PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Here's the initial list according to CBS Sports of the top DT's. Some interesting names. the first 10 are the top Sr prospects and the 2nd 10 are the top Jr kids.

Daniel McCullers DT 1 Tennessee Sr
Calvin Barnett DT 2 Oklahoma State Sr
Deandre Coleman DT 3 California rSr
Ra'Shede Hageman DT 4 Minnesota rSr
Demonte McAllister DT 5 Florida State rSr
Aaron Donald DT 6 Pittsburgh Sr
Ashton Dorsey DT 7 Texas Sr
Justin Ellis DT 8 Louisiana Tech rSr
Khyri Thornton DT 9 Southern Mississippi rSr
Ryan Carrethers DT 10 Arkansas State rSr

Louis Nix DT 1 Notre Dame rJr
Timmy Jernigan DT 2 Florida State Jr
Anthony Johnson DT 3 LSU Jr
George Uko DT 4 Southern California rJr
Ego Ferguson DT 5 LSU rJr
Kelcy Quarles DT 6 South Carolina Jr
Danny Shelton DT 7 Washington Jr
Tyeler Davison DT 8 Fresno State rJr
Viliami Moala DT 9 California Jr
Jordan Phillips DT 10 Oklahoma Jr

Love McCullers. 6'8", 377. He's apparently down 20 pounds for this season to about 355. Huge, huge human.

How many mocks will this guy be in between now and next April?

Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

Darqueze+Dennard+Michigan+State+v+Ohio+State+U-iDfAPJ3hKl.jpg

This is what an NFL Scout had to say about Darqueze:

NFL scout: Michigan State football's highest-rated NFL Draft prospect returning to the Spartans | MLive.com

Spartan Highlights - Darqueze Dennard (2010-2012) - YouTube

Dennard is an ideal scheme fit:

Darqueze Dennard vs. Boise State / Nebraska (2012) - YouTube

and, this is Ifre Ekpre-Olomu

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu vs USC,Arizona,Oregon State 2012 - YouTube

Incredible ability to make a play on the ball.

Spent most of the day browsing Draft Breakdown looking for videos on our guys. However I've just spent the last two hours, or more, watching the two videos on there for Jason Verrett.

Watch the Michigan State game and tell me he doesn't remind you of Revis.

Already I have next year's first binky.

We need him on this defense.

Spent most of the day browsing Draft Breakdown looking for videos on our guys. However I've just spent the last two hours, or more, watching the two videos on there for Jason Verrett.

Watch the Michigan State game and tell me he doesn't remind you of Revis.

Already I have next year's first binky.

My binky is an extra first-round draft pick in 2015 or 2016 to draft TFB's replacement. :)

Marcus Lucas - 6'5" 215lbs WR listed as Missouri's #1 WR for this year he's someone who could be worth keeping an eye on.

Western Kentucky MLB Andrew Jackson is an animal. Plays football the way his namesake would like it - fast, violent, and downhill. Can't cover but in the right scheme he will be a star.

Wow. :eek:

Pretty freaking awesome Find, there, Brother Penn!!
beer.gif

I can see us drafting a lot of Penn State players over the next couple of years with BOB running the show down there.

I'm at the stage every year where I'm not actually scouting, but simply deciding who to scout. The guys I'm going to be watching over the next couple of months. A few things that stand out.

The Stanford defense led the nation with 124 TFL's last year and only lost 1 starter from their front 7. Ben Gardner, Henry Anderson, Trent Murphy, lots of talent

I haven't corroborated this with film, but, by stats and 40's, UNLV's Tim Cornett and Arizona's Marquis Flowers look like two of the most underrated prospects of this draft. Cornett is a 6'0, 210lbs running back that runs a 4.50 and maintains a 5.2 yards per carry behind a terrible line, and Flowers is a 6'2, 221lbs hybrid safety/linebacker that runs an excellent 4.52 40 and had 100 tackles last season. Keep an eye out.

A few guys I actually have film on: Jonathan Brown of Illinois is a beast. Truly phenomenal instincts. Cody Hoffman is a top 20 pick in my mind, and Kyle Van Noy is a top 10 pick

I'm at the stage every year where I'm not actually scouting, but simply deciding who to scout. The guys I'm going to be watching over the next couple of months. A few things that stand out.

The Stanford defense led the nation with 124 TFL's last year and only lost 1 starter from their front 7. Ben Gardner, Henry Anderson, Trent Murphy, lots of talent

I haven't corroborated this with film, but, by stats and 40's, UNLV's Tim Cornett and Arizona's Marquis Flowers look like two of the most underrated prospects of this draft. Cornett is a 6'0, 210lbs running back that runs a 4.50 and maintains a 5.2 yards per carry behind a terrible line, and Flowers is a 6'2, 221lbs hybrid safety/linebacker that runs an excellent 4.52 40 and had 100 tackles last season. Keep an eye out.

A few guys I actually have film on: Jonathan Brown of Illinois is a beast. Truly phenomenal instincts. Cody Hoffman is a top 20 pick in my mind, and Kyle Van Noy is a top 10 pick

Two of my early favourites although probably not great Patriot fits after the events of the last draft.

Thanks for the other names. If you get a chance, check out Rutgers LB Jamal Merrell. When I was looking at our most recent pick ups, Merrell really stood out as a playmaker on that Rutgers D.

Colt Lyerla has had some serious twitter issues regarding Sandy Hook conspiracy theories which may in the long run contribute to him not even being on the Patriots board next year (he'll also be a Jnr) but he strikes me as the perfect piece for the Patriots offense, even with AHern on the team. Would it be blasphemy to suggest that Lyerla may end up being better?

Colt Lyerla 2012 Highlights - YouTube

Lyerla was a points machine last year scoring 42 points on 38 touches. He never had more than 4 catches in a game and will need to step up his production, but if he does, and declares, I could see him being a potential late first rounder. Very exciting prospect.

Been watching some Kyle Van Noy in the last couple of days. He's either going to be Jason Pierre Paul, or he's going to be Pierre Woods. There is absolutely no in-between for him. Watch the New Mexico game in the first half and you'll legitimately wonder why he's rated so highly. Then in the second half he looks like LT.

Been watching some Kyle Van Noy in the last couple of days. He's either going to be Jason Pierre Paul, or he's going to be Pierre Woods. There is absolutely no in-between for him. Watch the New Mexico game in the first half and you'll legitimately wonder why he's rated so highly. Then in the second half he looks like LT.

The thing with Van Noy is that he can play off the line a bit, so he doesn't have to be rock solid vs. the run to find a good fit in the NFL.

Did you see BYU's bowl game vs. SDSU? He got a pick six, blocked a punt, strip sacked the QB Fales in the endzone and recovered it himself for a TD, made a bunch of tackles in the backfield AND was generating pressure all day. Crazy stuff.

A bit early for this. But I'd say GET CLOWNEY! I don't care if you have to beg, borrow, or steal, but get this guy on our team somehow! Kid screams gamechanger! Hopefully he will fall for unknown reasons (read secret pact with BB) and fall all the way to #32 where we will be picking! ^_^

Jadeveon-Clowney-Hit-610x808.jpeg

Advent of the quadruple TE offense?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-the-pats-feature-a-four-tight-end-formation

With a healthy Ballard, and the addition of another athletic TE. Pats could run some really crazy stuff out of a 4 TE formation!

i dont think anyone would be able to stop us if we had gronk and asj on the field at the same time

I am no where near ready to focus on 2014 but 2 guys that caught my eye are db sam carter from tcu and dt aaron donald of pitt.

A bit early for this. But I'd say GET CLOWNEY! I don't care if you have to beg, borrow, or steal, but get this guy on our team somehow! Kid screams gamechanger! Hopefully he will fall for unknown reasons (read secret pact with BB) and fall all the way to #32 where we will be picking! ^_^

Jadeveon-Clowney-Hit-610x808.jpeg

Advent of the quadruple TE offense?
Could the New England Patriots Feature a Four-Tight End Formation? | Bleacher Report

With a healthy Ballard, and the addition of another athletic TE. Pats could run some really crazy stuff out of a 4 TE formation!

He's the defensive andrew Luck with RGIII's athleticism thrown in. I doubt he even falls in the draft if he leads a coup against a small country.

The thing with Van Noy is that he can play off the line a bit, so he doesn't have to be rock solid vs. the run to find a good fit in the NFL.

Did you see BYU's bowl game vs. SDSU? He got a pick six, blocked a punt, strip sacked the QB Fales in the endzone and recovered it himself for a TD, made a bunch of tackles in the backfield AND was generating pressure all day. Crazy stuff.

I'd take Van Noy over someone like Jarvis Jones any day of the month, particularly for the Patriots where his football intelligence and work ethic are a plus. Unfortunately, unless Jamie Collins becomes a full time DE, I don't see a fit with us as he's probably a 4-3 SLB only on our defense.

hopefully he punches a cop the week before the draft

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back