PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Through 2 Games (2021 vs 2022 vs 2023) By QTR and Redzone Totals

What a weird thing to say. It’s strange to be a “anyone but Mac” person just because. So, if all of a sudden he starts settling down and they start winning, you’re still going to wish they had somebody else?

I just seriously don’t get it. I mean, that’s obviously your prerogative, but it’s just weird that you’ve already written him off to the point where even if he does well, you don’t want him.
Just three games later and is it still a weird thing to say? The evidence was there.

Just three games later and is it still a weird thing to say? The evidence was there.
Considering he's done this ... I would have to say I guess not.
wile e. coyote fall GIF by Looney Tunes

Following this thread is hilarious. The way all the Mac defenders disappeared like a puff of smoke.

@Ian please post the yearly comparisons through 5 games. I'm interested in seeing the trend.

As I said, I’ll also do the same thing at various points as the year goes on. And, again, maybe he gets better, maybe he doesn’t.

Considering he's done this ... I would have to say I guess not.
wile e. coyote fall GIF by Looney Tunes
max-kellerman-4ae2c48bcd8986e910d7297f9a6fbced.jpg

He was almost right just had the wrong QB. Lol

Reactions: Ian
Following this thread is hilarious. The way all the Mac defenders disappeared like a puff of smoke.

@Ian please post the yearly comparisons through 5 games. I'm interested in seeing the trend.
2021 Stats (Through 5 Games)
135/190 (71.1%) 1243yds 5 TDs 5 INTs

2022 Stats (Through 5 Games [not including injury & includes Bears Game]) [@MIA, @PIT, BAL, CHI, @NYJ]
91/138 (65.9%) 993yds 3 TDs 7 INTs

2023 Stats (Through 5 Games)
105/168 (62.5%) 1008yds 5 TDs 6 INTs

Last edited:
2021 Stats (Through 5 Games)
135/190 (71.1%) 1243yds 5 TDs 5 INTs

2022 Stats (Through 5 Games [not including injury & includes Bears Game])
91/138 (65.9%) 993yds 3 TDs 7 INTs

2023 Stats (Through 5 Games)
105/168 (62.5%) 1008yds 5 TDs 6 INTs

Forgot how horrible his start was last year. Maybe he’ll bounce back to respectability again.

max-kellerman-4ae2c48bcd8986e910d7297f9a6fbced.jpg

He was almost right just had the wrong QB. Lol
Zappe is 7-of-18 (38.9%) for 79yds and just 1/7 (14.3%) on third down. So apparently, he fell off the cliff also.

Pretty sure anyone who felt good about Zappe last year (@venecol) is hopefully realistic enough to know that he didn't also suddenly suck this bad and the issues in this offense extend well beyond the quarterback. ;)

That being said, Mac's demeanor has more to do with me pulling back support than anything else. I see too much resignation there and not enough accountability/improvement, which is frustrating.

And if Zappe goes on to figure it out before Mac does, I'm obviously good with that. Same with Grier. It's always been about giving whoever the starter is a little patience since having to go back to the well at quarterback will cost this club years and I'm pretty sure none of us want that.

Zappe is 7-of-18 (38.9%) for 79yds and just 1/7 (14.3%) on third down. So apparently, he fell off the cliff also.

Pretty sure anyone who felt good about Zappe last year (@venecol) is hopefully realistic enough to know that he didn't also suddenly suck this bad and the issues in this offense extend well beyond the quarterback. ;)

That being said, Mac's demeanor has more to do with me pulling back support than anything else. I see too much resignation there and not enough accountability/improvement, which is frustrating.

His body language after the RB toss fumble :mad:

• Agree
His body language after the RB toss fumble :mad:
The broadcast caught Stevenson looking his way on the other end of the bench multiple times after they came off the field, and he didn't look happy - and I certainly don't blame him, given Jones' reaction after that play.

There is nothing to defend right now. Jones is broken right now. He is a lot better than he played the last two weeks, but right now he is completely broken. Part of it isn't his fault because he was dealt a crap hand by Belichick, but it is his fault that he let his crap situation get to him so bad. But the way he played the last two weeks is indefensible.

I still think there is a potential he can be good if he is in a "perfect" situation like Tua has in Miami or Purdy in San Fran. But because he had these meltdowns the last two weeks and one against the Raiders last year, I don't think I would trust him long term. Particularly because you cannot maintain a perfect situation like you see in Miami or San Fran for more than several years. Players like Hill, McCaffrey, Samuel, Waddle, etc. are going to either break down or many of them will get too expensive to keep. Three years for now or even sooner, Tua is likely not going to have all the weapons with speed he has now and he is probably going to regress to closer to what he was in 2021 or before.

To finally set the record straight - for all who hate "Mac supporters".
We're simply saying:
1. Mac is the best option at this juncture for this current team. (he is far from perfect)
2. Mac deserves a chance to show if he can improve, if/when the OL and WR corp improves (they have been piss poor as well)
3. Mac has not shown he is worthy of being the QB after this year, but neither has the coaches & players around him
4. No other imported QB would suddenly thrive with our current offense (Zappe, Malik, Grier or TFB)

There is nothing to defend right now. Jones is broken right now. He is a lot better than he played the last two weeks, but right now he is completely broken. Part of it isn't his fault because he was dealt a crap hand by Belichick, but it is his fault that he let his crap situation get to him so bad. But the way he played the last two weeks is indefensible.

I still think there is a potential he can be good if he is in a "perfect" situation like Tua has in Miami or Purdy in San Fran. But because he had these meltdowns the last two weeks and one against the Raiders last year, I don't think I would trust him long term. Particularly because you cannot maintain a perfect situation like you see in Miami or San Fran for more than several years. Players like Hill, McCaffrey, Samuel, Waddle, etc. are going to either break down or get too expensive to keep. Three years for now or even sooner, Tua is likely not going to have all the weapons with speed he has now and he is probably going to regress to closer to what he was in 2021 or before.
I think the issue that irks me is that, granted, he's probably hearing from his camp (which leaked out to FoxSports) that it's not his fault, it's the people around him, which to an extent, is accurate. At the same time, it doesn't change the fact he was able to play significantly better in the first two weeks, and these last two have been him seemingly giving up each time things begin to unravel.

That being said, his fundamentals, football, mechanics, are a mess right now, and we're not even seeing any improvement in that area, which tells me he's not working on it as hard as he claims to. If he can't fix the basic stuff, it's not going to help him with the rest. And it feels like he's starting to place the blame more elsewhere rather than accepting any himself. I'd feel better if it felt like that wasn't the case, but that's the concerning part and Breer sort of alluded to the fact that his camp has done things like this in the past (making excuses for him), even going back to Alabama.

Last edited:
To finally set the record straight - for all who hate "Mac supporters".
We're simply saying:
1. Mac is the best option at this juncture for this current team. (he is far from perfect)
2. Mac deserves a chance to show if he can improve, if/when the OL and WR corp improves (they have been piss poor as well)

3. Mac has not shown he is worthy of being the QB after this year, but neither has the coaches & players around him
4. No other imported QB would suddenly thrive with our current offense (Zappe, Malik, Grier or TFB)
I think the first two sort of sums up where I was at last year with Mac vs Zappe. I never said I didn't like Zappe and said at the time that if Zappe was the QB, I'd have the same approach.

Most of us have been around watching the NFL long enough to know you have to give these young guys time to screw up in addition to seeing them initially succeed. The hope is that they'll learn from their mistakes and improve and I don't think I've ever seen another NFL team implode this badly after looking the way New England did during the first two weeks. They've gone backwards ever since.

And it's a concerning trend that - as I said - goes beyond the QB since I doubt Zappe suddenly completely lost it also.

Last edited:

Kellerman's cliff claims another one just not the guy he was talking about. Lol

Completely agree about Mac... for me it feels like he's moving into Zach Wilson territory in that area and that's not a compliment. I also don't want to hear about a guy we hope is our franchise QB getting pat on the back and verbally propped up like the team seems to be doing for him publicly. And I don't know if a McEnroe type really is leadership material.

Doesn't feel at this point that we'll get a true read on Mac with the state of the offense in general. Maybe the coaches already have that read and maybe the decision has already been made....

As for Zappe I think picking him in the 4th round and not Sam Howell who seems to be doing well in Washington is now looking like another BB draft blunder.

Last edited:
I think the issue that irks me is that, granted, he's probably hearing from his camp (which leaked out to FoxSports) that it's not his fault, it's the people around him, which to an extent, is accurate. At the same time, it doesn't change the fact he was able to play significantly better in the first two weeks, and these last two have been him seemingly giving up each time things begin to unravel.

That being said, his fundamentals, football, mechanics, are a mess right now, and we're not even seeing any improvement in that area, which tells me he's not working on it as hard as he claims to. If he can't fix the basic stuff, it's not going to help him with the rest. And it feels like he's starting to place the blame more elsewhere rather than accepting any himself. I'd feel better if it felt like that wasn't the case, but that's the concerning part and Breer sort of alluded to the fact that his camp has done things like this in the past, even going back to Alabama.

Well, it is clear that his mental make up is an issue. I dismissed a lot of the signs last year and some of the reports like Saban saying his biggest issues is he cannot control his emotions some times. And I shouldn't have. He just has let all of the things working against him get to him and it is affecting everything about his game from his mechanics and how he is seeing the field.

I am not sure it is an effort problem or that he has gotten into a funk and he has let everything that he does well and things he needs to do well go out the window. Every QB goes through something like this to a certain extent. Even Brady had games where he played like a scrub QB because he got sped up too much. My issue is how long this has gone on and the frequency it has happened. A good QB has one of these games and bounces back the next week.

Well, it is clear that his mental make up is an issue. I dismissed a lot of the signs last year and some of the reports like Saban saying his biggest issues is he cannot control his emotions some times. And I shouldn't have. He just has let all of the things working against him get to him and it is affecting everything about his game from his mechanics and how he is seeing the field.

I am not sure it is an effort problem or that he has gotten into a funk and he has let everything that he does well and things he needs to do well go out the window. Every QB goes through something like this to a certain extent. Even Brady had games where he played like a scrub QB because he got sped up too much. My issue is how long this has gone on and the frequency it has happened. A good QB has one of these games and bounces back the next week.
I'd agee with that if it wasn't for the fact there hasn't been a lack of improvement in his footwork, falling back, etc. If he looked solid in his mechanics, was stepping into his throws, etc. and it just wasn't happening, that would be one thing. The fact he's throwing with all arm and continuing to do the same things is what's alarming.

I'd agee with that if it wasn't for the fact there hasn't been a lack of improvement in his footwork, falling back, etc. If he looked solid in his mechanics, was stepping into his throws, etc. and it just wasn't happening, that would be one thing. The fact he's throwing with all arm and continuing to do the same things is what's alarming.
Saw a clip of Brock Purdy vs. Dallas. On coming rusher, Purdy steps into the throw, good mechanics, touchdown, crushed by pass rusher. Mac would have been falling back, throwing with no steam with just a prayer.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back