4) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, T.Flowers, C.Long
DT (5) M.Brown, V.Valentine, A.Johnson, M.Kuhn, A.Branch
ILB(2) E.Roberts, D.Hightower
OLB(3) J.Collins, K.Grugier-Hill, S.McClellin
CB (6) J.Coleman, M.Butler, D.Roberts, C.Jones, J.Jones, L.Ryan
SS (3) N.Ebner, B.King, P.Chung
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2015

Last edited:
RB (4) L.Blount, J.White, B Bolden, Gaffney
FB (1) J.Develin
WR (6) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, D.Amendola, A.Dobson, M.Mitchell, K.Martin
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, A.Derby
C (2) D.Andrews, B.Stork
G (4) J.Thuney, S.Mason, T.Karras, J.Kline
T (4) N.Solder, S.Vollmer, M.Cannon, L.Waddle
DE (5) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, C.Long, T.Flowers, G.Grissom
DT (4) T.Knighton, M.Brown, A.Branch, A.Johnson
ILB(1) D.Hightower
OLB(3) J.Collins, S.McClellin, J.Freeny
CB (5) M.Butler, L.Ryan, J.Coleman, C.Jones, D.Roberts/Jones
SS (2) P.Chung, J.Richards
ST (6) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, N.Ebner, M.Slater

Sus: Brady

PUP: Cooper, Lewis

Issues: Light at DT and LB. Depending on how they plan to use Nink. But our base D is really only 2 LB's and Chung. With 4 LB's it's still be the same make up as last year.

Surprises:
White: IMO he looks to be a break out candidate. His numbers last year when Lewis was down were very good. I think he has become a very solid 3rd down/receiving back.
Thunley: I have been extremely impressed with his pass pro in the 2 pre season games.

Bubble:
King: Great ST player. I just don't know who would be cut to make way. c\Carrying the 3 QB's is going to effect our designated ST roster spots in my view.
Dobson: If we decide to use that spot on a LB/DL. Plus There is a decision to be made when Brady Returns week 4.
Gaffney: Lewis comes back he's gone
A Johnson: If they want to go bigger inside. Kuhn/Vallentine. Neither have really impressed me this Pre season so far.
CB 5: Could insert any name here
Kline: If cooper comes back healthy for RG. Kline has the highest salary and gave up pressure vs the Bears pretty consistently.

Cooper is ineligible for the PUP and there's no way Valentine is cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back