PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here [merged 10x]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: 4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here (Merged 9X)

I was shocked, obviously, although it was a first down.

If they knew they were going on 4th they should have run on 3rd. Then run again on 4th assuming they gained at least a few inches.

This is actually a good point. they took a TO before the drive started, going for it should have been talked about if 4th down and short comes up. You're right, they should of run on 3rd.

Belichick under-rated D's performance, over-rated Manning, and inconsistent strategy

I have three main points: the Patriots defense did a much better job than Belichick gives them credit for, Belichick seems absolutely (and irrationally) terrified of what Manning could do in a 2-minute drill, and that Belichick's end game strategy was inconsistent/incoherent.

1. The Patriots defense played well, even in the 4th quarter. Going into the 4th they had given up 14 total points to the vaunted Colts offense, including several punts and quick 3-and-outs all game. Before Belichick's ridiculous 4th down conversion call with 2 minutes left, here are the Colts' last 7 drives against the Patriots D (in chronological order):

· Three plays, no yards, punt.
· Five plays, 16 yards, punt.
· Four plays, 24 yards, interception.
· Six plays, 16 yards, punt.
· Five plays, 79 yards, touchdown.
· One play, zero yards, interception.
· Six plays, 79 yards, touchdown.

It was hardly a meltdown. One TD drive was helped by a bogus pass interference penalty, and Manning threw wobbly crappy interceptions on two of those drives. This defense is not the 2006 melt-down defense, and I think Belichick unfairly had 2006 imprinted on his mind when it came to this year's defense.

2. Belichick coaches now like he's terrified of Manning. Manning is in his head, in an over-rated way now. The chance that Manning could pull off an epic 70 yard TD drive, with 2 minutes left and 1 timeout, is unlikely. It's not even a 50/50 shot, likely less than even a 1/3 shot. Manning lifetime has 40 game-winning drives since 1998, and if you look at how many were with such minimal time and the yardage required, it shows just how rare these comebacks happen even for a QB like Manning.

3. Belichick's end-game strategy was inconsistent. If he wanted his offense to win it and didn't trust the defense, then his defense should have known to lay down if their conversion failed. Belichick claimed that he knew he would go for it on 4th, but if so, why did he pass on both 3rd and 4th down instead of run it? Why did Brady and the offense look confused/shocked to learn they were going out there after the punting unit started going on the field? Why take Brady out of shot gun, and put Faulk in motion out wide?

Going back earlier, if Belichick was going to go for it anyways and didn't trust a 6-pt lead, then why kick the FG earlier in the 4th quarter? Why didn't he go for it then and try to get a TD?

AND YES!! it WAS a first down. The ref tried to get too cute with the call saying Faulk bobbled it. Only because it meant the game. Any other time during the game, he wouldn't have made that call in my opinion

Re: Belichick Under-Rated D's Performance, Over-Rated Manning, and Inconsistent Strat

ironically last yr he called atimeout on a succesful 4th down conversion and kicked aFG. this time it was the opposite. he out thought himself. But i think our offense also messed up chances to put the game away multiple times. Became conservative and lack of a running game didnt help.

Re: 4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here (Merged 4X)

I have been arguing the point on its own merits. You're a smart cookie, Brady, but you have not been paying attention. If his statististical analysis is correct (I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one) then there would be a 40% chance that the first down attempt would fail right? So if you're staring across the field at Peyton Manning, why would you not think that the 40% chance is too big of a one? This is something that has yet to be explained in this thread. But I let it go. In an attempt to dumb things down so that he would understand, I made that analogy. I think it's an apt one as giving Manning the ball at the 28 is pretty much a real life equal to running across a live gun range. And that's where we are now.

I'll grant, for the sake of argument, that the likelihood of the Colts scoring a TD was 100% if we failed to convert that 4th and 2. I'll also grant that the Pats win the game in they convert there. So if you go for it, your chance of winning is equal to your chance of converting. Sure, let's say 60%. If you go for it, you have a 60% chance of winning the football game

You say that that 40% chance is inherently too high. It's self-evidently too high. I say that you can't make that call unless you evaluate the Colts' chance of scoring the touchdown even after the punt. Considering that Manning had led a 70+ yard TD drive in under 2 minutes mere minutes before, and the subsequent 3-and-out would have put our defense back on the field sucking wind, demoralized, and facing a QB who had clearly figured it out... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chances of Manning shredding that defense for 60 yards over the subsequent 2 minutes were greater than 40%. Some will disagree, and if you disagree on those grounds, then that's the basis for a fruitful discussion.

To say that the 40% is self-evidently too much, though, without any thought at all for the chance of scoring even if we punt, is just tremendously flawed. You're choosing between A and B without having any idea what B even is.

It doesn't. As a personal attack (which, by the way is the tell tale sign that your opponent has been defeated and has no other points... for anyone that has actually taken Critical Thinking) was put on me which called out my intelligence and critical thinking skills, I felt it necessary to respond with that just to show how ridiculous that claim was. Really wasn't meant as anything else.

Fair enough- and maybe you had trumped makewayhomer's argument. Doesn't prove anything, though, since he was one of a whole lot of people arguing that point, and he may or may not have been arguing it very well.

I already know enough about variable A, and that's that variable A failed and resulted in giving Manning the ball at the 28.

You can only evaluate decisions based on information that was available at the time. I'm sure that if Belichick had the ability to magically look into the future and know that the Pats wouldn't convert, he would have punted it.

Variable A also includes 0 timeouts to stop the clock should the Colts get the ball. So, by choosing Variable B you are essentially play it safe/close to the vest.

Same mistake- do you really thing that it's playing it safe to give Manning the ball with 2 minutes left when, not 2 minutes prior, he led an 80 yard touchdown drive in under 2 minutes? I guess I just have a little more faith in our offense than you do, because I absolutely believe that we should be able to get 2 yards when we need to. I guess I'm also more worried about Manning than you are, since, as I'm seeing it, the Colts getting the ball back = losing the game.

When you're looking at gift wrapping one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game a 28 yard drive for a game winning score in a game with severe playoff implications, you always go with Variable B and punt the ball.

Gift-wrapping would be not even trying to keep the ball out of Peyton's hands.

How is that? I can see that we had a 55% chance of winning the game after we punted it away, but those chances are almost certainly lower if the 4th down conversion attempt fails (which is where my point about 40% being too high given where we were).

I already granted that, if the conversion fails, we have a 0% chance of winning the game. I will grant that it was guaranteed that the Colts would get a TD from the 29 (which it isn't, but I'll cede you that point for the sake of simplicity).

On top of that, Manning had already threw up a couple of ducks that were picked off. If we had punted and moved out of the prevent defense, which brought the Colts back into the game, our statistical chances to win the game go up.

Not ducks, exactly. They weren't poorly thrown balls- Reggie Wayne missed his read on that last int, and you're right that that *could* have happened again. They had figured our coverage out by that point, though, and our CBs were absolutely gassed. I agree that the chances of the Pats winning the game are still pretty decent if they punt- maybe even as high as 40%. I just trust our offense to gain 2 yards more than I trust our defense to prevent Manning from going 60.

One thing that I really can't stand, though, is people resorting to the "nobody has ever done this before, so it must be the wrong decision" defense. I expected that to come from a lot of people, but the fact that some of our quality posters (Deus and Kontra) are using it is a little confusing. Next time Belichick makes an unorthodox decision that pays off, I hope you'll be consistent enough to say "he's lucky it paid off, but it was still the wrong call because nobody else does it that way".

Last edited:

AND YES!! it WAS a first down. The ref tried to get too cute with the call saying Faulk bobbled it. Only because it meant the game. Any other time during the game, he wouldn't have made that call in my opinion

thats also quite true. a routine play ..the ref wouldnt have thought too much about the bobble to get the yards right for e.g if it was 2nd and 2 ,would they have observed the bobble and apply their theories as much ?

Re: Belichick Under-Rated D's Performance, Over-Rated Manning, and Inconsistent Strat

Our D played well. Not only are they thin at key positions, but very young. The effort they put forth yesterday with the play calling that was given to them, and all of the offensive miscues, and lack of agressiveness late in the game, IMO was admirable. BB and his staff not only got out coached after the half yet again, but this team is starting to look like they just want to lay down.

C'mon BB and Co. Lets be a bit more agressive. Let's get nasty. Let's stop gettin' leads and then trying to milk the clock. We dont have an active back on the roster right now that can fill that role. Light em up and sort it out after the game.

What a terrible feeling to watch that game. Total nightmare.

And you couldn't make these enthralling redundant points in an existing thread because you wanted more attention??

Not sure I buy it, they had 2 TD in the last 3 posessions and the INT in the middle was a miscommunication issue not a forced INT. I know I had zero confidence in a stop if we punted.

And you couldn't make these enthralling redundant points in an existing thread because you wanted more attention??

Given the many other topics currently listed on the forum where you could have said the same thing, you have zero point other than to continue to be a troll and be an a*s.

Given the many other topics currently listed on the forum where you could have said the same thing, you have zero point other than to continue to be a troll and be an a*s.

They aren't redundant. Some are silly, some are stupid and some are unique and looking at other aspects of the game. You're rehashing 4th and 2 which has already had multiple merges. Like the trollish a*s you in fact so often are.

This thread has gone beyond reading due to its length. Plenty of good arguments for both sides.

I'd like to make one point. You NEVER...EVER... let the other team score to take the lead with less than 2 minutes left.

I'll simply add that I really miss the days where in third and short situations most teams would just pound the ball with a fullback and get the yards.

I'll grant, for the sake of argument, that the likelihood of the Colts scoring a TD was 100% if we failed to convert that 4th and 2. I'll also grant that the Pats win the game in they convert there. So if you go for it, your chance of winning is equal to your chance of converting. Sure, let's say 60%. If you go for it, you have a 60% chance of winning the football game

You say that that 40% chance is inherently too high. It's self-evidently too high. I say that you can't make that call unless you evaluate the Colts' chance of scoring the touchdown even after the punt. Considering that Manning had led a 70+ yard TD drive in under 2 minutes mere minutes before, and the subsequent 3-and-out would have put our defense back on the field sucking wind, demoralized, and facing a QB who had clearly figured it out... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chances of Manning shredding that defense for 60 yards over the subsequent 2 minutes were greater than 40%. Some will disagree, and if you disagree on those grounds, then that's the basis for a fruitful discussion.
Where are you getting the 40% figure?

Where are you getting the 40% figure?

Using it in the context of Kontra's point. That's the percentage that he supplied, although my inclination is to believe that it should be higher. Didn't want to move the goalposts on the argument, though, when the point still stands either way.

I'd like to make one point. You NEVER...EVER... let the other team score to take the lead with less than 2 minutes left.

Here's another point. When you let a team that is going to score run down the clock to zero before they score, you Never....Ever win.

The problem is that they are NOT different topics, despite the efforts of some people to make it seem as if they are. They are all a part of the same greater analysis.

Hell, I'm a stats geek myself. I simply understand the need for context, and I consider that far more important than shining Belichick's shoes when he screws up as royally as he did last night.

If the team runs the ball on 3rd down and forced the Colts to use their timeout, that changes the equation, because the Patriots would have had time to make up their mind and get the proper personnel on the field, and they wouldn't have pissed away that final timeout. Had the team run the ball and gotten the game to the two minute warning, that would have changed the equation, because replay could still have come from the booth. However, neither of those things happened because of the bonehead decision on 3rd down.

What did happen was that the bonehead decision on 3rd down, coupled with the communications failure and subsequent burned timeout, changed the equation from "It's a short yardage play, but at least we can get a bad spot reviewed" to "It's a short yardage play, and a poor spot can screw us, because we can't get it reviewed".

To me, that makes going for it on 4th down, under those circumstances and with Manning getting the ball at the 30 if there is a failed conversion, a decision that's about as stupid as it gets, particularly when you add in the idea of going in the formation they chose and using Faulk rather than Maroney as the running back, which would have at least kept the defense honest. Short yardage plays are so often about the spot of the ball that relying on that without a challenge is just idiotic. They had the lead, for crying out loud, and they pissed it all away on one idiotic call.

I agree with that, given the plays that were called, it was a terrible decision. Therefore, on the whole, it was a bad sequence of choices. Maybe this thread needs some more clarity as far as what we're actually discussing: if we're talking about the net of it, then yeah, it was a bad call. If we're talking about going for it on 4th and 2 inside your 30 (as the thread title and OP states), then going for it is the right call.

Statistics provide you with a starting point: on 4th and 2, on your 29 yard line, up 6 points with 2 minutes left, going for it is the correct default decision. There are a number of context-based adjustments that you have to make, and to the extent that the debate stems from how those adjustments sway the decision, that's great debate fodder. Interesting debate, in the realm of some pretty abstract, unproven territory. Mostly, whatever percentages Belichick was using, they hinge upon the offense actually running an optimal short-yardage offense, which the Pats didn't do. Even a pair of QB sneaks almost certainly would have gotten us the necessary yardage.

Last edited:

They aren't redundant. Some are silly, some are stupid and some are unique and looking at other aspects of the game.

Several threads rehash the same topics, or are irrelevant, but don't let that stop you from pretending you don't have an ulterior personal trollish motive, which seems to present itself whenever we're both here.

BB knows what his team can do,I liked the call.They got a lousy spot.

I agree with that, given the plays that were called, it was a terrible decision. Therefore, on the whole, it was a bad sequence of choices. Maybe this thread needs some more clarity as far as what we're actually discussing: if we're talking about the net of it, then yeah, it was a bad call. If we're talking about going for it on 4th and 2 inside your 30 (as the thread title and OP states), then going for it is the right call.

This is also what I was arguing. I'm on record that the overall strategy was inconsistent and poorly thought out.

The Defense was playing horribly. To be honest...I'm not sure they could have stopped Manning even if they had punted. BB was obviously trying to keep the Offense on the field and ice the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents