PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

One more deep, deep sleeper: Dexter Moody. Once highly recruited, signed on to play with Georgia, didn't play with Georgia, wound up at Albany State. A 6'3, 215lbs safety with a 4.45 40 yard dash and 7 interceptions in 10 games last season.

One more deep, deep sleeper: Dexter Moody. Once highly recruited, signed on to play with Georgia, didn't play with Georgia, wound up at Albany State. A 6'3, 215lbs safety with a 4.45 40 yard dash and 7 interceptions in 10 games last season.

Wow! Never seen someone on a message board do this much research! Dude if you aren't working for a front office somewhere in 15 years, there's something wrong.

Watched three North Dakota State games today. Marcus Williams is a mid to late 3rd round pick. Very few weaknesses, but doesn't stand out either. Good ball skills and solid toughness against the run, average in all other facets of the game.

Next on the ledger is Oklahoma St. vs. Oklahoma. I'm excited to watch the corners in that game, Aaron Colvin and Justin Gilbert. Colvin showed in the Kansas State game that he has all of the tools to be a top 5 pick: he just needs to improve his technique and consistency. Similar verdict with Gilbert: he could be a top 20 pick if he became more consistent.

Thoughts on Bedlam, so far: Gabe Lynn is a terrific athlete. Absolutely explosive burst and good toughness. He could break out this season.
Frankly, Justin Gilbert doesn't have the instincts, at least right now, to anticipate any routes. All he does is just attempt to mirror the movements of opposing receivers. He's pretty raw

Gabe Ikard is not a center in the NFL. He has shown no ability to make line calls and adjust protection at the line, a crucial job for centers. He doesn't consistently keep his head on a swivel. Simply terrible on field awareness for a center.

That being said, the guy is a good blocker. Great athlete with solid strength. Very good in the second level. Uses his hands well. Late second round pick in my mind.

Calvin Barnett is taller than 6'2 (his listed height), he has solid strength, pretty good length, and he is pretty good in pursuit of the ball. He also has a nice build with room for bulk on his frame. However, he plays WAY too high, especially against the pass, he could improve his hand usage, and he needs to use some sort of lower body power to stay his ground against the run.

Corey Nelson has potential as a safety

Daytawion Lowe is a surprisingly solid athlete on film with long arms and solid instincts against the run. Ball skills need work, but he has good strength and some potential

I'm about to check out the Cotton Bowl. I'll let you guys know what I think of Johnny Manziel

Manziel looks phenomenal. People say he does whatever he wants off the field. He also does whatever he wants on the field. Incredible athlete, impossible to sack, more accurate with throws on the run or even off of one foot than any quarterback I've ever seen.

Jordan Phillips, and Oklahoma defensive tackle/nose tackle, who will be a redshirt sophomore this coming fall, did something to catch my eye. Keep in mind, Phillips is 6'5 325lbs. I saw him push Mike Evans out of bounds 17 yards past the line of scrimmage. If you are that big and have the athleticism to get that far down the field in time to knock a receiver out of bounds (Evans wasn't in a sprint, he made a few defensive backs miss along the way), you are an incredible athlete.

Next game is Oklahoma Baylor. I'm definitely going to get a look at Lache Seastrunk, as well as sleeper junior inside linebacker Bryce Hager and sleeper safety Ahmad Dixon.

Forget Dixon. Good athlete, terrible instincts

Manziel looks phenomenal. People say he does whatever he wants off the field. He also does whatever he wants on the field. Incredible athlete, impossible to sack, more accurate with throws on the run or even off of one foot than any quarterback I've ever seen.

Does he have enough arm talent to succeed in the NFL? Can he transition to working more from the pocket as opposed to running so much?

Jordan Phillips, and Oklahoma defensive tackle/nose tackle, who will be a redshirt sophomore this coming fall, did something to catch my eye. Keep in mind, Phillips is 6'5 325lbs. I saw him push Mike Evans out of bounds 17 yards past the line of scrimmage. If you are that big and have the athleticism to get that far down the field in time to knock a receiver out of bounds (Evans wasn't in a sprint, he made a few defensive backs miss along the way), you are an incredible athlete.

Does this Jordan Phillips project to the 5-technique?

Does he have enough arm talent to succeed in the NFL? Can he transition to working more from the pocket as opposed to running so much?

He does have a very strong arm. In Bruce Feldman's annual freak list, he mentioned that Manziel has freakishly large hands for a guy who is 6'0 tall. That doesn't surprise me, because he really does have a powerful arm. Not too mention, he's perfectly comfortable in the pocket. In fact, he looks comfortable everywhere on the field. Manziel has this sort of almost arrogance about his play. He does things such as throw off his back foot incredibly frequently that you would normally consider a quarterback reckless for attempting. He has remarkable confidence in his own abilities. That being said, he's always right. He throws more catchable passes on plays most quarterbacks wouldn't ever attempt as much as anyone I have ever seen. I'm not necessarily talking about fitting it into tight windows, which he can do as well. I'm talking about throwing a pass 25 yards off his back foot into the endzone and hitting the receiver right in the numbers. That's what makes Manziel so special. He really looks like he can do anything. He makes the game look easy. He plays backyard football. He's comfortable inside and outside the pocket. He holds onto the football for a long time on a 5 step drop but he can buy a ton of time in the pocket.

One more sleeper. Northwestern had the 29th ranked scoring defense in the country last year, and they played in the Big Ten. To have a defense ranked in the top quarter of the country while playing in a BCS conference, you pretty much have to have at least one draftable player on your defense. I found the guy: Tyler Scott. 6'4, 265lbs defensive end with a a 4.82 40 yard dash (slightly above average for a guy his size) that led Northwestern with 9 sacks and 12.5 TFL's last season. Also deflected 5 passes at the line of scrimmage. Sounds pretty good to me.

Seastrunk looks pretty good. Reminds me of Ray Rice, except Ray Rice is the best pass catching running back in the NFL (except for Darren Sproles), while Seastrunk is simply average as a pass catcher

Also, Baylor's running back situation gave me a sense of deja vu: two talented players in Seastrunk and Glasco Martin (who is quietly a very good athlete) fighting for carries, with the young, quicker back coming out on top. Darren Evans/Ryan Williams a few years back?

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back