PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

It won't be fun watching the Gators/****s game this year and watching Clowney destroy our RB's. :(

My binky is an extra first-round draft pick in 2015 or 2016 to draft TFB's replacement. :)

It's going to suck, but I also believe that the team should begin looking for the next franchise quarterback as quickly as next season. :(

It's going to suck, but I also believe that the team should begin looking for the next franchise quarterback as quickly as next season. :(

Agreed.

When they will pick Brady's heir, is almost sure that will be with a 1st round pick, because they must select a high talent player and take advantage of fith year of contract that provides new CBA for 1st round player opposite to only 4 years contract for 2nd and following rounds.

Next year, a very probable candidate is AJ McCarron, because is a game manager that can be groomed ala Brady and has Nick Saban's approval seal. My preference would be, right now, David Fales, but is way too early to make such decission.

Agreed.

When they will pick Brady's heir, is almost sure that will be with a 1st round pick, because they must select a high talent player and take advantage of fith year of contract that provides new CBA for 1st round player opposite to only 4 years contract for 2nd and following rounds.

Next year, a very probable candidate is AJ McCarron, because is a game manager that can be groomed ala Brady and has Nick Saban's approval seal. My preference would be, right now, David Fales, but is way too early to make such decission.

I would be shocked if we drafted a 1st round QB next year, I don't like McCarron as a prospect at all. I want and elevator, not somebody that has been elevated by those around him.

I want a smart, poised, and very accurate QB with an ok arm from a small school.

I would be shocked if we drafted a 1st round QB next year, I don't like McCarron as a prospect at all. I want and elevator, not somebody that has been elevated by those around him.

If Mallet is traded this summer or next year before draft, I wouldn't be surprised for a 1st round QB next year, because I can see a competitive Tom Brady trough next 3 seasons (2013, 2014 & 2015) and then, for 2016 the new starter that had been groomed during two years under Brady's wing.

I also don't like very much McCarron, but I have pointed his name because Saban-Belichik connection.

We have a long college season in front of us to see hoy this QBs prospects evolve, and then make a much more informed call. Will be interesting.

If Mallet is traded this summer or next year before draft, I wouldn't be surprised for a 1st round QB next year, because I can see a competitive Tom Brady trough next 3 seasons (2013, 2014 & 2015) and then, for 2016 the new starter that had been groomed during two years under Brady's wing.

I also don't like very much McCarron, but I have pointed his name because Saban-Belichik connection.

We have a long college season in front of us to see hoy this QBs prospects evolve, and then make a much more informed call. Will be interesting.

Then you should add to your watch list Christian Hackenberg, who decided to play for Bill O'Brien, but had Nick Saban trying to get him to switch after l'affaire Sandusky.

Then you should add to your watch list Christian Hackenberg, who decided to play for Bill O'Brien, but had Nick Saban trying to get him to switch after l'affaire Sandusky.

Ok, thanks for the tip, have read about Hackenberg, but don't knew Saban interest in him.

Hasn't our 'bama interest been mostly on the defensive side? When was the last Saban guy we drafted on offense?

Hasn't our 'bama interest been mostly on the defensive side? When was the last Saban guy we drafted on offense?

Very good questions.

To the first, answer is indoubtedly YES.

To the second, is curious, because the last one seems to be a QuarterBack: Rohan Davey, who played for LSU's Saban in his junior and senior seasons in college (2000 & 2001), only as starter in 2001:

I can posts links (yet a rookie in this forum), so google him to more details in his bad and short NFL "career".

So, my tip to watch AJ McCarron seems to be not too much accurate at all, :bricks:

Dane Brugler has a list of potential 2014 breakout stars on the Offensive side of the ball.

the one that intrigues me as a potential Patriot is OT Zach Martin of Notre Dame. Probably doesn't have the length to be an NFL OT but is a pretty accomplished run blocker that intrigues me as a Guard for the Pats.

2014 NFL Draft: Offensive prospects who could emerge - CBSSports.com

manx what positions do you think theyll target early next year i think DT and CB are the two most likely positions especially since the CB class looks stacked at this point as well as the DT class

manx what positions do you think theyll target early next year i think DT and CB are the two most likely positions especially since the CB class looks stacked at this point as well as the DT class

I'm not Manx but I'll jump in on this question. I know Talib is a FA again, but even then, you have Dennard, Ryan, Dowling, Arrington at corner. I've never understood the infatuation with corners. I thought we had enough this season, and I think we'll have enough next year. Assuming of course that Dowling stays healthy and plays like a 2nd rounder and Ryan plays like a 3rd rounder. I think Talib will have a solid season, but they interest won't be very high from the around the league. He'll miss some games with injury, imo.

Now onto the question at hand. RB, TE, OT, LB, QB(assuming no Mallett trade) are the positions that appear to be set. That leaves WR, interior OL, DL, and S as the other positions. In order, I believe it'll be DL, S, WR, interior OL. They definitely need some youth at DT, but 2013's draft seemed a better bet to get those kind of players than 2014 does. WR is good at the top(Lee, Watkins) but not as deep as this season. S does not look very good. Interior OL looks ok, especially if some of the later OTs have to move to guard(Richardson, Henderson, etc.)

Dane Brugler has a list of potential 2014 breakout stars on the Offensive side of the ball.

the one that intrigues me as a potential Patriot is OT Zach Martin of Notre Dame. Probably doesn't have the length to be an NFL OT but is a pretty accomplished run blocker that intrigues me as a Guard for the Pats.

2014 NFL Draft: Offensive prospects who could emerge - CBSSports.com

He's the same height as Matt Light, he might do fine at tackle, there's not much film of the guy, tough to tell.

I'm not Manx but I'll jump in on this question. I know Talib is a FA again, but even then, you have Dennard, Ryan, Dowling, Arrington at corner. I've never understood the infatuation with corners. I thought we had enough this season, and I think we'll have enough next year. Assuming of course that Dowling stays healthy and plays like a 2nd rounder and Ryan plays like a 3rd rounder. I think Talib will have a solid season, but they interest won't be very high from the around the league. He'll miss some games with injury, imo.

Now onto the question at hand. RB, TE, OT, LB, QB(assuming no Mallett trade) are the positions that appear to be set. That leaves WR, interior OL, DL, and S as the other positions. In order, I believe it'll be DL, S, WR, interior OL. They definitely need some youth at DT, but 2013's draft seemed a better bet to get those kind of players than 2014 does. WR is good at the top(Lee, Watkins) but not as deep as this season. S does not look very good. Interior OL looks ok, especially if some of the later OTs have to move to guard(Richardson, Henderson, etc.)

yeah i think DT is the main position of need and guard as well and depending on the WR situation that will determine our level of need i dont think we will take another safety since we have taken two pretty high the last 2 years and mccourty is very young. CB for me is really interesting because it seems like there are a lot of potential #1 shutdown Cb's like the two guys from Oregon both guys from florida verrett from TCU Darqueze Dennard (my dream 2nd round pick) from michigan state and then theres everett and diggs from i think texas and texas a&m (not too sure about these guys) but it seems like a loaded class at this point and 1 of those guys will be there at our pick hopefully 32 and maybe 1 will be there at 64 hopefully. At DT i like Daniel Mcclullers as well as stephon tuitt who offers some versatility (think Armond Armstead but better) in that he can play 4-3 DT 3-4 DE and could play 4-3 DE if they wanted. My choice at safety if we were going to choose a safety would be Ed Reynolds from Stanford he had 6 picks last year returned 3 for TD's and had 301 INT return yards which is an insane number. I think our team is getting really close to being able to draft BPA because there are very few needs on this team right now as I look at it. the only real hole i think is DT but thats mainly for the future with Vince and Kelly's age

Very good questions.

To the first, answer is indoubtedly YES.

To the second, is curious, because the last one seems to be a QuarterBack: Rohan Davey, who played for LSU's Saban in his junior and senior seasons in college (2000 & 2001), only as starter in 2001:

I can posts links (yet a rookie in this forum), so google him to more details in his bad and short NFL "career".

So, my tip to watch AJ McCarron seems to be not too much accurate at all, :bricks:

Rohan Davey, I remember him. He really lit up the European league, apparently he's in the arena league now.

When the South Carolina defense lines up, most eyes will be on Jadaveon Clowney, and rightfully so. But look out for #99 Kelcy Quarles. He is an explosive athlete who could be a long term fit on our defensive line.

I'm doing research for an article about the fact that teams don't really use a "4-3" or "3-4" defense in most plays in the NFL these days. Thanks to the fact that so many teams line up in 3 receiver sets, the nickel is featured in a majority of plays. In my research, I couldn't help but notice that, by snap count data, the Patriots use fewer linebackers than any team in the NFL, at least so far (Ninkovich usually plays with his hand in the dirt, correct?).
4.671 defensive backs on the field per play (A tad above the league average from what I've seen so far)
2.255 linebackers on the field per play (again, lowest I've seen)
4.073 defensive linemen on the field per play (pretty high, even for a 4-3 team)
This data implies that, when they go to a nickel (again, most plays) they usually go to a 4-2-5 rather than a 3-3-5. I must say, I don't like this approach. To me, first of all, defensive tackles lack stamina. Am I wrong? There are only about 5 in the league that can stay on the field for 80% of the plays in a game. So, to me, it makes sense that, if possible, when you need to move to the nickel defense, you should sub out one of your defensive tackles, who will likely be subbed out later for stamina purposes anyway, as a means to conserve energy and avoid having to go to 3rd and even 4th string (Brandon Deaderick, especially in 2011) defensive tackles late in game. It makes lots of sense. The Denver Broncos a 4-3 team with a 3-3-5 nickel package and it works with great success. If you have to sub someone out, make it someone who's already tired. Just throwing that out there.

I'm doing research for an article about the fact that teams don't really use a "4-3" or "3-4" defense in most plays in the NFL these days. Thanks to the fact that so many teams line up in 3 receiver sets, the nickel is featured in a majority of plays. In my research, I couldn't help but notice that, by snap count data, the Patriots use fewer linebackers than any team in the NFL, at least so far (Ninkovich usually plays with his hand in the dirt, correct?).
4.671 defensive backs on the field per play (A tad above the league average from what I've seen so far)
2.255 linebackers on the field per play (again, lowest I've seen)
4.073 defensive linemen on the field per play (pretty high, even for a 4-3 team)
This data implies that, when they go to a nickel (again, most plays) they usually go to a 4-2-5 rather than a 3-3-5. I must say, I don't like this approach. To me, first of all, defensive tackles lack stamina. Am I wrong? There are only about 5 in the league that can stay on the field for 80% of the plays in a game. So, to me, it makes sense that, if possible, when you need to move to the nickel defense, you should sub out one of your defensive tackles, who will likely be subbed out later for stamina purposes anyway, as a means to conserve energy and avoid having to go to 3rd and even 4th string (Brandon Deaderick, especially in 2011) defensive tackles late in game. It makes lots of sense. The Denver Broncos a 4-3 team with a 3-3-5 nickel package and it works with great success. If you have to sub someone out, make it someone who's already tired. Just throwing that out there.

Oh, and just for the record, the Broncos 3-3-5 is basically a 4-2-5 with Von Miller as a defensive end. Frankly, you could say the same thing about their 4-3/5-2 defense.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back