PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd-Year Starter Mac Jones vs 3rd-Year Starter: Another Guy(s)

another QB comp:

QB 1- 14 W's & 24 L's. 63.4 comp %. 41 TD's. 27 int's.
QB 2- 17 W's & 18 L's. 66.1 comp %. 41 TD's. 28 int's.
QB 3 -5 W's & 24 L's. 60.5% comp %. 31 TD's. 26 int's.

It is obviously not a fair comparison between Brady and Jones. No one can seriously use these stats to argue Jones is in the same stratosphere as Brady.

But does bring up the impact of Belichick on this team in the early days. Belichick is getting a lot of criticism now and deservedly so, but 2003 is an important year to show how great of a head coach Belichick was (I don't think he still is). Brady and the offense was average to above at best in 2003 and the Pats won with defense and outcoaching the other teams. That year the Pats were 12th in scoring, 15th in 3rd conversions, 17th in total yards, and 9th in passing yards. Brady himself was sixth yards, but 10th in TDs, 17th in passer rating, he was the 10th most sacked QB, and 16th in completion percentage. It wasn't a good year for Brady and the offense.

I know I am opening a can of worms here, but I think it is important to give Belichick some credit for his past greatness because so many people including myself are questioning his coaching abilities today. My take is that he was once the greatest coach ever (and 2003 supports that), but the game may have passed him by.

It is obviously not a fair comparison between Brady and Jones. No one can seriously use these stats to argue Jones is in the same stratosphere as Brady.

But does bring up the impact of Belichick on this team in the early days. Belichick is getting a lot of criticism now and deservedly so, but 2003 is an important year to show how great of a head coach Belichick was (I don't think he still is). Brady and the offense was average to above at best in 2003 and the Pats won with defense and outcoaching the other teams. That year the Pats were 12th in scoring, 15th in 3rd conversions, 17th in total yards, and 9th in passing yards. Brady himself was sixth yards, but 10th in TDs, 17th in passer rating, he was the 10th most sacked QB, and 16th in completion percentage. It wasn't a good year for Brady and the offense.

I know I am opening a can of worms here, but I think it is important to give Belichick some credit for his past greatness because so many people including myself are questioning his coaching abilities today. My take is that he was once the greatest coach ever (and 2003 supports that), but the game may have passed him by.
The defense, always Bill's strength, was the key in 2003 and 2004, even with a bunch of injuries.

As for right now, it looks like Bill is constructing an offense for the 20's... the 1920's. :) I hope that whatever he's doing works.

Lol might as well compare Mac to a baseball player. Basically a completely different sport from Brady and Bledsoe's early days.

I agree with you on how great Bill was, he could come up with some mastermind defensive game plans especially against the Peyton led Colts.

I also think the 2003 and 2004 teams were stacked, I think they were the best teams, especially the 04 team with clock killing Dillon. Although Branch and Givens didn’t do much when they left, but the chemistry they had with Brady was really good. Regardless of the stats in 03 I think the offense was there and ready to excel when needed, for example the Carolina Super Bowl, when the defense couldn’t get a stop in the 4th quarter. After that, that’s probably when Bill and Charlie realized they could open it up with this Brady kid.

I agree with you on how great Bill was, he could come up with some mastermind defensive game plans especially against the Peyton led Colts.

I also think the 2003 and 2004 teams were stacked, I think they were the best teams, especially the 04 team with clock killing Dillon. Although Branch and Givens didn’t do much when they left, but the chemistry they had with Brady was really good. Regardless of the stats in 03 I think the offense was there and ready to excel when needed, for example the Carolina Super Bowl, when the defense couldn’t get a stop in the 4th quarter. After that, that’s probably when Bill and Charlie realized they could open it up with this Brady kid.

The Super Bowl for the 2003 season was a bit of an anomaly. Both New England and Carolina that year were known for their defense and not their offenses. But the game turned into a track meet in the second half. But for most of that season, the Patriots lived off the defense and the offense was inconsistent (Nine point vs the Browns, no points in the first Bills game, 12 points vs the Cowboys and Dolphins during the infamous post-blizzard game).

The Super Bowl for the 2003 season was a bit of an anomaly. Both New England and Carolina that year were known for their defense and not their offenses. But the game turned into a track meet in the second half. But for most of that season, the Patriots lived off the defense and the offense was inconsistent (Nine point vs the Browns, no points in the first Bills game, 12 points vs the Cowboys and Dolphins during the infamous post-blizzard game).
20 years ago, the 2003 Pats finished with the 12th ranked offense. The Passing offense was it's strength - 6th in attempts, 9th in passing yards and 11th in TDs.

Currently, the Corky led Pats offense sits at 30th in today's NFL. The Corky Pats were ranked 22nd prior to the Dallas disaster.

The Pat's will never get to another Super Bowl without tickets until they fix the QB.

I am all in to fire BB if he gives Corky another dime above his rookie deal.

20 years ago, the 2003 Pats finished with the 12th ranked offense. The Passing offense was it's strength - 6th in attempts, 9th in passing yards and 11th in TDs.

Currently, the Corky led Pats offense sits at 30th in today's NFL. The Corky Pats were ranked 22nd prior to the Dallas disaster.

The Pat's will never get to another Super Bowl without tickets until they fix the QB.

I am all in to fire BB if he gives Corky another dime above his rookie deal.

What did my post have to do with Mac Jones? The only thing I said you cannot compare Brady to Mac. Why is everything with you about Mac Jones?

Trying to lighten the mood. Both obviously dealt with some adversity early on, albeit one clearly had a better resume and never lost again after that week until 2004 (Week 8 at Pittsburgh [34-20]). You know, minor details. :cool:

But that doesn't change the fact I'm curious to see how Jones responds. One factor I had forgotten about is that this one will be at home...guessing it's going to be a rough crowd and I don't know how well that's going to go.
I can always count on you Ian for hope and optimism! Thank you for that stat... looking at it realistic Mac is the least of the problem with this offense.. the Line has been terrible.. he has no run game whatsoever. No one at WR other than KB and Douglas can seem to get open. Juju IMO isn't right, and he should just be put on IR until he is.. what happened to BBs " doing what is in the best in of the team"?.. Douglas clearly needs to be playing starters snaps.

I'm sure he takes the blame for the terrible throws against Dallas as he should. We see another stout defense in NO.. Hopefully we see a much better performance. This team needs confidence!

Reactions: Ian
Yes. Why is it that Thornton is only called upon to do the deep ball. Get him open in space and let him run.
IMO it should be Douglas, KB, and Boutte starting next week.. let juju and Parker earn thier playing time. They've been non factors. Agreed let TT get loose in space and stretch the defense.

One of those will have won the Super Bowl MVP.
One of those will have made the playoffs.
One of those will have missed the playoffs.

Mac Jones Through Four Games (2023)
93/146 (63.7%) 898yds 5 TDs 4 INTs 7 Sacks | Record (1-3)
*Lost one contest by 35 points

Tom Brady Through Four Games (2003)
84/135 (62.2%) 848yds 5 TDs 7 INTs 10 Sacks | Record (2-2)
*Lost one contest by 31 points

Just looked it up for the heck of it and thought it was interesting. :whistle:

Edit: One More:
Drew Bledsoe Through Four Games (1995)
100/205 1,058yds 0 TDs 5 INTs 7 Sacks
Record (1-3)
*Lost one contest by 25 points
Brady threw 4 interceptions week one that year, 3 in week four and then only 5 the rest of the season. The Patriots finished the year on a 12 game winning streak.

Stats can be misleading. Mac hasn’t been good since the wind bowl in Buffalo when he only got to throw 3 passes. I’m not sure if he was damaged mentally by that or it’s just coincidence but since then he is 8-16 with 22 interceptions. Tom Brady didn’t lose 16 games in his career until early 2005.

What did my post have to do with Mac Jones? The only thing I said you cannot compare Brady to Mac. Why is everything with you about Mac Jones?
Because every post from you is about Corky Jones.

Rewriting Pats history will not make Corky better.

Because every post from you is about Corky Jones.

Rewriting Pats history will not make Corky better.

No! You anti-Mac crowd think everything I post is about Mac Jones because you guys are obsessed with him and think I am his biggest defender. It is clear my post was about Belichick and the 2003 showing how of a head coach he is. Other than saying it is stupid to put Jones in the same stratosphere as Brady, you would have twist yourself like a pretzel to try to say my post had anything to do with Mac Jones.

And I didn't rewrite history. I accurately portrayed it backed up with facts. And none of what I said about 2003 diminishes what Brady did in his career or makes Jones look more favorable to Brady's early career.

No! You anti-Mac crowd think everything I post is about Mac Jones because you guys are obsessed with him and think I am his biggest defender. It is clear my post was about Belichick and the 2003 showing how of a head coach he is. Other than saying it is stupid to put Jones in the same stratosphere as Brady, you would have twist yourself like a pretzel to try to say my post had anything to do with Mac Jones.

And I didn't rewrite history. I accurately portrayed it backed up with facts. And none of what I said about 2003 diminishes what Brady did in his career or makes Jones look more favorable to Brady's early career.
You're trying to peddle a faux narrative that the 2003 NE offense was inconsistent. They were ranked 12th.

The motive for this snake oil pitch is to take the focus off the 2023 Pats abysmal offense.

You took a brief break from blame and excuses as the reasons for Corkys failure, but are back spinning like top.

Very few people here believe you.

You're trying to peddle a faux narrative that the 2003 NE offense was inconsistent. They were ranked 12th.

The motive for this snake oil pitch is to take the focus off the 2023 Pats abysmal offense.

You took a brief break from blame and excuses as the reasons for Corkys failure, but are back spinning like top.

Very few people here believe you.

They were inconsistent. There were four games that season where they scored 12 points or less. That is 25% of the season.

And again it has nothing to do with Jones because there is no comparisons to Brady.

I counted the number of starting QBs who aren't better than Mac Jones. For most people, I think that number is in the 8-10 range. He's in the bottom third of the league. He needs to improve to become mediocre. A team with as little talent across the board as this one is going nowhere with a QB like this. I think 6 wins is a lot to expect from this team this year.

They were inconsistent. There were four games that season where they scored 12 points or less. That is 25% of the season.

And again it has nothing to do with Jones because there is no comparisons to Brady.
Inconsistent is 50 - 50 and not 75 - 25.

Look at it this way. Corky has played 4 games and wound up on the losing end 3 times.

That and the fact people are upset with comparing Mac - or any Patriots QB - to Brady is unfair. While I understand the frustration, it's a little unrealistic. This is a team that's only had three quarterbacks play more than one consecutive season since 1993. So it's going to be tough for Brady's name not to come up. Albeit, Mac's name will at least be there to be used against the next one.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back