PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Through 2 Games (2021 vs 2022 vs 2023) By QTR and Redzone Totals

I don't think some fans are ever get over that we don't have Brady 2 and probably never will. He set the bar so high that no one can top it or equal it. I'm comparing Mac and this team to the pre Brady years that I lived through for many years.

Mac is a superb quarterback. He is severely hamstrung by problems in the o-line and WRs that cannot get open (or drop balls). I seriously doubt that there is another QB in the league that could do as much with such a limited supporting cast. Put Mac on the Dolphins with their WRs and watch him light it up, but here in New England he has to make do with the cards that were dealt him [gawd, it sucks so bad that Mac does not have Jacobi...]

Local radio is full of negative-nancy asshats who don't seem to understand the game. Don't listen to those douche bags; watch the game carefully.

And as far as BoB, he is operating under the same handicap as Mac. His play calling is way better than last year, but he does not have a lot of options when the o-line cannot open holes for the RBs or protect the QB for very long and the WRs cannot get open.

I don't get what you're all fired up about. Giardi says one good thing about Mac on a relatively innocuous stat, and you hopped all over multiple things, including the fact his source included two games of Brady's you disagree with. You've fired back two relatively angry posts, which more or less reveals what you're really upset about - Mac.

Not fired up, the NFL is just entertainment. Neither of the posts are angry. I just find it ironic that on the one hand there are posts saying not to compare Mac to Brady, and then there's the Giardi tweet...

Unfortunately Mac at year three is trending to be the floor of his abilities which is a poor man's Chad Pennington. That sucks but not totally unexpected. His arm is no stronger than last year. He can't hit tight windows consistently. His WR's are somehow worse than last season. That floor will get him a fifth year option pickup. I believe Bill's team philosophy means Mac isn't good enough to have regular success in the NFL.

As long as Bill is the GM, Mac is never going to have elite talent at the skill positions surrounding him.

To be fair then it doesn't even matter if we put mahomes back there we are never winning anything with Bill with that philosophy in today's NFL.

We are never going to win if you don't value the receiver position. It's elevated to become almost as important if not more so than QB.

Are dolphins putting up 70 on Denver swapping Hill with juju? Probably not.

We can put a million QBs back there with this line and receivers and it's not going to look much better if at all.

Look how we defended hill. 3 high safeties which left us vulnerable to the run and middle of the field.

Other teams look at our top receivers and laugh. Juju has a bum knee, Bourne is okay as a #2. And parker runs in quicksand and gets bodied.

Last edited:
Not fired up, the NFL is just entertainment. Neither of the posts are angry. I just find it ironic that on the one hand there are posts saying not to compare Mac to Brady, and then there's the Giardi tweet...
I think the Giardi Tweet was his way of letting people know that Jones isn't terrible more so than a Brady comparison. And that was a team stat, not an NFL-wide stat. There have only really been three guys here for more than a season since 1993 (Bledsoe, Brady, Mac), so not many guys to compare since, obviously, the ball is thrown more now compared to before that.
Unfortunately Mac at year three is trending to be the floor of his abilities which is a poor man's Chad Pennington. That sucks but not totally unexpected. His arm is no stronger than last year. He can't hit tight windows consistently. His WR's are somehow worse than last season. That floor will get him a fifth year option pickup. I believe Bill's team philosophy means Mac isn't good enough to have regular success in the NFL.
I don't think it will. If this year goes like last year, they'll pass and then try and extend him at a lower number just like the Giants did, and gamble knowing they have Zappe if he walks.

and gamble knowing they have Zappe if he walks.
Can't see Zappe on the roster next year. Don't think it will be that hard to replace him.

Again, stats are for losers, points are most important, not my quote but BB's

offensive points per game league rank:
Year 1: 6
Year 2: 17
Year 3: 26

still early, but that's not progress. Sure blame everyone but Mac for this, the refs, the weather, yada yada yada.
So, playing the Eagles (3-0), Dolphins (3-0), and the Defense projected as the second best in the NFL (Jets) in a rain-and wind game means nothing?

Your small sample size shrinks considerably when you consider who they played and in what conditions.

To be fair then it doesn't even matter if we put mahomes back there we are never winning anything with Bill with that philosophy in today's NFL.

We are never going to win if you don't value the receiver position. It's elevated to become almost as important if not more so than QB.

Are dolphins putting up 70 on Denver swapping Hill with juju? Probably not.

We can put a million QBs back there with this line and receivers and it's not going to look much better if at all.

Look how we defended hill. 3 high safeties which left us vulnerable to the run and middle of the field.

Other teams look at our top receivers and laugh. Juju has a bum knee, Bourne is okay as a #2. And parker runs in quicksand and gets bodied.
Mahomes?

He won a ring with Juju as his number one WR last season.

And before you mention Kelce, Hunter Henry is the third highest scoring TE in fantasy football right now… so don’t tell us he isn’t producing at a high level.

“Weapons” has nothing to do with the offensive line struggling to stay healthy the first two weeks.

Learn the game.

Can't see Zappe on the roster next year. Don't think it will be that hard to replace him.
I think he lasts another season, albeit part of that is going to depend on how this year goes. If this year goes poorly and they end up with a high enough pick, I think they'll draft someone and then shift the depth chart, which if Grier shows anything might bump him off. If this year goes well, I think Zappe is here through the offseason again, and then it will be those three in camp.

Again, I get it. I've at least unearthed with several people that they're clearly frustrated that Jones isn't Brady. And I say that in terms of him not having the same
ability as Brady so far in terms of closing out games, finishing comebacks, etc. Brady was a killer, and he could get it done.
Yeah, it's sort of like when a father remarries after a divorce, the kids never accept their new stepmother no matter what she does because she'll never be Mom. Except in our case after Mom dies, the kids go further and constantly scream that they want their father and stepmother to both die a horrible death...

I don't think some fans are ever get over that we don't have Brady 2 and probably never will. He set the bar so high that no one can top it or equal it. I'm comparing Mac and this team to the pre Brady years that I lived through for many years.
No one is expecting Brady again. This is a straw man argument. In fact, it was Mac supporter who brought up the Girardi tweet comparing Mac to Brady.
What most of us want as a fanbase is a team that wins and contending in the AFC. These last 4 years with the exception of Mac's rookie year have been a crap show of sorts ...

Reactions: Ian
No one is expecting Brady again. This is a straw man argument. In fact, it was Mac supporter who brought up the Girardi tweet comparing Mac to Brady.
What most of us want as a fanbase is a team that wins and contending in the AFC. These last 4 years with the exception of Mac's rookie year have been a crap show of sorts ...
it was a Mac supporter who brought up the Girardi tweet comparing Mac to Brady.”

Lol, you can say “Ian”…you don’t need to refer to me in third person. :)

And I didn’t post it to irritate people. Again, as I mentioned, we’ve had three QBs for more than one season since 1993. Going to be tough for Brady’s name to not be brought into some of these as anybody, regardless of who it is, accumulates any type of longevity. It’s not a direct comparison. Just a comparable milestone. He set the bar where only one thing - Lombardis - will be the only thing that will matter and no one is touching that record.

it was a Mac supporter who brought up the Girardi tweet comparing Mac to Brady.”

Lol, you can say “Ian”…you don’t need to refer to me in third person. :)

And I didn’t post it to irritate people. Again, as I mentioned, we’ve had three QBs for more than one season since 1993. Going to be tough for Brady’s name to not be brought into some of these as anybody, regardless of who it is, accumulates any type of longevity. It’s not a direct comparison. Just a comparable milestone. He set the bar where only one thing - Lombardis - will be the only thing that will matter and no one is touching that record.
Lol. Sorry. I forgot it was you. I was just making a general point. I agree with what you are saying. I mean how can any QB in NE not get compared to Brady? I think what I find most disappointing is how the operation seems to have fallen apart since he left. I think if we were in year 4 and things were on the upswing you would not see such angst. Similar to Allen in Buffalo. His rookie season was tough, his second year was better and this third year was really good and then they went and got him Diggs and recently signed Von Miller. I think that is what most of us are looking for and have been disappointed by the lack of urgency by Kraft/Bill to build a contender.

Reactions: Ian
Mac is a superb quarterback. He is severely hamstrung by problems in the o-line and WRs that cannot get open (or drop balls). I seriously doubt that there is another QB in the league that could do as much with such a limited supporting cast. Put Mac on the Dolphins with their WRs and watch him light it up, but here in New England he has to make do with the cards that were dealt him [gawd, it sucks so bad that Mac does not have Jacobi...]

Local radio is full of negative-nancy asshats who don't seem to understand the game. Don't listen to those douche bags; watch the game carefully.

And as far as BoB, he is operating under the same handicap as Mac. His play calling is way better than last year, but he does not have a lot of options when the o-line cannot open holes for the RBs or protect the QB for very long and the WRs cannot get open.
Not sure I'd call him superb just yet, but I think he's very talented and will be considered top 10 before long. If he were with one of the top 5 teams in the league right now, he'd probably be considered a top 5 QB cause he'd be having great success. It starts between the ears, and I think he's upper echelon in his ability so size up a defense on the fly. Also his competitiveness is off the charts, and his arm talent & mobility are good enough. This offense is improving and within a couple of weeks I think we're going to be very tough to stop.

I don't think it will. If this year goes like last year, they'll pass and then try and extend him at a lower number just like the Giants did, and gamble knowing they have Zappe if he walks.

Not sure the answer is on the team. From what I've seen this preseason and last season, Zappe will be lucky not to be coaching high school football in 4-5 years. Brissett was a much better rookie than Zappe and he's a career backup and spot starter. Sure he had that 1 season at Indy where he cashed in. You can thank Luck in more ways than one in that case.

I understand that any criticism of this team's coaches and players is considered anger here.

Not sure the answer is on the team. From what I've seen this preseason and last season, Zappe will be lucky not to be coaching high school football in 4-5 years. Brissett was a much better rookie than Zappe and he's a career backup and spot starter.
I think they like Mac well enough to keep him around on his rookie contract and maybe longer. My assumption is they'll keep drafting QBs because that's a good business to be in and their feelings on Mac will decide how high a draft pick they use on a QB next year or the year after. It seems pretty clear they're not too excited about the backups including Zappe.

I don't think anyone is expecting to see another Brady run ever. Even us forever Pats fans are way ahead of the game when it comes to winning.

As @amfootball mentioned upstream, comparing the current era to the past is futile. If a QB is putting up numbers from the 90's in the current NYFL then that isn't a positive. But with the lack of offensive players currently on the team Mac's struggles are understandable.

They have been. The question I look at is if you just replace Mac with some other QB is this offense lighting it up.

The answer is it looks the same or worse. This roster is devoid of elite talent on offense. And until that changes the results will be the same.

I don't know if I am wearing tinted glass or what but I have not seen Mac struggle outside of the opening few eagles drives due to weather . He has been progressively getting better and majority of his misses are not due to velocity but our receivers not able to separate and Mac being forced to throw within 2 seconds which means you can only do short throws to receivers who are not open much. We need Douglas to break out to open up the field for others.

Few deep throws by Mac which were dropped or missed.

Douglas running wrong route.
Gesicki not able to stretch and catch it.
Bourne 1 handed drop
Boutte 2 toe not dapping catches
Juju falling off on his feet and unable to latch on 2 deep balls
Douglas being DPi'ed on one long ball.
Henry dropping a seam.

These are 9 out of 20 deep balls that could have potentially been caught and changed the complexion if game or Mac's stats. This year at least so far Mac looks right on money.

On top of this the offensive line was in disarray for first 2 games and smaller extent third game, with not having pocket time more than 2 seconds and 0 running game which prevents play action , which incidentally happens to be Mac's strong suite.

So with a hobbled team we have won 1 game against the top 3 defenses and lost by inches to the other top 2 teams in the league.

We should be optimistic. Go pats . I am hoping to catch on the dallas game this week in Arlington if possible as I am based out of TX.

Last edited:
They have been. The question I look at is if you just replace Mac with some other QB is this offense lighting it up.

The answer is it looks the same or worse. This roster is devoid of elite talent on offense. And until that changes the results will be the same.
I think the offense looks markedly better with a better QB. There are so many plays Mac doesn't make. And he is awful at recognizing the blitz and setting protections. Those skills alone by another QB would drastically improve production.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back