PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here [merged 10x]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: 4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here (Merged 9X)

Something that just dawned on me, something similar happened on Sunday and nobody even mentioned it, because it worked.

I'm sure everyone seen it now, but Jones-Drew had a walk-in touchdown, but instead, he gave up the points, took a knee at the one, and then the Jags blatently tried to do anything BUT score until the clock ran down. The announcers said that was BRILLIANT for him to do that.

How is that similar? Well, both Jones-Drew and Del Rio decided they'd rather keep the ball away from their defense, and win the ball with their offense, and their kicker. Nobody cried how the defense was butthurt about that decision, no former Jags were all over ESPN saying how they'd be hurt about that.

Why? Because they made the kick and won the game. All is forgotten. It's amazing how the outcome of a play can turn a coach from an idiot to a genius. That's why many fans are just crazy and irrational.

If there were any fans out there who were saying 'That was the worst call he ever made', and would have 100% stuck to that saying if the refs gave them the spot they should have, then congrats, you're one of a rare breed. Most are saying it's the worst call because of the outcome imo, whether they admit it or not.

Next game I hope to see those same fans bashing more gamble, but successful plays saying they were stupid, and i'll respect them more.

Re: AdvancedNFLStats.com: 4th down call gave Pats best chance to win

Anyone else here think Ernie Adams had a role in the decision to go for it? Thinking like this has him written all over it. I don't disagree with the call.

BB might be listening to/relying on Adams a bit too much these days. It's not a coincidence that there have been too many execution, clock management and play-calling breakdowns on the field of late.

Belichick needs to hire more (and better) assistant coaches to delegate responsibility to and help him with player discipline on the field and the sidelines. He's basically trying to do it all right now--coaching up the players on the sidelinees, while letting the Wizard of OZ in the pressbox make too many strategic decisions at crucial moments in games.

Adams' magic has been wearing thin and the Pats need to get back to worrying about executing on the field more than relying on scheming and "out-thinking" the opponent.

was it ever discussed, what if they went for a touchdown on instead of a field goal the last time they scored?

What if when we recieved the ball after the kickoff. We ran four successive run plays backwards, killing as much clock as possible, taking the safety and free kicking it away..... Or how about if we had......:deadhorse:

Re: Why Bill B was right.... (Mathematically)

Here is some math...

The colts had 3 drives in the 4th quarter, and minus the INT, they were for 79 yards in 2:04 and 79 yards in 1:49. Both of which were TDs. Baring a good punt return from Indy they would of had to go 70 yards in about 1:50. Or you can put the game in the hands of your offense who put up 34 points on the best points against defense in the league.

Re: 4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here (Merged 9X)

I don't think the defense was gassed either. Time of possession favored the Pats in that game. What killed the Pats defense on the Colts 4th TD drive was the bogus PI play. In fact the defense played better than it looked. After all the Colts only scored 33% of the time when starting from their side of the field. Punting would have been safer. Let your defense play and try to stop PM from scoring on a 70+ yard drive and make them use up THEIR timeouts instead of burning all your own!

I've created a monster with this thread and I think it's pretty obvious nobody's going to change their minds despite the numbers. If you've decided to defend BB you're digging in your heels and he can do no wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a brilliant coach 99% of the time. But this time he took too big of a gamble and it backfired. For once he should have played it safe. But the team will move on from this. I just hope it doesn't put a shadow of doubt in their minds or shake their confidence when they have to play the Colts later in the playoffs.

To me it's almost as if the shadow of past losses might have affected BB's decision-making process. I mean losing to the Colts in the AFCCG after holding a big lead, and then losing to the Giants on that miracle Tyree catch. All those happened when the defense couldn't hold with 2 minutes to go. Perhaps those psychologically affected BB's otherwise cold machine-like calculations. Who knows. But it happened and we must move on.

Last edited:
Re: Belichick Under-Rated D's Performance, Over-Rated Manning, and Inconsistent Strat

Not sure I buy it, they had 2 TD in the last 3 posessions and the INT in the middle was a miscommunication issue not a forced INT. I know I had zero confidence in a stop if we punted.

If you had zero confidence in the D, then is it correct to assume that you thought it was stupid they played defense at all after conversion, and should have gotten the ball back sooner?

Re: 4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here (Merged 9X)

Something that just dawned on me, something similar happened on Sunday and nobody even mentioned it, because it worked.

I'm sure everyone seen it now, but Jones-Drew had a walk-in touchdown, but instead, he gave up the points, took a knee at the one, and then the Jags blatently tried to do anything BUT score until the clock ran down. The announcers said that was BRILLIANT for him to do that.

How is that similar? Well, both Jones-Drew and Del Rio decided they'd rather keep the ball away from their defense, and win the ball with their offense, and their kicker. Nobody cried how the defense was butthurt about that decision, no former Jags were all over ESPN saying how they'd be hurt about that.

Why? Because they made the kick and won the game. All is forgotten. It's amazing how the outcome of a play can turn a coach from an idiot to a genius. That's why many fans are just crazy and irrational.

If there were any fans out there who were saying 'That was the worst call he ever made', and would have 100% stuck to that saying if the refs gave them the spot they should have, then congrats, you're one of a rare breed. Most are saying it's the worst call because of the outcome imo, whether they admit it or not.

Next game I hope to see those same fans bashing more gamble, but successful plays saying they were stupid, and i'll respect them more.

Hmmmm... except draining the time and kicking a FG from the 1 is practically a gimme. If they botched the kick that would be on the special teams not the coach. What are the odds of missing a FG from the 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft