PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

You know what, just forget about what I said about the Broncos. They may list Derek Wolfe as a defensive end, but Von Miller is the one that usually is on the outside. They basically use 3 defensive tackles.

Also, the Saints now have the lead for fewest linebackers used.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

What do you think of our draft? What would you have done different?

Big Collins fan. Didn't watch Dobson as much as I should have, struggled to get film. Ryan is good before the ball is in the air (staying with his man, turning his hips, etc.) terrible with it in the air (can't win a jump ball, lacks length, below average ball skills, can't read the eyes of receivers). Overall, and average pick. Harmon was a shocker. Hate Buchanan, Boyce is solid.

Undrafted free agents that stand out: Cory Grissom has great quickness. Chris McDonald has nice tape. Zach Sudfield is a max effort guy with a decent skill set

It's hardly a Deep, Dark Secret that Defenses are migrating to what I've called "65" Formations at the expense of classical "74" Formations. This has been going on for Years.

The "65" Formations ~ the "425", the "335", and, my favorite, the "245" ~ are clearly on the rise and ~ as I predicted, last Summer, and repeat, here ~ I believe will become Base Defenses in the not too distant Future.

I don't know why you're shocked at the continued reference to classical "74" Formations like the "34" and "43". All Defenses need a Foundation to build on ~ a point of Reference, you see: a "Language" to build understanding with. And these are obviously the two most popular "Base" Defenses.

It's hardly a Deep, Dark Secret that Defenses are migrating to what I've called "65" Formations at the expense of classical "74" Formations. This has been going on for Years.

The "65" Formations ~ the "425", the "335", and, my favorite, the "245" ~ are clearly on the rise and ~ as I predicted, last Summer, and repeat, here ~ I believe will become Base Defenses in the not too distant Future.

I don't know why you're shocked at the continued reference to classical "74" Formations like the "34" and "43". All Defenses need a Foundation to build on ~ a point of Reference, you see: a "Language" to build understanding with. And these are obviously the two most popular "Base" Defenses.
I just feel like teams put more emphasis on that base defense then their nickel package. You don't see teams with their nickel package one the field more than their front 7 in practice. Many teams seem a bit disorganized with their nickel, playing a variety of guys at nickelback in the game because they don't bother to have a number one nickelback out of camp. Smart teams only sub in one nickelback (49ers and Chris Culliver. Actually, when Culliver was on the field, they often moved Carlos Rodgers to the slot, but still, their third defensive back is a very clearly defined player), and do not rotate. Other teams are pretty random about who they sub in (and out, from the front 7) when they go to the nickel. The 4-2-5 or the 3-3-5 should be treated like a base defense. That's all I'm saying

A prospect: if you appreciate toughness and strength in a corner, Kyle Fuller is your man. Just a monster against the run. This is how good he is against the run: first of all, he had 14.5 TFL's as a sophomore in 2011, which we all can agree is unprecedented from a corner. It gets better. When Virginia Tech faced Georgia Tech 2011, they shook up the depth chart to get more power on the field to oppose Georgia Tech's rushing attack. By "shook up the depth chart" I meant moving Kyle Fuller, a 5'11, 192lb cornerback, not to safety, but to WILL LINEBACKER! Seriously! He's that strong. Just a mercenary. Antoine Winfield like. His long speed is below average, and, in one on one situations, he'll probably need safety help over the top in man coverage, but his quickness is elite, he knows how to fight for ideal position, his fluidity is ideal, and he's great in zone. Reminds me of the guy who made me love scouting, the first time I became completely obsessed with a sleeper, Alterraun Verner, though Verner wasn't as good against the run (he was still elite), and, although Fuller is very fluid, Verner truly changes directions like water.

I root for my sleepers to have success like they are my own children, and none of my children have made me more proud then Antonio Brown, but Verner was my first sleeper. Saw him against Tennessee, he allowed 1 catch for 6 yards in the entire game, and I was hooked.

Also, Jonathan Brown is a good player on a bad team. I promise you, he's Lavonte David. Elite instincts and toughness, and he's a pretty good athlete.

Also, Jonathan Brown is a good player on a bad team. I promise you, he's Lavonte David. Elite instincts and toughness, and he's a pretty good athlete.

Poor man's Lavonte David seems like a good way to describe Brown. Not as athletic as David, but sudden and seems to have that "sixth sense" for angles and where the ball is going to be. How do you feel about Andrew Jackson (the linebacker, not the president)?

I just feel like teams put more emphasis on that base defense then their nickel package. You don't see teams with their nickel package one the field more than their front 7 in practice. Many teams seem a bit disorganized with their nickel, playing a variety of guys at nickelback in the game because they don't bother to have a number one nickelback out of camp. Smart teams only sub in one nickelback (49ers and Chris Culliver. Actually, when Culliver was on the field, they often moved Carlos Rodgers to the slot, but still, their third defensive back is a very clearly defined player), and do not rotate. Other teams are pretty random about who they sub in (and out, from the front 7) when they go to the nickel. The 4-2-5 or the 3-3-5 should be treated like a base defense. That's all I'm saying

That, Sir, is a very interesting Argument. Thanks for sharing it. :cool:

Ummm, Jacques Washington looks extremely underrated.

I'm at the stage every year where I'm not actually scouting, but simply deciding who to scout. Finding the guys I'm going to be watching over the next couple of months.
This process is officially complete. And I end it with one measurables + stats high sleeper probability candidate, Jonathan Dowling, a safety dismissed by Florida who has made a home for himself at Western Kentucky, getting 68 tackles and 6 picks there last season. Not to mention, 6'2, 198, 4.52 40
I will actually begin scouting tomorrow morning. As I find sleepers, I'll let you guys know. Also: there's this kid named Jadeveon Clowney that I have been hearing a bit about. I'm going to check him out, see if he's any good.

Also, has anybody seen Dri Archer's stats? I'm not saying he's underrated, because he's really small, but holy crap. A 9.0 yards per carry with 1429 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns. 39 catches for 561 yards (14.4 yards per catch) and 4 touchdowns. 17 kickoff returns for 591 yards (34.8 yards per return!!) and 3 touchdowns. 1 pass for 24 yards and, of course, a touchdown, 631.6 quarterback rating. 2577 all purpose yards and 23 touchdowns. I have never seen anything like that.

Those numbers remind of the guy who led my high school to the first playoff appearance in school history in 2011-12. He ran a legit 4.32, but he was 5'6 160lbs, and even that may have been generous (I saw him every day in my AP stats class), so he wound up at an FCS school, but he was awesome. We sucked, and had no business being in the playoffs, but I did stats for the football team, and I remember calling the Cincinnati Enquirer to give them stats, and the reaction on the phone was always priceless:

Me: "had 296 yards on 28 carries and 5 touchdowns"

Guy that works for the newspaper: "296 yards?!"

Me: "Yep"

Guy that works for the newspaper: "Ballin'"

Watching Vandy's bowl game... Chase Garnham looks like Daryl Washington. Phenomenal athlete, great at blitzing for a Mike. If he's always this good, I'd take him in the late first round.

Kenny Ladler also looks pretty good. He has excellent instincts and he's a good tackler. Not an elite athlete, but Quinitin Mikell with a bit less strength sounds fair

Vanderbilt N.C. State is done. Final thoughts: Andre Hal isn't much. Asa Watson has shocking straight line speed but little quickness, and he's fairly raw. Jordan Matthews looks solid. He made a few nice reads on option routes that stood out. Wesley Johnson is incredibly smart but below average in every other aspect of the game. Projects as a versatile backup linemen that can be mediocre but not embarrassing at every position. Dontae Johnson has nice size and length but lacks strength. He knows how to use his size and length to deflect passes, but has little power as a tackler. Rob Crisp sucks.

Next I will watch South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State. Going to check out cornerback Marcus Williams, and, while I'm at it, tackle Bryan Witzmann.

One thing that stands out immediately: Bryan Witzmann has a very good build. 6'6 and a very lean 300lbs. He has plenty of room for bulk on his frame, and could add 20lbs in a heartbeat

Witzmann doesn't look like much. Not a great athlete. Williams, on the other hand, couldn't really be playing better. Lots of things I don't know, since he has only been targeted once so far (playing a bit too deep in zone coverage, probably could be blamed for the ensuing catch), but he has shown good strength and great technique pressing receivers off the line of scrimmage

Mega sleeper:

I had to do a lot of digging to find this guy. I know very little about him. But there is this LeRon Furr at Fort Valley State. Originally at Oklahoma State, he transferred to Fort Valley State, possibly to play with his brother, DeRon Furr, who went from Auburn to Memphis to Fort Valley State. According to his old Rivals recruitment page, LeRon is 6'3, 225lbs, and runs a 4.65 40, so pretty good. According to NFLDraftScout.com, who doesn't actually have him ranked, he's 6'2, 233lbs, and runs a 4.67 40. Above average either way. And his stats? Unbelievable. 110 tackles, 32.0 TFL's, 6.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 2 pass breakups in 12 games in 2012. Keep an eye out.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back