PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zach Sudfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sudz will surprise... just call it a feeling! :rocker:

Really? Fells? Has he impressed you somehow?

Fells even hurt, was still thought of in some fan's minds as still being a better blocker last year than Hooman--although that is probably debatable and I haven't personally been able to go back and watch any breakdowns myself so I don't have an opinion either way.

I think that this decision may coincide with whether or not Belichick feels that Fells' injury may have held him back, and to what level. More importantly, how much can he offer the offense this year healthy? He should be able to be a much improved player if he's healthy, so we may actually have a chance to see the 'real' Daniel Fells.

If anything my opinion is that only ONE of Hooman/Fells makes it, and that Sudfeld then has the other spot. That said, it's much too early to make these kinds of predictions without seeing anything in TC reports or preseason games, but now is probably a prime time period for Sudfeld to make the team IF he shows anything at all and can pick up the playbook well enough.

Back to Sudfeld.

The excitement is based on:
- multiple reports that he looked excellent in training camp
- terrific size and measurables from draft process
- stats of 45 receptions for 598 yards and 8 TD's
He's bigger, faster, and more productive than the TE's selected in the second round.

The question, then, is why was he undrafted, after lots of discussion on whether an undrafted player can ever succeed. There is an answer.

Why was Sudfeld undrafted, given his measurables?
Injuries.

Sudfeld red-shirted the 2007 season. Wait, the 2007 season? Then he would have graduated in the 2010 or 2011 season. He could have come out early in the 2009 draft.

So he missed the 2007 season as a walk-on redshirt.
He missed the 2008 season with injuries.
Didn't put up any stats in the 2009 season.
He did play the 2010 and 2011 seasons, when he totaled a combined 11 yards.
Then he had a breakthrough 2012 season, with those stats of 600 yards and 8 TD's.
The other relevant stats are six surgeries, including shoulder, leg, knee and wrist. So there are concerns that his long frame, at 6-7 253 pounds, cannot handle the pounding. And whatever damage remains from the injuries and surgeries.

He has lots of upside, but there has to be concern that he just cannot make it through an NFL season at TE. That's why he is this intriguing mixture of talent and udfa.

Zach Sudfeld, how good can he be for us?

Check out the videos on him, didn't know he was a semifinalist for the John Mackey award. He emphasized how in the Nevada offense, as a tightend you better know how to block, and be ready for anything in the pass and run game, so I guess he played with another talented tightend on the roster. At 6'7, 255lbs, he has nice size and his prospect reports say that he has good speed, quickness, and can run really good routes and has reliable hands. And I like the long hair, Novacek and Jeremy Shockey-ish type of look lol signature look for good tight-ends. Any thoughts on this kid and what he could potentially bring to the 2013 Offense? Don't know much about him. Apparently he did catch passes from Colin Kaepernick, and is pretty versatilehttp://http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2013-Draft-Prospects---Zach-Sudfeld-TE/a36bd66f-9881-4298-8656-5262e7872433 but now gets to play with the best of all time. Comments or feedback...........

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w

Re: Zach Sudfeld, how good can he be for us?

I think he has a golden opportunity given the current situation he has found himself in. I love rooting for the UDFA guys, and he'll probably be one of my prime focuses come camp time - really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

When attempting to assess these players, it's only right to talk about the problems they've had too.

Sudfeld has been very oft-injured.

He'll compete in training camp just like Fells, Hooman, Ballard, Ford and whoever else comes in. Then Belichick will sort it out. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. The offense is pretty hard to pick up, so let's just hope he's able to do that.

In the meantime we'll all be pulling for him.

I think there's a couple of other threads on Sudfeld too, so I'd imagine this will be merged pretty quickly.

Don't know, but I think it's a safe bet he'll get every opportunity.

His combine numbers overall were very similar to Zach Ertz. There's no reason he can't be hoped to produce at a 2nd round level (Ertz went top five in the second round) IF he can stay healthy. I don't know what his injuries were in college except one broken leg. He's a little old for a rookie and lacking some in experience but his athleticism is what it is.

If he can stay healthy and show improvement he's got a shot at making the roster or be a practice squad guy.

So why exactly did this guy fall through the draft? Injuries? Lack of production? Not playing in a powerhouse conference? It just seems strange that he went undrafted if he apparently has elite measurables for a tight end and nobody has really questioned his blocking or catching.

I always think Practice Squad when we have a promising UDFA or late round prospect on offense.

Who was the last UDFA to be productive on offense? to make the 53?

There is probably little room for a developmental TE on the 53, given Gronk's injury. He would need to beat out one of the vets, a tall order. Of course, strange things have happened.

I see us starting the season with 3 active TE's (as has been the case recently): Ballard, Fells and Hooman. I expect Gronk to be inactive for the first few games. I expect Sudfield to be on the Practice Squad.

When attempting to assess these players, it's only right to talk about the problems they've had too.

Sudfeld has been very oft-injured.

He'll compete in training camp just like Fells, Hooman, Ballard, Ford and whoever else comes in. Then Belichick will sort it out. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. The offense is pretty hard to pick up, so let's just hope he's able to do that.

In the meantime we'll all be pulling for him.

I always think Practice Squad when we have a promising UDFA or late round prospect on offense.

There is probably little room for a developmental TE on the 53, given Gronk's injury. He would need to beat out one of the vets, a tall order. Of course, strange things have happened.

I see us starting the season with 3 active TE's (as has been the case recently): Ballard, Fells and Hooman. I expect Gronk to be inactive for the first few games. I expect Sudfield to be on the Practice Squad.

Agreed that his best spot would be PS unless he really shows something in camp/preseason.

I do fear that to much hype is being built around him which will create interest from other teams.

So why exactly did this guy fall through the draft? Injuries? Lack of production? Not playing in a powerhouse conference? It just seems strange that he went undrafted if he apparently has elite measurables for a tight end and nobody has really questioned his blocking or catching.

Injuries, I could be wrong but I think he was unable to participate at the combine.

When was the last time that we lost an UDFA? It doesn't happen often. After all, everyone else is cutting down also.

Agreed that his best spot would be PS unless he really shows something in camp/preseason.

I do fear that to much hype is being built around him which will create interest from other teams.

When was the last time that we lost an UDFA? It doesn't happen often. After all, everyone else is cutting down also.

We lost Salas, Kopa and Moore last year off the PS. Teams seem to like to pick up are players.

The difference is that I don't think that any of the players you mentioned were rookies. Rookies (especially UDFA's) are a real long short to produce, especially when they missed your entire Training Camp and preseason.

We lost Salas, Kopa and Moore last year off the PS. Teams seem to like to pick up are players.

The difference is that I don't think that any of the players you mentioned were rookies. Rookies (especially UDFA's) are a real long short to produce, especially when they missed your entire Training Camp and preseason.

Fair point. The hype could still be done without though, better safe than sorry you know what I mean bro?

What you expect to happen and what will actually happen are two different things, even though you say it with such certainty. IIRC you say this every year and every year UDFA beat out veterans for roster spots.

With Gronk injured, wouldn't that make it more likely Sudfeld makes the roster rather less likely? I don't know what you've seen from Fells or Hooman to think it would be such a tall order to replace them. If Sudfeld shows he's better than either of them he'll be on the roster, if he doesn't he won't, simple as that. Too many variables to start assigning practice squad spots in early July.

Green Ellis was productive, Bolden was at times last year, Hoyer was trusted enough to be Brady's only backup. Wendell was a very solid Center last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back