SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Your Favortite Two at Each Position

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Bostonian1962, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineMan

MaineMan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1
    ---
    RB:

SPILLER (#22) - Yeah, right. Like THAT will ever happen.
    BEN TATE (EARLY 3RD) - He'd be a great value for Taylor's spot. Montario Hardesty may be almost as good (also EARLY 3RD).
    DORIN DICKERSON (MID 3RD) - for the 3rd-down/Faulk role, which he should cover exceedingly well.
    MANASE TONGA (7TH RD) - a true FB (who can catch a bit) to take the place of either Morris or BJGE, and to eliminate the screwing around with "H-back/TE" and extra O-line guys.

TE:

PITTA (LATE 3RD) - great receiving TE; strong, agile, enthusiastic and smart enough to learn the blocking part.
    SICKO (7TH RD)

WR:

DAMIAN WILLIAMS (LATE 2ND) - young, decent size, not speedy, but an agile and accomplished route runner with good hands.
    ANDRE ROBERTS (MID 4TH) - a bit on the small side, but actually pretty quick (4.40), very good hands and sells a route fake like Bernie Madoff
    BLAIR WHITE (MID 4TH) - a bit taller and not at all slow, excellent route-runner with good hands who absolutely will not give up on a catch.
    Also really admire JORDAN SHIPLEY (MID 4th), but don't think we really need yet another slot guy.

DE/OLB Hybrid Pass-Rusher:
    BRANDON GRAHAM (#22, I hope) - Explosive first step, great repertoire of moves, superior leverage technique, relentless motor AND he sets the edge against the run very well. Like all guys for this "hybrid" position, he needs very good coverage safeties to back him up.
    DANIEL TE'O-NESHEIM (MID 4TH) - Not quite as explosive or accomplished as Graham, but just as relentless and probably a bit better in coverage.

3-4 DE:

TYSON ALUALU (AROUND #44) - Good size, solid, smart run-stopper with more than a little ability to penetrate. Can also play on the inside.

3-4 OLB:

ANYBODY BUT KINDLE - Seriously, the guy's gonna bust. HUGHES (LATE 1ST), MISI (LATE 2ND), WORILDS (LATE 2ND) or SAPP (LATE 3RD), even AJ EDDS (7TH) would be better choices.

ILB:

JAMAR CHANEY (MID 5TH) - Quick, agile, reads-reacts well, knows how to avoid/disengage blocks (attention, Mr. Guyton), tackles well, covers well. Donald Butler (3RD) is another possibility.

CB:

KYLE WILSON - (#22, maybe, if Graham is gone) - Covers like Asante, but doesn't gamble as much and tackles way better. Maybe not quite the next Revis, but not that far.

KAREEM JACKSON (probably way too early in the 2nd) - Maybe not quite Kyle Wilson, but probably as good as Butler.

RICHARD SHERMAN, Stanford (PFA) - Tall, smart, athletic, former WR - could develop into a Chris Cook type CB/S.

SAFETY:

TJ WARD (EARLY 4TH)
    CODY GRIMM (7TH)

O-LINE:

OC - MATT TENNANT (LATE 3RD)
    OG/OT - RODGER SAFFOLD (EARLY 2ND)
    OT - JARED VELDHEER (MID 3RD), TYLER EASTMAN (PFA)

QB:

MIKE KAFKA (7TH)

So, based on the guys I like and when they're likely to go, all we need is another 2nd, several 3rds, a couple more 4ths and a 5th - all while hanging on to our #22. Easy, right? I mean, if we don't plan on drafting anybody else before the 7th for the next two years.

2. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +212
    ---
    I forsee Calloway moving inside to RG or Veldheer to RT and Vollmer to LT. Bye bye Matt Light. I am be in the minority, but I believe Interior O-Line is almost as big a priority as WR and pass rush.

For the record I don't recommend us selecting Gronkowski either. In fact I don't want us to take a TE before Saturday at all, but if we were to take one he'd be my favorite of the bunch.

3. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +66
    ---
    Great list of guys. Dang, I can't wait for the draft to get here. :)

4. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +115
    ---
    I'll take a "value" approach:

WRs
    Joe Webb
    Kyle Williams

TEs
    Jeff Cottam
    Scott Sicko

Ss
    Myron Rolle
    Barry Church

RBs
    Ben Tate
    Chris Brown

QBs
    N/A

OTs
    Will Barker
    Derek Hardman

OLBs
    Jerry Hughes
    Adrian Tracy

NTs
    N/A

ILBs
    James Ruffin
    Brandon Sharpe

H-B / M-TE
    Jameson Konz
    Jeff Cumberland

G
    Charlie Tanner
    Matt McCracken

DE
    Vince Oghobaase
    Brandon Deaderick

CB
    Patrick Stoudamire
    David Pender

C
    Ted Larson
    Kevin Matthews

5. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +66
    ---
    Since the Pats ended up drafting 3 of my number one favorites to this post (McCourty, Taylor Price, and Mesko), I'm wondering if anybody else hit on anybody (easier to ask, than to slug through each post. :)

6. patsfan55

patsfan55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6
    ---
    Um, WOW!!!

7. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +48
    ---
    Nice job calling out Taylor Price. Not many people were talking about him on here.

8. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +66
    ---
    Thanks Cheese. I suppose it will only be worth a darned if he turns into something. :)

9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32
    ---
    You did incredibly good considering you were up against a guy who is almost impossible to read in BB...

All I got was Zoltan the punter and Deaderick. Although we did get two TE's and a mid round WR as I hoped, just not the ones I anticipated us targeting. Pioli and Parcell's snagged some of my binky's (Moeaki, Asamoah, Misi), so I don't feel like I was in left field fit wise... and sometimes that's the way the board falls (Tuna took Misi at 40...).

Polian (ugh) landed two as UDFA's (Hiller and White...). I really preferred Hiller to Robinson if the object was a fit here and not a developmental chip to flip. They're already lauding him in Indy for being cerebral, while some even noted him having (the Brady pre draft prototype) slight frame and middling arm...

I figured we'd see a CB along the way, just never imagined it would be on day 1. Although I did correctly anticipate the trade back to 27 and why...BB's love of value plus Jerry's being easier to read than Readers Digest.

10. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +66
    ---
    Deadrich was a great get on your part! What was the pre-draft buzz on him? I'd love it if he helped our boys. What do you know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.