PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your sentiments on AV's return

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont care as long as he isnt stepping up for a game winning field goal. I have a slight feeling that that is always a possibility...

If AV wanted to end his career kicking in a dome, as has been suggested, what other team, besides the Colts, would be able to offer him that plus a good chance of winning it all again?

He doesn't annoy me half so much as people like Mike Reiss, among others, who all but state that Vinitieri's departure was entirely the fault of the Pats' FO. Some divorces are amicable--or at least not vicious.

Incidently, I expect the Colts to have lots of FG attempts this game. The Pats' defensive success is likely to come on red zone stops again.

That comment by AV that money was a "very, very minor part" of his decision just stinks. BelichikFan left out one possibility for this remark from AV- he was offended by the Pats lack of effort to sign him. So AV took his ego packing, fine. But he ought not to expect one bit of sentimental tribute from the fans he "loved." If the money wasn't an issue ( although this is most likely a lie as BelichikFan points out) then why didn't AV go right to BB and say, I want to work out a deal to stay? Sorry, chump, you picked the most hated team in the league and now you're the enemy. I could even care less now whether they stick you in the HOF or not. I hope your shoes fall when you kick here in NE and your little dome toes get cold. You'll get one brief clap from me when you kick off, then nothing. I root for the Patriots, not the Colts.

The carolina and rams superbowl were tied when he kicked the field goals. So he's legendary, not a god.

I give him props for the snow bowl.

The pats are fortunate they are so efficient in the redzone and haven't had to utilize the rookie for alot of kicks so far.

Adios Adam.... he's just like johnny damon.

Vinatieri is no longer a Patriot. He's had all the applause he should get for what he did in the past. Now, I am not saying to BOO him at all. But there is no reason to CHEER for him either. Give him the sound of silence. Much like was said in another thread.

You can CHEER for him when he enters the Hall of Fame for everything he meant to this franchise. But why do so now?

Honestly, with the way he choked in the Denver game last year, there is no reason to cheer for him.

There is no doubt in my mind..CHEER for him..and make it known..the fans of NE appreciate all he has done...THAT is ONLY for the first time...arfter that show him what it's like when one is on the enemy team...

If Adam were introduced before the game(unlikely) I'd applaud him for his contributions to 3 Super Bowls. Once the game starts he's the other teams kicker.

I was concerned when we didn't sign him, but I've thought much about it.

He's a kicker. He's not going to run the ball, or pass. He won't get any sacks or interceptions.

He's a freakin' kicker.

That's for the memories and all that, but besides kickoffs, where we're better off and extra points, (wow) all he can do is kick field goals.

We made him the highest paid kicker in the game. If that isn't enough, then bon voyage.

A kicker has 3 or 4 chances to affect the game.

Gostkowski has a strong leg. If he doesn't have the nerve you try out more kickers. The Hamburgler can kick now that he's healthy.

Ask yourself this. How many quarterbacks could have run that last minute drive against the Rams? Not many.

How many NFL kickers could have kicked that field goal?

His clutch kicking against Oakland was outstanding, but when time runs down and the other team has a 4 point lead, there's nothing he can do.

Because he's just a kicker.

PatsSteve1 said:
If Adam were introduced before the game(unlikely) I'd applaud him for his contributions to 3 Super Bowls. Once the game starts he's the other teams kicker.

yeah, my sentiments exactly. In wrapping this one up I hope the fans cheers him intially, and then conduct themselves towards him thereafter as an opponet while the game is on. Boy did you see BB's interview in Gilette on Wednesday after the Adam questions. He really looked quite pissed off, more so than normal. Don't know if that was b/c of his son or what but he really looked and sounded short. I have to wonder looking at that press conference if there is not some bad blood brooing there. I think there is. The Pats assigned a value to that position, Adam thought more of himself and off he went. I think that kinda pissed BB off. He knows the value of a good kicker (miss those kicks against the Rams in '01 and the Rams ripping up the 4th quarter that day, you would think NE woulda lost for sure. But they didn't...and we won:) )

Anyways, we have a new kicker now, hopefully he can write, if he has to, some history of his own... can't wait til Sunday...

I feel differently from most on this. I'll continue to be an AV fan. The reality is that the ball was on his boot in one of the greatest moments in New England sports history in 80 years and he knocked it through. (I understand what some say that the game was tied, but how many of you at the time didn't understand that the kick was very likely for the game? Momentum was totally on the Ram's side. If they had won the flip, it was likely curtains, and even if they didn't I wasn't in love with our chances.)

As for the circumstances under which he left, I don't really understand how we as patriots fans can be too critical. I get some resentment, but not too much. It seems almost like a double standard. The team has famously embraced the proposition that the team is all that matters and there is no room for sentimentality in player decisions. It will do whatever is in its best interest, no exceptions. How can we really get on a guy when he makes a decision in his own interest without sentimentality? It works both ways.

He's a colt now, and I'll root against him. If he comes up with a chance to beat the Pats, of course I'll root for him to shank it and cheer if he does. (But he won't.) Nevertheless, I'll always be an AV fan.

Halifax_Pats_Fan said:
Hey gang, just wanted to get your sentiments on Adam coming back....

brokeback1.jpg

I think this photo sums up my thoughts on AV.

PatsFaninAZ said:
I feel differently from most on this. I'll continue to be an AV fan. The reality is that the ball was on his boot in one of the greatest moments in New England sports history in 80 years and he knocked it through. (I understand what some say that the game was tied, but how many of you at the time didn't understand that the kick was very likely for the game? Momentum was totally on the Ram's side. If they had won the flip, it was likely curtains, and even if they didn't I wasn't in love with our chances.)

As for the circumstances under which he left, I don't really understand how we as patriots fans can be too critical. I get some resentment, but not too much. It seems almost like a double standard. The team has famously embraced the proposition that the team is all that matters and there is no room for sentimentality in player decisions. It will do whatever is in its best interest, no exceptions. How can we really get on a guy when he makes a decision in his own interest without sentimentality? It works both ways.

He's a colt now, and I'll root against him. If he comes up with a chance to beat the Pats, of course I'll root for him to shank it and cheer if he does. (But he won't.) Nevertheless, I'll always be an AV fan.

Most here, perhaps - although it's only a very vocal minority who have expressed blind animosity even here. All the local media polls this week indicate he will get a warm welcome - 60% or so saying they will cheer and the other 40% split between booing and no strong opinion either way. I think he left because he did feel disrespected and it's human nature to want to be wanted. They were all too willing to pay - only as you go.

I hope he makes all his kicks this season, and it just doesn't matter because they still don't have a playoff caliber defense and their HOF #'s QB comes up small in the big games. :D

I hope he Breaks his leg and never plays again.
I would have a good laugh at that one.

Willie55 said:
I'll be at the game. I'll cheer him the first time to show him appreciation for what he did here, but from there on out the money-grubbing-whore gets booed.

Amen to that! An obligatory pre-game cheer then it's over. He wears the hated Colts uniform now. He is part of the Polian brigade and that's low on the food chain inho. I don't want to see Adam or anyone get hurt, however, I do wish Adam many hook lefts, blocks and short kickoffs from here on out.

cstjohn17 said:
I agree with JJ.

But in all honesty I wish the Pats had fanchised him, the difference between Ghost and AV has not been a factor for the Patriots but his arrival at Indy has made a difference. Besides any mental edge he may give Indy in close games his 12 for 12 is one of the reasons they are 7-0, 4 games won by 5 points or less. If it was my decision I would have franchised him and used the 4th rounds picks on a LB. But the past is the past, he made his bed now he can go pad his stats and lose in the play-offs every year until he retires.

Sun 9/10 at NY Giants W 26-21
Sun 9/17 Houston W 43-24
Sun 9/24 Jacksonville W 21-14
Sun 10/1 at NY Jets W 31-28
Sun 10/8 Tennessee W 14-13
bye
Sun 10/22 Washington W 36-22
Sun 10/29 at Denver W 34-31

I disagree. Indy has had one of the most accurate kicker, VanderJerk, in the past few years. AV is not making the difference right now. VanderJerk was pretty solid for them in the regular season. Where AV may end up being the difference is in the playoffs where VanderJerk was less than his regular season near automatic self.

Man this is a tough one....the raider game kick, Superbowl tie breaking / winning kicks. All 28 or so of those fourth quarter kicks he has made in a row or some such awesome stat.

He NEVER should have left though and the way he left really sucks. maybe ownership can share the blame of him leaving for sure, but, at the end of the day - he choose to turn his back on all the devoted fans of New England. I cannot forgive him for leaving for such a small difference in salary.

The greedy little SOB could never get over being franchised and I really have a hard time with that.

Soooooo F him and I have a hunch he will re-injure himself trying to reach the goal line on his kickoffs after he sees what kind of a leg Gostowski has.

In the long run NE will be better off with a young and upcoming rookie with all kinds of upside.

AV;s better days are certainly behind him and the Gostkowski has just begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes